• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha: Sailor Moon 1 Reprinted after 50,000 Sell Out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:12 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Zac wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
So WIPO lied with its report.

Piracy doesn't hurt anything because that last Beatles reissue did really well.
How about that, they Made something avaiable at a decent price and people didn't steal it. STRANGE, ISN'T IT?!

11 dollars SRP is standard price for manga, SM has a little more pages but I doubt the page count is why people are buying Sailor Moon.
Standard doesn't necessarily mean not decent.

At which point your post makes no sense as people pirate similar priced manga all the time.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
So WIPO lied with its report.

There's a surprise.

Taking one example as proof that the United Nations is lying ~ don't you think that's a bit puerile?

Last edited by Kikaioh on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
Maaan, I'm still on the fence about buying mine, but the library keeps not having a copy of it in! Why on earth would they only get one copy of this book? But having no TV show nostalgia and not sure if the manga is actually worth all the praise or if it's just nostalgia, still iffy. Actually my friend wants this for Xmas, I could buy a copy, read it, and if I like it, just buy another one for her!

But it's awesome to hear that Kodansha is printing money, has anyone made a gif of a Sailor Moon GN printing money? Also, according to this blog, Sailor Moon 2, which is even out yet, is the second bestselling manga! I'm assuming this list includes pre-order obviously.

But it's not only been on Book Depository's #1 comic and graphic novel seller for a month, but it was selling enough to make it to their overall top 10 all category sellers, that's impressive for a manga!
akhu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
Long live to Sailor Moon =) this is so great n______n
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Hey, this is great! Very Happy I'm guessing the older generation of anime fans is out in solidarity showing support for this release. I never got into Sailor Moon myself, but the next time I pass by B&N I'll check see what the hullabaloo is about.

In any case, good to see that old school still rules. Cool
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Holy cow, that's pretty amazing, wonder if TokyoPop realized if they would be just printing money if they had rereleased this series....

Which they lost the license like, years ago. At least a decade IIRC. To Stu, it was only a Tuesday.

Ol' Stu wanted to concentrate on his own graphic novel Princess Ai. Wasn't concerned with anything else, imo.

And it would have been printing money if they treated the series like it deserved.

As for selling out on the Distribution level or the retail level...I'm voting for the retail level!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Ol' Stu wanted to concentrate on his own graphic novel Princess Ai. Wasn't concerned with anything else, imo.

Nonono.....even before Stu went mid-life crisis pedo on us. I think theirs like a 3-5 year gap between TP loosing the Sailor Moon license and DJ Milky doing Princess Ai.

Quote:
And it would have been printing money if they treated the series like it deserved.

IIRC, it was due to some shenanigans on the Japanese side, not TP's fault.

(Mein Gott, I just defended TP.)
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Just comes to show that nothing can beat the classics. : )
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
animegirl04 wrote:
Sweet! I hope they see how well it's doing and decide to release the anime again too Very Happy This time with a good dub Smile

That is what I have been saying. Though I still watch the DIC versions to this day , i definitely would take seeing an uncut english dub. Especially one for the Sailor Stars series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Nonono.....even before Stu went mid-life crisis pedo on us. I think theirs like a 3-5 year gap between TP loosing the Sailor Moon license and DJ Milky doing Princess Ai.

Stop with the 'pedophile' thing. It's useless mean-spirited slander; you don't like the guy, but mindlessly smearing him with whatever the worst thing you can think of will not be tolerated here.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
For this I am glad I had my copy preordered... I think all the volumes that came to my local store flew.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3