• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Howl's Moving Castle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Ah. Welsh. Close enough. >.>

Don't let anyone from Wales hear you, though. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
Don't let anyone from Wales hear you, though. Wink

The results would be severe. Or perhaps not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Just don't tell them I said it! Anime smile + sweatdrop
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I should definitely get this. I read something by Jones a few years ago and it was pretty enjoyable. This should be more so since I loved the film. Even if Miyazaki changed the storyline and added his own twist, I still think it will be a worthwhile endeavor.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Just don't tell them I said it! Anime smile + sweatdrop

Don't worry Veoryn - the Welsh are also British, they just don't like to admit it. Wink
Brda

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
I read on Nausicaa.net that the author liked the movie. She expected the movie to have differences from the book so they didn't really bother her.

Yeah I was surprised by that. She must of really liked Miyazaki in order to let him get away with totally changing a number of her characters. Not a lot of authors would be happy with that.

It would be impossible to put all the great ideas from the book into a time-limited movie. Miyazaki did really a great job and I am not surprised that the author likes the movie. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same about Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea). This was a bit too pushy trying to put so many books into one movie. If somebody has not read the books, he or she might be quite confused.

hack_benjamin22 wrote:
You may all be interested to know that another book in the Howls Moving Castle series is slated to come out this summer(?). They say that it will have appearances of the original characters.

That's great. I am looking forward to it! Smile
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
Brda wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
I read on Nausicaa.net that the author liked the movie. She expected the movie to have differences from the book so they didn't really bother her.

Yeah I was surprised by that. She must of really liked Miyazaki in order to let him get away with totally changing a number of her characters. Not a lot of authors would be happy with that.

It would be impossible to put all the great ideas from the book into a time-limited movie. Miyazaki did really a great job and I am not surprised that the author likes the movie. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same about Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea). This was a bit too pushy trying to put so many books into one movie. If somebody has not read the books, he or she might be quite confused.

I read on Nausicaa.net that Miyazaki wanted to do an Earthsea film way back in the 80's, but at the time the author wouldn't let him because she wasn't interested in animation. After a couple of decades or so she decided that if anyone was going to make a film out of her book, it would be Miyazaki. Unfortunately he was busy with Howl's Moving Castle at the time so they got his son Goro to do it. It took some convincing, but she accepted. In the end she was kinda disappointed in it. Seems most people are.
skyesage

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Eurgh, Howl's Moving Castle did not do it for me as a movie--it was the most confusing of any of his movies, and added a whole anti-war side that was unnecessary and just made the movie confusing. That said, it was beautiful.

I remember being so excited by the concept of 'Tales of Earthsea' because I love the Earthsea novels and Ursula K. LeGuin as a general rule (Very Far Away from Anywhere Else=best book ever). Too bad it will never be released in the states thanks to that awful mini-series.

I think that Miyazaki is a wonderful director, and has made utterly beautiful movies, but Howl's Moving Castle was a total cop out. It doesn't look like Princess Mononoke will ever move out of my top spot for an anime movie (Well, Whispers of the Heart is pretty far up there too).

Anyways, yes, love Miyazaki, not Howl at all.
Brda

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I read on Nausicaa.net that Miyazaki wanted to do an Earthsea film way back in the 80's, but at the time the author wouldn't let him because she wasn't interested in animation. After a couple of decades or so she decided that if anyone was going to make a film out of her book, it would be Miyazaki. Unfortunately he was busy with Howl's Moving Castle at the time so they got his son Goro to do it. It took some convincing, but she accepted. In the end she was kinda disappointed in it. Seems most people are.

I, and probably a lot of other Earthsea books fans, too, wouldn’t mind to wait longer to get a better adaptation.
Seems that this story has really bad luck; the Earthsea movie (2004) was a big disappointment as well. Sad Sad Sad
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand some of the criticism for the movie myself. I didn't find it THAT confusing, or badly paced. Yeah, there is a lack of explanation for many things, but I was able to push that aside. I can understand the dislike for the ending, but I didn't have a problem with it myself. I guess I'm just easy to please.
Brda

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
The disappointment was caused largely because of my high expectation, not that the anime movie was so bad, athough my friend, who has not read the books, was not able to fully understand some points. At least that forced him to get the books and read them.
So the difference is, in the Earthsea case, I had read the books first and than saw the movie already having my own imaginations; in Howl’s case, I had seen the movie first and than read the book, so I enjoyed them both a lot.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Diana Wynne Jones is my favourite author; I really lover her works. When I heard there was an anime version of Howl's Moving Castle coming out, I was really surprised; I still haven't got around to seeing it yet, though. I wonder if the world of Ingary is one of the Related Series? A Chrestomanci/Howl crossover might be interesting...

Castle in the Air is quite different to Howl's Moving Castle, though it's still a good book and worth a read. If Howl's Castle is a typical fairytale, Castle in the Air is Arabian Nights.

My favourite DWJ book has got to be Fire and Hemlock though. And if you think the end of Castle's confusing, just try reading Fire and Hemlock or Hexwood...

I wonder if the rest of her books would make good adaptation? You could probably make a whole series out of the Dalemark Quartet.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

My favourite DWJ book has got to be Fire and Hemlock though. And if you think the end of Castle's confusing, just try reading Fire and Hemlock or Hexwood...

I always thought that the Merlin Conspiracy was hard to understand on the first go myself, can't remember if I have read Fire and Hemlock though.
Anyway, I was disappointed when I saw the movie since they changed so much of it from the book (aka they took all of DWJ's plot twists out) and I was annoyed at the fate of the witch, I wanted to see her go down!

On another note, I do know a lot of people who said that the movie confused them (it confused me since it was so different from the book and these people hadn't read the book) so there must be just something about it which people can't get.
Ligene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
My sister's friend lent me the both the novel and it's sequel, and I really enjoyed her narrative style. It's not awkward like fairytales usually seem - forced, if you prefer - but flows naturally. I liked it a lot, surprisingly.

I loved the movie, but the book just seemed, I don't know, "complete."

Also, did anyone else get the feeling of a Disney princess slumber party at the end of Castle in the Air? Because I know I did.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Which reminds me, there's another book in the HMC series due out soonish, unless it's already out...

Quote:
I always thought that the Merlin Conspiracy was hard to understand on the first go myself, can't remember if I have read Fire and Hemlock though.

Have you read the prequel to the Merlin Conspiracy? Or, rather, the Merlin Conspiracy is the sequel to Deep Secret, and have you read that? Though, it wouldn't really clear up much extra; just tell you more of Nick's background, and about magids.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3