• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Kanon in D minor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
Isn't there a little bit of irony in keeping a movie called "Falling Down" in a pile of DVDs stacked haphazardly?
Hmmm... can't say I'm too interested in this week's picks but I might give Tokyo Metro Explorers a rental if I come across it.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:24 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. I see that little Pocket Pikachu thing in the picture. I haven't seen one of those in YEARS.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
"Pocket Pikachu", eh? Now, there's material for a better pick-up line for geeks than "Would you like to come up to my place and see my etchings?"....

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
"Pocket Pikachu", eh? Now, there's material for a better pick-up line for geeks than "Would you like to come up to my place and see my etchings?"....

- abunai

I can guarantee you some guy has used the "pocket pikachu" line at probably every major con here in the US. I just hope such a line does not work because if it does then I've been really over doing it all these years and should've just gone low brow lol.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Lucca_Ashtear wrote:
Isn't there a little bit of irony in keeping a movie called "Falling Down" in a pile of DVDs stacked haphazardly?

Worse is that volume is so far down on the pile, there is almost no chance of it falling off when its brothern leap for freedom.

Quote:
True, it's not as pretty as the tin cases that Funimation released at the beginning, but it's much slimmer, much cheaper, and honestly, those tin cases are pretty impossible to find nowadays.

Just not a fan of the tin boxes. They are certainly shiny and purdy (and of course, boxes boxes boxes boxes boxes *smack*.) However, due to the snap-on nature of their lip/lid, they also tend to be larger than normal and much more likely to scuff/scratch up the shelves when moving things around. So foil highlights on regular old cardboard is more than enough for me.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was Shelf Obsessed, not Pile Obsessed. Ah, we should stop giving them s---. I said should, not would. All I ask for is one shot with a rubber band.

Damn, I need to take better photos of the shelves around my apartment. DVDs, figures, manga, comics, more figures.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't think a Shelf Life would come out today, but then again they're written in advance so I guess there's no reason there wouldn't be.

I don't have an HD set up as of yet but so far there's been no anime releases in HD I'd even want to purchase. It's much like how when the US studios started releasing their catalogs in DVD I only rolled my eyes at most of the films that were coming out in HD. It seemed at first the studios were only rolling out movies that weren't well received.

On another somewhat unrelated note; I love "Falling Down", that is an amazing movie and one Michael Douglas' best performances. I still don't have it on DVD, I really need to pick it up one of these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I've got the HD set, but not enough money to buy the player and the series I want. Besides, nothing I want's on HD or Blu Ray yet anyway except regular movies. And buying a player for maybe six or seven movies that I'd have to buy again just to get a somewhat better picture? No thanks.

Anyway, I'm pleased to see that Bamboo can embrace a show like Kanon despite the fact that it's moe. (Unlike some who seem to automatically assume moe means pedolicious and therefore it must be despised and it's fans insulted.)

Everything in her review tells me again just how much I'll enjoy this series. It's also nice to hear that a lady who's opinion I happen to respect also enjoyed AIR and is so far enjoying Kanon.

I've got all of FMA (in the tins no less Very Happy ) so I'm not interested in the box set, although I got a huge laugh out of the "glittering Adonis-like body of Armstrong" line.

As for SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers, well, what can I really say that quite captures the absurdity in my mind of paying anything remotely close to the $60+ price for a 40 minute, sub-only release? Actually, just stating it that way seems reasonable enough.

Heck, I paid about $20 bucks for the last volume of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie and that was bilingual with a lot more minutes worth of entertainment.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Keonyn:

If/when you do finally choose an HD format, and it happens to be BD, I highly recommend the Paprika BD. It looks and sounds fantastic!

I'm looking forward to Kanon and I just may give SOS a look see.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know it had a BD release. It will be some time before I get a Blu-Ray player though unfortunately. I hope to get an HDTV finally this coming year but who knows when I'll actually get the spare funds to add a Blu-Ray player to that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1