• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Art of Vampire Knight Artbook

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like something I'd want.
I haven't been up to date on VK since Shojo Beat died, but I remembered how much I loved her art. I shall check it out next time I'm at B&N.
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when this book was coming out. Great to know! Very Happy
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Despite the gracious graphics, looking at the main heroine always make you remember how much an annoying imbecile she is in the story. So overall feeling is "mixed", rather than "stunning".
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz's presentation of her very first artbook may tempt even the cheapest, or most ambivalent, fans.

Guilty as charged! lol. Not cheap, but certainly ambivalent. The anime of Vampire Knight is a deliciously guilty pleasure of mine, but I've never cared enough to read the manga. However, I took one cursory glance at this in my local bookstore, and knew I had to have it.

Quote:
Hino's technical skills are excellent. It is clear how every piece of clothing hangs on or drapes over the bodies of her figures, as well as how the outfits function in terms of fastenings, lending even the most complex garments a believability often not present in fanciful manga getups. This is especially noticeable on page 61, where the lacing on the back of Kaname's jacket shows the details of how the ribbon is threaded through the loops, and the fabric's tension is palpable.

Even before picking the book back up to check, I knew exactly which picture you were referencing here. That one made quite an impression on me, too. That and the one with Yuuki peering over Kaname's shoulder as he's carrying her bridal style are probably my two favorites. Odd, since they both feature Kaname, and I'm not a Kaname fan, really.

Quote:
Proportions are generally good, but male hands and shoulders in a few images can be amusingly oversized.

If you think this is bad, Wild Ones by Kiyo Fujiwara would have you either rolling on the floor, or flinging the books across the room. Just about every time Rakuto picks Sachie up in the earlier volumes - holding her in an awkward position that I'm sure no man could ever accomplish, ever - and you see how HUGE his hands are in comparison with the girl he is holding...absolutely distracting. Vampire Knight didn't even faze me after that. lol.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 am Reply with quote
You should try the manga, it's still ongoing. The anime was good but the manga version is better, IMHO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1