Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Print Magazine to End Next March


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
detectiveai



Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Why are people acting like they've cancelled print runs of an individual series' volumes? If you actually liked a series enough to collect various issue of Shonen Jump, why not by the volumes? Nothing is changing there.

This is a lot better than giving me a few chapters from two or three years ago.


Not everyone reads it at the same time as hardcore fans, especially not younger kids. Also, they're not that far behind. In OP, they're finishing up Water 7 which isn't THAT old.

Honey_Zero wrote:
Pifft. I never read the magazines anyway. Why pay $9.00 for a single chapter in a magazine, with only about one series I like in it, when I can buy the coleclected volume for only a dollar or two more?


It's not 9.00. It's only 5.00 or so, at least where I live. :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TaiChiChasers



Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
This so wierd because three weeks, ago I just happened to see Shonen Jump in the magazine section of my local store and I thought it had been out of print for a while. x.x
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thewonderer2



Joined: 05 Aug 2011
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
thewonderer2 wrote:
Hopefully idiots in America will stop reading Naruto and Bleach now and read real manga like Full Metal Alchemist and One Piece


that was a joke right? either way it makes me laugh. Laughing

(opinions are fun arn't they.)



Anywho, looking foward to seeing how this works out for VIZ.


You can have the opinion to like or not anything. BUT Nothing excuses the horrible writing in those series. Nothing justifies the amount of sales both of those series have accumulated.

The fact that so many great series take a back seat to those two here in America sickens me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NimbusRain



Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Even though Shonen Jump was merely a shell of what it used to be, this news still makes me sad. I've got no problem with anime broadcasts taking everything online, but manga is a format that really doesn't need to enter the digital age.

I was a subscriber to SJ from Issue 1, and it introduced me to countless series I wouldn't have given a chance otherwise. I remember how excitedly I would come home from school at the start of the month, hoping to find the latest issue in my mailbox. Then of course, I'd read the entire thing in one sitting.

The writing started to go way downhill as the years went on though. In the beginning they had thought-provoking insightful articles like historical connections in Rurouni Kensin or behind-the-scenes stories in a manga studio. Their recent articles were nothing more than blatant sales pitches. "Hey all of you young ninjas! Be like Naruto and buy all of our merchandise!" I can remember how furious I was when they started advertising graphic novels in the margins of the actual manga pages. Laughing

Needless to say, I canceled my subscription 2 or 3 years ago, so this news isn't all that devastating. As a relic from my childhood though, this magazine will certainly be missed. I just hope they continue to print graphic novels and don't decide to go 100% digital. I read most of my manga outside, so I can't exactly just drag my computer along with me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Revolutionary



Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 328
Location: Too Far South

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
NimbusRain wrote:
I've got no problem with anime broadcasts taking everything online, but manga is a format that really doesn't need to enter the digital age.


Exactly why not?

Digital publishing allows for much faster publishing (simultaneous with Japan, for example) as well as the chance for manga that would never be licensed for print editions to make it over here.

Outside of that, the option for purchasing printed volumes exists. So, really, it's a win-win situation - we can read the manga online really close as to it gets released in the WSJ and then we can buy the physical volumes later. You may only have the chance to read some manga online, but at least they got to us at all, you know?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Hiro94



Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 271

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
This news really upset me i am going to miss reading Shonen jump out of a print book. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bj_waters



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote
nyce1 wrote:
To the one who said I am the only who feels this way it is certainly not true I have discussed this heavily tOday among other reader of manga and nearly all of them agree with the validity of the arguments I posted here. I agree the print medium was important but as we move closer to the digital era the practice of magazines going digital is important it may well be the only way to save magazines and newspapers and even comic books all of which are suffering from LOW READERSHIP due news and media coming out much faster than print media.

...

The print version ending was inevitable print media is so very expensive and they Could not afford to pro t WSJ weekly in America

As far a preference I understand liking one over another but given that fact that ereaders are becoming much more affordable who's to say preferences won't change after all a perefence is based off an opinion and opinions are subject to change.


I don't think we're really denying the inevitability of it. With some serious introspection, we should admit that this change was going to happen. But that doesn't mean we have to like it. Sure, there may be people who will now start an SJ subscription who didn't before and sure, Viz is going to make money on this whereas the print SJ was more of a gamble, hoping for graphic novel sales. However, I know that I'm not alone when I say that I prefer print and would pay more money for it.

I think one facet of our culture that you're forgetting is one that is universal in most hobbies like ours: the collectors. While the modern nerd and otaku might not be as interested in having a collection, but I know that I like having bookshelves full of manga and anime. Here on ANN's Shelf Life, I can't think of an article that didn't end with someone wanting to show off their shelves. The idea of physically owning something has always been a part of our hobby, something that digital distribution can't fulfill. I understand that it's only just the magazine that's going digital and that Viz still plans on having print releases of the volumes, but I'd prefer it if they continued a print magazine.

Of course, I recognize that periodicals like newspapers and magazines have been suffering due to the growth of the internet, and I'm generally okay with that because I understand that most people would throw older papers and magazines away, so never getting the potential piece of trash is appealing. Books, on the other hand, should never disappear (in my opinion). I know that eReaders are becoming more affordable, that doesn't mean they're preferable for everybody. You argue that opinions and preferences can change, but they can change just as much as they can stubbornly remain. I think the problem, then, is that comic books (and manga, by extension) fall on the cusp between periodicals and books. Some people are willing to simply throw away the older issues because keeping up with the current story is all that's important to them (and that's fine), but other people want to have the collection, to see through the history of a series or publication, and that's much harder to appreciate when the "collection" is digital.

In short, something I love is dying. Understanding why it's dying isn't going to lessen the blow at all. While I understand the business and practical reasons for why things are going digital the way they are (and I do like some of it), I am going to resist the idea that EVERYTHING be digital. I know that I'm talking in extremes here, but in this time of massive and constant change, I feel that's how things are going. Other people may fully embrace the future potential of cloud computing, but it just makes me uncomfortable.

nyce1 wrote:
Piracy when people have a good option i find them less likely to steal and are willing to pay for things choosing to buy them. Piracy is a never ending battle but it's nice to have a way to combat it even if it's the slightest iTunes really saved the music industry making music affordable and easy.


No argument. As I stated before with Netflix, the trick to beating piracy is through convenience.

nyce1 wrote:
And finally I think people took my usage of technophobia was taken too literally obviously if the people here were truly technophobic they would not be in this forum but this is a form a slight form. but none of you truly saw the value of any of my points which I think is a shame. I truly think that this is a good idea and yes I am sad to see sj end I've been reading since issue 2 but I think this is a way to survive and thrive in an ever evolving world where technology is becoming more and more readily available please members of the forum don't discount this method of media give it a chance and if you still dislike then feel free to message me I will be glad to hear you out. I think this is a great method and I will support it.


Then support it. If you think this is a 100% good idea, then this is nothing but good news for you. Be happy. But understand that this isn't a 100% good idea for everyone, that there are people who think this is only a 60% good idea, or even a 25% good idea. Everyone responds to change in different ways, based on their personal beliefs and expectations.

Again, don't get me wrong. I don't think Viz made this decision lightly. I'm certain that if Viz had the money, they'd have all sorts of print magazines like in Japan, but they just don't have that money.

AilisKnil wrote:
So many of you seem to think you are entitled to having physical copies of this publication despite the fact that Viz is obviously not profiting from it. Rather than criticizing Viz, perhaps you should take a look at the consumers. There are plenty of things to dislike about this publisher, but its decision to move to a more affordable medium after YOU, the consumer, failed to meet its expectations is not one of them.


I don't know about "entitled," but I think we've certainly been grateful. If there's something we like, we defend it; it's only natural. The idea of having a magazine like Shonen Jump was to foster sales of graphic novels and for me, it worked. I own over 100 of their volumes, many of which I never would have considered picking up if it weren't for SJ. I fail to see how it's MY fault because I gave them what money I could in my circumstances. If expectations weren't met, there was nothing I could have done about it. Perhaps you see this as being a bit ego-centric and not seeing it from the big picture, but when it comes down to money, my money is the only money I can control. Personally, even after cancelling SJ, I consider Viz Media to be a great company (at least when it comes to manga; their anime production is a different story), and I plan on continuing to support them as long as they put out quality products and license great series.

thewonderer2 wrote:

You can have the opinion to like or not anything. BUT Nothing excuses the horrible writing in those series. Nothing justifies the amount of sales both of those series have accumulated.

The fact that so many great series take a back seat to those two here in America sickens me


Um, you are aware that Naruto and Bleach are staggeringly popular in Japan as well, right? Sure, so is One Piece and FMA, but I speculate the major reason these series are popular here is because they're popular in Japan. Basically, where people live can have nothing to do with what people like. While I personally think there are better manga myself (FMA included), but hating something because it's popular doesn't make you a better critic. You claim that the writing is terrible, but given their audience and expectations, they're doing pretty good. In fact, if you consider these (and One Piece) as simply a glorified re-tread of Dragon Ball, I'd argue that the writing is pretty good. Calling them DBZ version 1.5 or 2.0 only shows that they're improving over their ancestors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BorgmanJayce



Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Posts: 298
Location: Hades via UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
So many of you seem to think you are entitled to having physical copies of this publication despite the fact that Viz is obviously not profiting from it. Rather than criticizing Viz, perhaps you should take a look at the consumers. There are plenty of things to dislike about this publisher, but its decision to move to a more affordable medium after YOU, the consumer, failed to meet its expectations is not one of them.


What about people who live in other English-speaking places like the UK and Ireland, South Africa and Australia? Viz doesn't give a shit about them seeing as they said they have no plans to release their Apps outside North America for the foreseeable future. In other words, it'll be a long time, if at all before we get to see their stuff online legally.

I wouldn't be surprised if this fiasco ends up driving a lot of people outside North America to go to scanlations of stuff like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece instead of waiting for a legal online version of Shonen Jump.

As one person in this thread said: "Epic Fail, Viz!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UltimaShadowfax



Joined: 03 Mar 2004
Posts: 264

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
detectiveai wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Why are people acting like they've cancelled print runs of an individual series' volumes? If you actually liked a series enough to collect various issue of Shonen Jump, why not by the volumes? Nothing is changing there.

This is a lot better than giving me a few chapters from two or three years ago.


Not everyone reads it at the same time as hardcore fans, especially not younger kids. Also, they're not that far behind. In OP, they're finishing up Water 7 which isn't THAT old.


I'm not sure where you got this information, but the magazine has been serializing the Impel Down arc for a while. In fact spoiler[Ace just died.] They just released Vol. 58 last month (63 was released in Japan in August). So they're actually closer than you think! Very Happy

Now Bleach, they're realllllly far behind with that series.

Quote:
You can have the opinion to like or not anything. BUT Nothing excuses the horrible writing in those series. Nothing justifies the amount of sales both of those series have accumulated.

The fact that so many great series take a back seat to those two here in America sickens me


"Yeah, you can have a different opinion than me, but really, the stuff you like just sucks."

Please.

And it's not like Naruto and Bleach aren't popular in Japan. Give me a break.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Drac



Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
In the first 6 or so years of publication they went out of their way to release One Piece as slowly as possible. It got to the point where they were only publishing two chapters per issue while Naruto got four or five. So the sudden jump forward to Impel Down didn't seem much like fan demand as much as it was Shueisha telling them to stop dragging through the series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lycosyncer



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 273

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
The magazine that I grew up reading is now shutting down? Real smooth move there, Viz! Evil or Very Mad

You better not cancel any future printing volumes otherwise there will be trouble!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShyViolet



Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, Shonen Jump magazine, you can rest in peace beside my Shojo Beats. Didn't think I'd see the full life-cycle of you too. Though to be honest, I'd only been buying you for the last 2 years or so to support the industry... and the pretty Yu-Gi-Oh cards. (SecretlyalittlegladbecauseIwasrunningoutofshelfspace,you'retoodamnbig.)
Just continue to publish the manga, Viz, and we'll be square.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3195
Location: NE Ohio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Or maybe there wasn't any profit in keeping the print version. ...
Especially with Borders closing ~ someone browsing at a bookstore seems one likely target to pull in as a subscriber, and having a supply of those would help make up the regular churn as existing subscribers drop off.

Someone browsing Amazon or Rightstuf seems more likely to buy a volume.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Soundmonkey44



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 1243

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
thewonderer2 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
thewonderer2 wrote:
Hopefully idiots in America will stop reading Naruto and Bleach now and read real manga like Full Metal Alchemist and One Piece


that was a joke right? either way it makes me laugh. Laughing

(opinions are fun arn't they.)



Anywho, looking foward to seeing how this works out for VIZ.


You can have the opinion to like or not anything. BUT Nothing excuses the horrible writing in those series. Nothing justifies the amount of sales both of those series have accumulated.

The fact that so many great series take a back seat to those two here in America sickens me


You are just adorable, the soul fact that your view your perception of Bleach & Naruto as horrid as a fact is hillarious in and of its self.

Personally I don't think all that highly of One Piece but I don't go out of my way to bash it, cause, that would be pointless, stupid & immature.

Diffrent people like diffrent things, nothing wrong with that, stating anyhting as great or horrible as a fact is always a falicy.

But yes I will agree Long running shonen in general do overshadow lesser series. But hey FMA & OP would be in that Shonen over shadowing lesser equally interesting series as well.

Anywho BOT: Looking foward to more info on this on the future. And still sad the physical SJ is ending. Personally I belive physical & digital media can co-exsist, no need to ax the mag. But meh maybe i'm just overly optimistic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
koon-chan



Joined: 13 Jun 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not mad that Shonen Jump is changing. I'm not mad that I've been collecting Jump since I was 10 (2004). I'm not mad that I will have to go the digital route. But, I am mad that I don't have the option to get manga as a subscription anymore. Can you subscribe to monthly Naruto volumes to go into your mailbox? I don't think so. If you bought them off of Amazon, you'd be paying twice as much due to shipping. I also don't live near a bookstore. THIS is what makes me angry. The thing that raised me on anime and manga is leaving my mail. This is low, Viz. Really low.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group