• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Niconico to Jointly License Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potassium

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Lol. Downloads for fansubs never reach millions. At most, a torrent for a fansub reaches 1000-10000+ only.

Think you forgot a zero there. http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrents&sort=4

Still isn't millions, but it's a lot more than you're suggesting.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Well this is going to be interesting for Funimation, I've been reading most of your comment, it's going to be one heck of a competition between Funico and Crunchyroll. Then again, I would like to see Crunchyroll open up a Japanese site for anime streaming and maybe streaming niche show from other country in Japan.

Oh, I don't know if any of you know this, Hulu is going to Japan. Here's a video of it although it's in Japanese. As I say, this is going to be interesting for both countries. We get this and Japan get Hulu (if Crunchyroll can get a Japanese site, that would sort of even the odd).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
karenai_hana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Clicking on the "Settings" box at the top of the panel indeed lists an "Enlarge to fullscreen view" option, but it is greyed out. I can only assume you paid the token fee for a beta premium account when that option was available. (Clicking the "Join Premium" option now results in a page with the message "Premium Members coming soon!").

You can still be a premium beta member for 25¢ here:
http://help.niconico.com/2011/07/what-is-a-25-member.html

25¢ membership lasts until the end of the beta period which they say will end in winter.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Lol. Downloads for fansubs never reach millions. At most, a torrent for a fansub reaches 1000-10000+ only.

Think you forgot a zero there. http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrents&sort=4

Still isn't millions, but it's a lot more than you're suggesting.

Because it's naruto, bleach, etc. But look at the those outside shounen (your typical late night anime similar to the ones Funi licensed).

EDIT: Okay. At most, it's 50-60K (but generally, for ongoing series like C3, Haganai those reach only around 10K). Though, you have to consider that these numbers doesn't reflect US only downloaders. How many of those 50-60K downloaders actually come from the US.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
One of the major problems that this doesn't address is that anime fans are taught to reject streaming for fansubs

Who is doing this teaching?

Sorraffy wrote:
Quote:
Funico-licensed titles will be available through download-to-own options such as those that Funimation use for its current titles

Quote:
Funimation Discontinues Download-to-Own Service

I must be misinterpreting something here

They discontinued an old DTO service that no-one was using any more. You can still download episodes on iTunes.

Rukiia wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Blood C is CLAMP. Of COURSE it was going to be licensed!

Then how come we have yet to see the rest of XXXHolic get licensed? :<

Because it did rather badly as I recall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what some of you guys are thinking, but NicoNico's player is crap. Hulu is better, but those commericals... even if you get Hulu+, you *still* get the ads. Only CR allows you to skip all the ads, plus many of their shows are in 720p. Yes, I like Crunchyroll and hope they can stay in the game.

As for Funimation and their new joint venture: I wish them well. If we can get NicoNico shows streamed via the Funimation (Hulu) player, then I can live with that, especially if it means that we'll get simulcasts that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Overall, this probably makes things tougher for Crunchyroll with NicoNico being a Japanese business and Crunchyroll... not being a Japanese business. It's good for Funimation, though those who mentioned that Crunchyroll competes with Funimation's streaming should be aware that Niconico *also* competes with Funimation, or rather they did (maybe they still do?)

I think Niconico did this because they found it harder than expected to break into the US market and are going to use Funimation to help make inroads in that department.

All in all, a good development for us. I just hope that Crunchyroll wont be hurt too badly by the new state of affairs.
batou37

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I don't know what some of you guys are thinking, but NicoNico's player is crap. Hulu is better

Have you gone and seen Guilty crown there? If not do yourself a favor and check it out. It makes Hulu's video quality look like your watching it under water in a pool....with way too much chlorine. Niconico's vid quality of it is up to par with pretty much anything I've seen at CR.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Let me get this straight, since I may misunderstood something.

Niconico is the another company that joins Funi, Sentai, Viz, RightStuf, Bandai, and Media Blasters in the term of anime licensing?

And Niconico licenses any anime as long as Funi isn't interested in dubbing one of 'em and hands over to Niconico?

Someone help me out since I didn't bother reading the messages above me? ;(
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I don't know what some of you guys are thinking, but NicoNico's player is crap. Hulu is better

Have you gone and seen Guilty crown there? If not do yourself a favor and check it out. It makes Hulu's video quality look like your watching it under water in a pool....with way too much chlorine. Niconico's vid quality of it is up to par with pretty much anything I've seen at CR.

I watched F/Z and Blood-C using their player, and that was enough for me. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't feel like going back there at the moment.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I watched F/Z and Blood-C using their player, and that was enough for me. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't feel like going back there at the moment.

I just checked it out, and wow, they have really learned a few things about video compression since last season. WAY better, and about on par with the best 720p anime streams I've seen.

Their full-screen button still isn't working properly tho.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I just checked it out, and wow, they have really learned a few things about video compression since last season. WAY better, and about on par with the best 720p anime streams I've seen.

Their full-screen button still isn't working properly tho.

Hrm. I may check it out again later, then. It's not like I've written them off entirely or anything. It's just... up till now, CR has been my preferred outlet for streaming: I know what I'm getting with them, and they've done pretty well by me. Hulu's ad campaign just drives me batty (and it *does not* like my adblocker, heh.)

N^2s player defaults with those *annoying* comments turned on and a tiny size. It also has glacial download speed, and if you want to skip to another part of the episode? Forget it. It was just a mess for me. I am *extremely* happy that CR is also streaming F/Z now.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched anything from Nico Nico since Gurren Lagann first aired and that was when the site was very new.

I don't know what to think about this merger. If it brings more choices to anime fans that is a good thing. But if it will hurt Cruncyroll I think that is a bad thing. I think competition is healthy and creates more choices for us.

Still I am hoping for the best!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Fate/Zero and Blood-C are both 360p video, and Fate/Zero sometimes suffers from niconico.jp's "economy mode" during periods of high demand.

By comparison, Guilty Crown is 720p video, and appears to be well encoded. The remaining Fall series are set to be in HD, as well.

As Guility Crown is at Hulu now, you can easily do a comparison of video quality.

Some of these series (i.e., Shakuagan no Shana III) will likely be at no other streaming site, so unless you want to resort to illegal means, you'll need to get used to NicoNico.com.
AntztheGreat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
For everyone complaining about the fullscreen, make sure you actually have it set to fullscreen.

http://i52.tinypic.com/21ed9if.jpg

It defaults to browser size for whatever reason.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
I just watched Guilty Crown on Funi's site. It appears that they're using a different player for this one... it's *not* the Hulu player, and it runs and looks pretty nice. I was impressed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4