• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment Panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TronBonne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping they would go into more detail about Tales of the Abyss. We've already known general release dates for the Asch/Jade manga for some time, due to their listings on Amazon and such. What I really want to know is when the next anime part is coming out (since the first part was delayed many months), and if they are going to continue releasing them with a limited edition!
shadow13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Is the December 2nd release date for Gundam Unicorn just for the Blu-ray, the DVD or both?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I kind of have to question why they didn't just combine this with the Sunrise panel, like how the Kodansha panel had both info on Kodansha and more specifically Hiro Mashima. I mean I kind of feel sorry for all these people who packed the room and all they got out of it was a bunch of trailers, and info that could already be found on the internet.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2011/new-york-comic-con/12
Apparently the info got posted on the Comic Con listing of the site, but not on the main page yet, I guess.

Well, nothing for the Tales LE, just a "hey the manga comes out soon!" ...that's nice, but I'm hoping for the manga to be IN the LE... Looks like the manga comes out before the next DVD, so... who knows :/

I wonder if it'll be like .hack//Roots where every second volume is an LE. The box DOES have room for one more single...
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm still of taken aback by the lack of dubs for Turn A Gundam (which still looks very good for its age and has some broader appeal) and Star Driver (hate the show I may, but it still has its fans and a few hooks to reel in new viewers). Bandai Ent. must really be strapped for cash, though its not like their parent company's helping them out, either…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Eureka Seven Bluray was on the table but ultimately decided no? Frig. Crying or Very sad At least do us a solid Bandai and get GITS SAC on bluray?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I'm still of taken aback by the lack of dubs for Turn A Gundam

How can you be taken aback about this? Do you not realize how much of a niche title Turn A is? I'm still surprised that they brought it over. What's next, Victory? X?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
I'm still of taken aback by the lack of dubs for Turn A Gundam

How can you be taken aback about this? Do you not realize how much of a niche title Turn A is? I'm still surprised that they brought it over. What's next, Victory? X?

I think people see Gundam's large online presence and think it's some huge hit in America, when G Gundam, and Wing Gundam are the only two gundam series that seems to have longevity, and Wing Gundam was the only Gundam to be a major success in terms of sales. The series that sell best for Bandai Entertainment recently is Haruhi and K-On not anything by Sunrise.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
... Bandai Ent. must really be strapped for cash, though its not like their parent company's helping them out, either…
Is that an indicator of a cash crunch?

A prudent company should do the dubs that they have strong confidence will generate additional revenues that return the incremental cost of the dub plus a normal or better return on investment.

If you have several series like that on release, they should be generating cashflow ~ by definition, strong cashflow than your sub-only releases ~ so there's your cash to make the next dub.

If you have a cash crunch you might push the release date on the least likely to be sure to release the most likely ~ why FUNimation has been open about what the issues have been delaying a slice of their releases, so its not taken as an indicator of a cash crunch ~ but taking a dub off the table altogether would seem to be more likely an assessment of incremental market demand for the dub.
Kippy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Eureka Seven Bluray was on the table but ultimately decided no? Frig. Crying or Very sad At least do us a solid Bandai and get GITS SAC on bluray?

It's disappointing, but I'm shocked they'd even consider releasing Eureka Seven on Blu-ray. Bandai has a bunch of shows I'd like to own, but they just don't seem too interested in releasing catalog titles on Blu-ray.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
... Bandai Ent. must really be strapped for cash, though its not like their parent company's helping them out, either…
Is that an indicator of a cash crunch?

A prudent company should do the dubs that they have strong confidence will generate additional revenues that return the incremental cost of the dub plus a normal or better return on investment.

If you have several series like that on release, they should be generating cashflow ~ by definition, strong cashflow than your sub-only releases ~ so there's your cash to make the next dub.

If you have a cash crunch you might push the release date on the least likely to be sure to release the most likely ~ why FUNimation has been open about what the issues have been delaying a slice of their releases, so its not taken as an indicator of a cash crunch ~ but taking a dub off the table altogether would seem to be more likely an assessment of incremental market demand for the dub.

I understand, and support (to an extent), the reasons for not doing dubs for every show you put out (and I wouldn't be too sure that it's due to a lack of demand for a dub, especially when Bandai Ent. themselves said can't afford to dub everything like before), but I also made that statement because of the company's apparent financial straits following the bubble burst. Turn A and especially Star Driver seemed like safe-enough shows to do dubs on. The former, given Gundam's not-so-stellar sales history in North America, was more "wishful thinking" on my part, as I half-expected it to get a dub since the animation was relatively "new" and it was a notable, well-reviewed title in the franchise. Star Driver's a puzzler, though, since it seemed like a show that could gain a good following and sales. With that, it seems like they don't have enough cashflow to even cover two potentially-reasonable sellers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Turn A Gundam is a sci-fi show in which people who have a civilization similar to the late 1800s-early 1900's pilot robots. It is slow, and the series emphasizes characterization, it's a tough series to sell.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I'm still of taken aback by the lack of dubs for Turn A Gundam (which still looks very good for its age and has some broader appeal) and Star Driver (hate the show I may, but it still has its fans and a few hooks to reel in new viewers). Bandai Ent. must really be strapped for cash, though its not like their parent company's helping them out, either…

Seems so. However, i am kinda glad i was not at the panel even though I live in New York City. i would have been pissed if i had heard this news yesterday. I would have love to have watch star driver in eng dub, or at least Hayate the Combat Butler instead of having to watch the animax dub version since their WORSE than 4kids.

Also even more disapointed their not giving a dub for Turn a Gundam.

However if there is one gundam series i wanted to see in english dub , it would have been at least ZZ Gundam or at least Victory Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. I had been looking forward to Star Driver for so long and they just totally give a poop treatment. Man Bandai used to be my favorite distributor, but now they just announce stuff, take forever to get it out, and then release it as bear bones as they can and for as much as they can. If they spit Star Driver into four sets there is no way I am getting it.

Is it bad that I just want Bandai die now so that other companies can release their old catalog?
lilly_938

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked that star driver won't be dubbed since it's the type of show adult swim would air...

so, no news on when GoSick will be released?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2