• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Library Group Finalizes 'Great Graphic Novels' Nominations

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand how they nominate these. Sure, some are really deserving, like Mushishi, but, say, Gintama or Vampire Knight? I mean, they might be entertaining to some people, but neither really has any substance whatsoever; they're just fun reads.
saorren

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
what? no eyeshield 21? geez
reversethief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote
Well, at least someone appreciates the goodness of Kekkaishi!
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the second volume of Dramacon.

Go Svetlana! Anime smile

You know, now that I think of it, It surprises me that I hadn't heard anything about DramaCon since coming here. You would think a work so in tune with the American fan would arouse more interest.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain why there are multiple volumes of series nominated? Why can't it just be 1 volume to represent the entire series?

My votes go to the smaller publishers. Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms is easily the best title on that list. But I'm also fond of To Terra and Translucent. Some of the other series are alright, but not necessarily something I consider award-worthy. Although, King of Thorn is pretty freaking awesome as well.
Celes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Avalon High: Coronation? Really?

I mean, the art was ok I guess, but the writing was pretty awful. Meg Cabot can barely write a novel coherently when she has the page space for her rambling sentences, but when she only had a few lines per frame for Avalon High, it was like a train wreck.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The now-defunct Korean comics publisher ICE Kunion picked up one nomination
AHHHH!!! SO THAT'S why they haven't published Forest Of Gray City volume 2 yet. Evil or Very Mad Ugh. At least Netcomics is active.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Quote:
The now-defunct Korean comics publisher ICE Kunion picked up one nomination
AHHHH!!! SO THAT'S why they haven't published Forest Of Gray City volume 2 yet. Evil or Very Mad Ugh. At least Netcomics is active.

Don't worry, Yen Press picked up all the ICE Kunion titles and will be releasing them in January. Very Happy
cjovalle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I really don't understand how they nominate these. Sure, some are really deserving, like Mushishi, but, say, Gintama or Vampire Knight? I mean, they might be entertaining to some people, but neither really has any substance whatsoever; they're just fun reads.

The process of nomination is discussed here:
http://www.ala.org/ala/yalsa/booklistsawards/greatgraphicnovelsforteens/policies.cfm

Basically, the committee makes nominations based on their own observations (they're all public or school YA librarians) and/or recommendations from others, which a committee member needs to second.

I'd suppose that most are pretty informed and keep up to date on sales and other indications of popularity. Plus, publishers do talk to library associations (including ALA); I know I've seen Viz and others represented at the Texas Library Association annual conference.
RainOfSteel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
When I checked the nominations list, I could not locate Nausicaä.

That's an oversight that calls this list's credibility into serious question as far as I'm concerned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1