• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AnimeNewsNetworkTV - NYAF '07 Day 3 and Wrap-up

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Awesome!

This is the kind of online convention coverage I have been searching for for years.

Good job everyone!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
Haha, "the One Piece"! That's just like my mom! Also, I loved the focus on cosplayers, especially since Bamboo makes the interviews really fun. I loved the male Tenten. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CMB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
All I can say is I hope to see more of this. Very Happy Very Happy
FocaL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
Looked like there was more starwars cosplay than anime cosplay.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
Interesting! You guys are shaping up. Whoever is filming needs to watch for jarring; that's a huge no-no in the realm of cinematography. There are also some great books on the rule of thirds, too. Study that and you're gold. However, your animation, sound effects, and talent are all pretty good. The ANN News Team must all be a collaboration of college friends? That's what I'm seeing... at least you guys are having fun though!

All in all, I enjoyed the show. Cool

/j
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
Good job! As I said on another post, the TV reports are progressing in the right direction. I was expecting more coverage from the final industry panels, but your final report was good. Final announcements were covered well & I liked the interviews of the dealers & the attendees. It was important to get the different perspectives. Thank you, Bamboo Dong, for all the different cosplayer interviews, as well as the cosplayer's mom. Looks like you got the upper hand in most of your battles! Except for the rabid Jawa (Star Wars) or whatever that was attacking you...
Bottom Line: Thumbs Up to ANN TV's coverage of NYAF!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Okina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
I'll be brief this time. Really...

The episodes have gotten better each time. And it was a pretty entertaining 20 mins. Bamboo's piece made me laugh quite a bit, and she did look very much into it.

I understand that I may have gone overboard earlier, but I do want to give credit where it's due. This show in its initial set had to establish itself on location in a fairly unfamiliar setting, and all things considering it did very well. Now it goes back to the studio where I know there's a certain comfort level, to iron out more wrinkles. All this I know will show in the future.

It was a nice way to wind down after a long grave shift for me. Omedetou!! Thumbs up!! See you next week.

Last edited by Okina on Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
The ANN News Team must all be a collaboration of college friends? That's what I'm seeing... at least you guys are having fun though!

Actually, no. We all met through ANN. Very few of us knew each other before getting involved in ANN. I knew absolutely no one at ANN before I or they got involved with the site (Zac and Justin have actually been involved longer than I have).

We've all become really good friends through ANN though, which is something I'm very happy with. There's no one at ANN that doesn't get along with the other staff members. We get along really well in fact, like a group of friends that go way back before College (and in fact, Bamboo joined ANN when she was 15).

-t
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
FocaL wrote:
Looked like there was more starwars cosplay than anime cosplay.

Maybe that's how it looks in the video but that's not how it was at the show, although the New York Jedi had a massive presence in the rear of the dealer's room. It kinda worked like a gradient; the closer you got to the back of the show floor, the more lightsabers you'd see.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just overly cynical and I'm letting bias in but I found the interviews with the cosplayers to be an utter waste of time, not only do their costumes look tacky (no I can't do any better but that doesn't mean I have to like theirs) but they clearly have no idea what to say or how to answer when on camera and watching Bamboo try to get a decent answer out of them was painful to watch...

I'd have really preferred more time spent on talking to, interviewing and watching panels and panelists who actually know something about what to say...

Maybe I'm just spoiled by generally good reporting (by no means perfect but good) from the BBC and I find this quite difficult to watch...I hide the fact that I am watching it from those around me yet I force my office to watch the inevitable Christmas anime when they (and of course I) am on the holiday shift. (I get stuck on it every year but it's not so bad, I just put anime on the office TV and get the guys to wire the phones up to the staff room...I'm sure we miss a fair few calls but no one expects good service over Christmas anyway).
Thondal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok... here is something I have to ask, and I may not have been the only one to think about this, at lest I hope not...

But why is there a clock in the Gurren Lagann clip at 01:18-01:22?? It may just be me but normally in it is not supposed to be there, right??
The first thing to hit my mind was " oh, no. oh hell no ", why?? Those things don’t come whit clocks...
And then it came. That it was hinted that it may get an online preview soon. If so, I do not think ADV would let anyone show even 5 sek of it. If it was a clip taken from when it was announced, wait, it had no clock back then...

other then that I will say that you did well, it is getting better and better, but is still to short for me, I would love it if it was longer. Naturally there vas something’s here an there but nothing big, as I do not blame the ANN people for the not so good interviews, all has it’s limits, like my spelling and how well it can go on your first date…
tripdragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, Or did I not see AANY of those cos players OR ANN at the con ? And I was there all three days

Plus the star wars thing sucked. Sorry I was miffed that they canceled bofa weapons for that.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Ha! I was wondering if I'd see my friends who were dealers at the con, wondered if they'd be in the background somewhere, but you actually interviewed one of them.

Then there's the mom talking about the kids in costumes. Ha. They're not all kids. Then she mentions a One Piece crossplayer. Actually, the 30 year old guy dressed as Robin (Tim Drake) kinda bugged me. And then there's male Ten Ten with the slow pan up. Ze goggles. Zey do nuzzink!

FocaL wrote:
Looked like there was more star wars cosplay than anime cosplay.

Uh.. Star Wars cons and costumers have been around long before most anime ones. So, I'm not surprised to see Star Wars costumes. Personally I like to cosplay obscure manga or indie American comic characters.
Codain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Thondal wrote:
But why is there a clock in the Gurren Lagann clip at 01:18-01:22??

Its pretty obvious. That clip is taken off Japanese TV (most likely a clip from a fansub). Gurren Lagann is run in the morning as a kids show and like many morning programs, a clock is shown.

Like you mentioned, its doubtful ADV would release any clip of Gurren Lagann so great work ANN on getting the inside scoop Wink

I think the 20 min format is much better and kept me entertained instead of skipping past each little ad break.

The only complaint I had was that it seemed like you really wanted to push for 20 minutes due to the comments on the forum. A whole lot of the Cosplay interviews should have been cut since the cosplayers were not getting into the interview and both bamboo and the cosplayers seemed a little awkward.

Aside from that, its still a highly entertaining show and at least its informative and factual. I would much prefer to watch ANN TV than a studio produced show like GoAnimeTV that seems to not care about discussing anime factually and cares about being popular and commercial.
Thondal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
Codain wrote:
Thondal wrote:
But why is there a clock in the Gurren Lagann clip at 01:18-01:22??

Its pretty obvious. That clip is taken off Japanese TV (most likely a clip from a fansub). Gurren Lagann is run in the morning as a kids show and like many morning programs, a clock is shown.

ok. that was my bad, for not saying i knew that, but I just wander to put up a point, and not say what it mete... (an I do myself not live in the US so I'm not a 100% sure) but is it not illegal to download a fansub (these is no mater what), and then use it like that? and if so what is it doing on ANNTV?? I do not think that it is a good thing (just like I do not like the previews saying fansub).

it may just be me, how is an"behind", and I may be the only one that cares, but for something or another I can't let it go...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2