• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm guessing no one here likes One Piece...?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Anyways, I might be going a little off-topic with wanting to talk about the manga. But, does anyone following the Japanese version of the manga feel that it's coming to an end soon?

I don't think so. At least not for a while longer. It could be speculated, but I think that the demand of the fans are such that Oda is finding himself covering a lot more of potential stories within One Piece than he ever could have imagined. I think the series is at least going to go up to volume 60. Just look at Hajime no Ippo, it's in its 80s now.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
ChronoBall X wrote:
as for Onepiece,not because I think the artstyle was unique and cartoonish because it's one of the few original animes to use a storyplot about"Pirates" unless you count Peter Pan no Bouken, and unlike most storyarc animes,the Strawhats don't always stay on the same continent land to fight a different villian,like in for example,DBZ fight scenes always take place in the West city region or some other place thats closed to master roshi's house or Goku's house or whatever,but in onepiece,they travel to places like an ice world,dessert world,skypiea,I mean,it's like Oda took ideas from the Mario franchise or something.lol

Granted, the Mario franchise is one of the largest in the world, and it has had a lifespan two and a half decades now.Whether Oda took ideas from Mario itself, may or may not be true. We know that Oda over the years has taken influences and ideas from several different sources, Mario could be one.
You guys are talking about a common elemental formula that's been around before we were born.Miyamoto used it a lot but certainly didn't invent it,and Oda is using influences and ideas from all sorts of places.Mostly old school RPG's.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You guys are talking about a common elemental formula that's been around before we were born.Miyamoto used it a lot but certainly didn't invent it,and Oda is using influences and ideas from all sorts of places.Mostly old school RPG's.

First of all, that conversation you quoted was over four months old. Second, While Miyamoto may not have invented the formula, what he did draw from and the end result does have influences on many people and things around the world. Which is why I stated that Mario could be an influence of One Piece, but the overall likelihood that Oda draw from Mario is probably on the slim side.
pakli1988

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I think 4Kids did edited One Piece, but Funimation did get One Piece uncut edition.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
pakli1988 wrote:
I think 4Kids did edited One Piece, but Funimation did get One Piece uncut edition.

Yes, that was a common complaint shared by many who knew of One Piece and had the misfortune of watching the 4Kids version. Hence, there was celebration and merriness when the 4Kids license was dropped, and Funimation picked it up to fix what mess had been created by 4Kids.
ptrix4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I recently got into One Piece and I avoid usually avoid shonen fighting series. I've decided to stick mostly with the manga since the idea of buying all the dvds is terrifying. However, I'll probably pick up the sets containing my favorite arcs and the movies. The manga release is pretty good, but I don't understand why the cursing is limited to "darn" when everyone is smoking and drinking. A "damn" and an "ass" here and there would make the dialogue feel much more natural. DARN YOU!!! As long as no character stuff is edited I'll be happy, but maybe it's best to just not know.

The art in One Piece is one of my favorite aspects of the series. I find it hard to believe that people avoid this simply because of the way it looks. The characters are really what make this series so great. Even the villains are cool!
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I love One piece. I just got the first box set and love it. The unedited rocks.
Inscrutable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is a masterpiece Cool To me that's the best anime ever, there's no other with such a story, characters and great pirate-sea-atmosphere!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12