• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The 2007 Holiday Gift Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Oh yeah, I remember this from last year I think. These are fun.

Minor nitpick:

Quote:
Everyone knows the story by now – bored, misguided teenage genius Light finds a notebook that comes with a handy-dandy Death God named Ryuk that follows whatever murderous orders Light jots down in its pages.

Not really. Ryuk doesn't follow his orders at all. Infact, he doesn't even really do anything except observe. The death note will kill anyone who's name is written in it via heart attack or other method if specified. Ryuk has nothing to do with it.

Try it this way and you'll get it.

Quote:
Light finds a notebook that follows whatever murderous orders Light jots down in its pages. It also comes with a handy-dandy Death God named Ryuk.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
The descriptions were funny. ^^ I had no idea that there was a Princess Tutu thinpack out! I think I'll have to buy it for myself after Christmas...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What better way to brighten up a misanthropic teenager's dreary day than with the first volume of Death Note?

Oh gods. *headdesk* Yes, that's just what we need-- for the misanthropic teens of the world to amplify their emo powers. Inspire them to start threatening to kill their classmates and write "WATASHI WA KIRA DESS" notes.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I laught out loud when I read the Death Note description. heheh It's a really good anime and I guess I fall into the category who thinks Light is insane. Still like it for the suspense and plot twists. I like the part where the High School Musical 2 DVD was in his closet. Hahah emo kids are hilarious. Great gift ideas! I think on Answerman there was a special last Decemeber on gift ideas, but I'm glad the gift ideas has it's on special article.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The descriptions of the things are great.

Also, I loved the subtle pimping of "Oniisama E..."
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac and Bamboo: two great tastes that taste great together. Excellent guide and nice to see it was supplemented with a few additional gift ideas as well.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
ANN is nice to the pedos. Ah, Christmas is in the air.

Great fun.
Ruremi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Really nice guide. The second article was really funny. I'm hoping iDOLM@STER gets a US release; one of my favorites of this year. Fun read, and good laughs.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Note too self, stay away from Air. I think Light starts out with a good idea (making the world a better place) but the way he goes about it is wrong (murder, setting himself us as God). Happy Holidays folks!
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm the proud owner of that Kaleido Star boxset! Cheapest 26 episodes I ever paid for. ADV was insane to give them away for freaking 40$ at the time. I don't know what the price is now, but if it's anyway close to what I got it for, every anime fan in the USA ought to really buy the damn thing.

Now I wonder how much the Princess Tutu boxset costs...

Twage wrote:
ANN is nice to the pedos. Ah, Christmas is in the air.

Laughing

Great article by the way. Although AIR always scare me with its noseless characters. I mean, people like the show and the design is probably moe 'n stuff, but I can't for the life of me get past the where are their noses!? stage to even dare touch the show.

Cute girls doing cute things is fun, but I'm more of a Minami-ke type person. Meh.

Extra points for the emo shot at Death Note. Razz
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Kaleido Star: Amazing Collection - 1st Season (Thinpak): $14.99 (B&M)

At Best Buy. Go in, purchase via instore kiosk and its' that price. Not available on Best Buy.com.

In case anyone wanted to pick that up for their friend. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Starre257

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I own both the Kaleido Star and Princess Tutu thinpaks. I got the Kaleido Star one for around $25 when Tower Records closed. The Princess Tutu one I got for around $42 online, with shipping.

I recommend both of them to... well, I won't say anyone, but anyone who likes cute stuff.

I'd also like to note that the Princess Tutu box isn't a thinpak in the way ADV has done them in the past... it contains every volume of the series complete with all the extra features.
Akari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that it is a little misleading to call the Princess Tutu DVD Collection a thinpak. When I think of a thinpak box set I think of a small artbox containing the DVDs in thinpak cases. That is not the case with the Princess Tutu set as it is packed in a big DVD case that has holders in it that hold the individual DVDs. It's case is a lot like the case that BANDAI used for the Scrapped Princess DVD Complete Collection. By the way, The Right Stuf doesn't classify the Princess Tutu or Scrapped Princess sets as thinpaks.

Despite the fact that ADV didn't release Princess Tutu as a thinpak box set with a nice artbox it is still a nice set. I really like the fact that the DVDs in the set are the same as the ones that were sold individually. It is a great series that is definitely worth checking out. I preordered it during the last TRSI ADV sell and got it about a month and a half ago.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
My guess is that the Oniisama E reference was pure coincidence; IIRC the system automatically "greenlinks" when titles are typed out, and the words "Dear Brother" just happened to be used. As for the "little sister" archetype catching on more with Japanese fans, I speculate that it relates to Japan's plummeting birthrate. Having siblings of any kind is rare, so the little sister characters fill that gap and allow boys & men to fantasize about playing a "big brother" role. While AIR is a good choice (though not available in complete collection atm), I can't help thinking that there's a series whose title contains the words "Princess" and "Sister" that would be pure perfection for little-sister aficionados.
samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Great article by the way. Although AIR always scare me with its noseless characters. I mean, people like the show and the design is probably moe 'n stuff, but I can't for the life of me get past the where are their noses!? stage to even dare touch the show.
I never considered lack of noses as an issue; big eyes and small noses are par for the course for anime, so AIR's designs only felt a little deviant from the norm. It's not like it's a series that's aiming for realism in the first place. Idk, I'm just the type who gets more annoyed by "conspicuous presence" of a feature I don't like than by conspicuous absence in character design.
Quote:
f you're a nerd – and if you're reading a holiday gift guide exclusively about anime, it's a safe bet that you are – then you probably have a friend who uses Unix, wears suspenders, prides himself on his giant beard, enjoys overly complicated war simulation board games, leans libertarian and most of all, hasn't seen any new anime since 1996 and likes it that way.
Laughing It's funny cause it's true, although the main example that sprang to mind is a Mac user and does watch some of the latest anime like Naruto and Bleach.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
My guess is that the Oniisama E reference was pure coincidence; IIRC the system automatically "greenlinks" when titles are typed out, and the words "Dear Brother" just happened to be used.

Aww, come on, give me a little more credit than that! Nothing I write is ever pure coincidence. ; )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3