• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chow Yun-Fat Joins Dragonball Movie as Master Roshi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. The moment I read this, I immediately burst out in laughter and I don't think I'll be able to stop as long as that news is up there.

Just, holy crap. This movie has an official chance now. I love it so much, I'd never picture Chow-Yun Fat asking for a puff puff in between Bluma's boobies. Oh god it's so rich it's almost artery clogging.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
well, this is no shakespeare, you see, if you are looking for an intense deep psychological drama thriller with "out of the wall" action effects..well...this is dragon ball you see....

Is supposed to be nonsense to start with Laughing Laughing
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, and I thought that Bulletproof Monk was the lowpoint of his career.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
When I read this, I cackled like a high-pitched old lady fangirl, with several curse words strung in.

Dude, I don't even care about the naysayers anymore. I'm not a DBZ fan. But this will be AMAZING. AMAZING. And I don't mean an A+ quality movie with great acting amazing, I mean like Stephen Chow Shaolin Soccer ROFLMAO amazing. I CANT' WAIT.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Say whaa?! This is highly unexpected news. I would love to see Chow Yun-Fat be a pervert, but I still do not see it!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scortia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Chow-Roshi: "So, can I please look at your panties, Miss Christine Daae? It would honor me greatly."
Monumension

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm not a fan of DBZ, but if Chow Yun-Fat is involved I think it can be worth a look.

As for the comedy thing: I remember one of his late 1980-flick's; God of Gamblers, where he spent most of the movie acting like a five year old kid (he lost his memory and wits in an accident) so this is certainly not the first time he's flirting with humoristic roles.
Saint Juste

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm against in my 99% to this movie
They are filming it on my city SO I'LL BE ASAP LOOKING WHERE XD I think in colonia Santa Fe?
This is the first time I'm happy to be Mexican LOL I want to see I want to be an extra!! lol... ok maybe I can just see from afar XD;
But any way we are breading the same pollution that makes me happy enough XD
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh c'mon guys, I don't know why some of you can't see it happen. I definitely could. I mean, I know Chow Yung Fat can act comedy, heck, I've seen him do it before. And all they really need to do is give him a little makeup to make him look like an old martial arts master, and we're good. I mean honestly, who were you expecting to play Roshi anyways? In fact, probably the only way at all to do Roshi's character is to do it this way.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Saint Juste wrote:
Even though I'm against in my 99% to this movie
They are filming it on my city SO I'LL BE ASAP LOOKING WHERE Anime hyper I think in colonia Santa Fe?
This is the first time I'm happy to be Mexican LOL I want to see I want to be an extra!! lol... ok maybe I can just see from afar Anime hyper;
But any way we are breading the same pollution that makes me happy enough Anime hyper

Santa Fe and Durango I think, being ashamed of how the project looks won't stop many of the people I know to try to being extras. actually fliers were given to apply as an extra. I got one but I won't be able to go and try T.T
Strephon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:

The fact that it was an over the top cartoon is why you can't make it live action. The original design, the style of the fights, the way the anime did it it was never meant for live action.

It wasn't created as anime, though; it was created as manga. Just because it was adapted one way for one medium doesn't mean that a different adaptation for a different medium can't be valid.
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Good casting. I think at the very least this will be a fun way to spend the afternoon. I know I'll be looking forward to it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Berserk: Outside of the last fight scene, I actually liked Hulk, but I can see why people had problems with it.

Zero: I liked Bulletproof Monk, too. It was fun, if you didn't take it too seriously.

Anyway, methinks they're going to tone down the perviness of Roshi to make it family-friendly. As for the comedy, yeah, he's great at it, but he usually does the highbrow stuff; so seeing him act ghetto makes me a little concerned.
ClichedUsername

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
Wow, and I thought that Bulletproof Monk was the lowpoint of his career.

spoiler[I thought his lowpoint was his role as that Singaporean pirate leader in that last Pirates of the Caribbean Movie. >.> ]
I didn't like Bulletproof Monk much either, but at least this is different. Chow Yun-Fat looked like he was going to have a serious role in the movie, but he didn't fit in because it was still a buddy-cop movie. Bulletproof Monk tried to mix together Neo-Nazis, immortality, and buddy-cop movies but couldn't really go over-the-top because it also had to sound srs.

Interesting casting role, though. It's kind of hard for me to imagine a guy who was Inspector "Tequila" and the emperor in "Curse of the Golden Flower" play the role of a super-lech.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
This is a step in a right direction but hardly proves anyhing. Roshi is a relatively minor characer and Yun-Fat is one of the biggest Asian movie stars (which should help when they marke it in Asia). The fact that he was in a recent summer blockbuster helps too.

Still, I can see him in the role but I'm not yet sold on this movie yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3