• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2007-12-21]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
I agree, Final Fantasy IX is easily my favorite among the series.
I thought the entire cast was pretty great overall.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Southern Comfort? Yuck. To cure my writers block i'll stick with Tanqueray Gin. Or vodka if i'm in the mood.

I haven't thought about legend of the crystals in years. I wonder if thats anywhere on dvd.

As for old anime, its kinda ironic that the classics don't do better. considering how many people chimed in on the several Open letters saying the stories werre stale, you'd think they'd be jumping back to the old good stuff. Regardless of quality.

Its nice that some compaines are releasing the old stuff: I just started working on my lost Universse thin-pak.

Merry Christmas Zac.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
Have to agree on the Dragonball LA movie. I'll reserve judgment until I actually see trailers for it, but I just cannot imagine how something that outlandish could be done justice in live-action form. I can think of many, many other anime series more conducive to such a transition.

Still, actors like Chow Yun Fat and James Marsters have done great work in other films, so it isn't like they have a no-name cast for it, and sufficient special effects exist to pull it off; Hollywood was able to make reasonable adaptations of the X-Men, after all, and this is no more or less a super hero-oriented flick than that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
I believe the Anime Classics line came out in an 8 disc per case release, not 6.

Enjoyed the column this week. Smile

Oh, and have a merry Christmas!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
I figured that I'm tired of all the "new" series coming out (minus a few), so I'm actually interested in purchasing some older series. The first on my list is Slayers, but I plan to go back further than that. It's going to be hard keeping up with the new and old shows, though.

I guess I should also chime in and say Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays)! May they be filled with anime cheer. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:46 am Reply with quote
Zac: Yeah, the boss fights in FFX turned me off from the series altogether. But the toastyfrog guy swears FFXII doesn't suck, in spite of the fact that it's really FF Tactics II. I'm surprised you have confidence in Speed Racer, though. Is it the John Goodman factor? He makes everything better. Or at least tolerable. (See Roseanne. )

brittanica: I'm guessing Crystals is only on R2 dvd.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Final Fantasy – I realized that people who ask questions like this haven’t played the games yet. If they just play one of the games, they’ll have their answers. Very Happy

I’m still a fan of the FF series but I don’t play the games anymore. The last one I played was FFX-2, and I wasn’t even able to finish it. That was around the time when I started college, and a few months before our PS2 retired Laughing My favorite is FF7, which is the first FF game I played and the first RPG I completed.

Happy Holidays! Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
wanna know how the Dragon Ball Z movie's shaping up? Goku goes to high school. Rolling Eyes

in my opinion, the writing in the Final Fantasy games got weaker after VI. i mean VII was good, but compare Sephiroth to Kefka. he doesn't even come close as a villiian. IX is the most underrated game in the series. i think it's cause of the character designs.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
The Anime Classics line seems to be on the right track. Hopefully, they'll license some old shoujo so I can try it out. And I'm quite proud to have Rose of Versailles on my AoD "Please License" list. Razz

My favorite Final Fantasy is FFVI. Opera floozies rules! Very Happy
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
I've played Final Fantasy games...but I've never seen the anime. Nor do I want to. (Minus Advent Children - that I own.) But come on, the similarities to any anime are striking, what don't they get?

Also wanted to say to Anwerman: When your writer's block dislodged it let lose a deluge. Good grief, man. I haven't laughed so hard at one of your answers in a long time. Great reading material on the FF answer. And I agree. FFIX is my top favorite out of all the Final Fantasy games I've played. Kudos on the Precious Moments figurene jab too...I'd never thought of the character designs that way before, but they really do look like that. Smile Kinda scary when you think about it. lol.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
Great column this week Zac and happy holidays!

As for anime "classics" - I've known for awhile not to hold my breath for older series, but in recent years I've been pleasantly surprised. First I found out AnimEigo licensed Yawara! (eventhough we've only had the demo disc so far) and I never thought Yawara would hit stateside. I know it probably won't have that big of an impact stateside (at its core, it really is a sports anime dipped in romance comedy - probably not exactly a big selling genre like shonen action), but I'm still grateful AnimEigo's releasing it. Slayers season boxsets was my other pleasant surprise, but I reckon that was just a matter of time.

As for Final Fantasy, why do people fuss so much over if people cosplay anime or not at a con. At the end of day, we're all just dressing up as fictional characters and looking goofy as hell to the rest of the world anyway, what difference does it make? Smile I'm still trying to get through FFX, four years after I bought the damn thing. But I just don't have the patience or time for RPGs like FF anymore, though I do want to finish FFIX one day.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
I'm not a gamer, really...I think the only Final Fantasy game I played was FFIV...I'm not sure what number it was. Anyway, I fell asleep about 40 minutes into Advent Children, and the 40 minutes I saw don't really inspire me to give it another try. Confused
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
Either Zac thought Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was so great that he couldn't bring himself to say anything bad about it, or he thought it was so bad that it kinda spoke for itself.

But really, these days anime conventions are less about anime and more about Japanese pop culture and entertainment. Who cares if someone is dressed like Naruto, Cloud, or the Red Ranger, the lines between the three are very thin.

Emerje
Cold-NiTe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
On the topic of the Dragonball movie, I have to say that sometimes I worry about all these Live Action transitions. Some of the actors made their decision based purely on the script, and most of the people involved with the movie are working off of second hand information. Which of them have actually read the manga, and how many out of the total amount working on the movie is that (not counting the camera man for instance, or other rolls that don't require detailed plot knowledge)? If the answer isn't at least 30%, then that's kinda a scary prospect right? Hopefully it isn't true, but I can believe that it may be the case.

Yet on the other hand, I find myself waiting in great anticipation for the Battle Angel Alita american live action film. So it can't be that I don't trust hollywood, I think my trust simply comes with a request. "Be a fan of the original of whatever you are making into a movie." I guess the purest example of this that I can use isn't anime at all; Peter Jackson and the LOTR trilogy. His movies were truly art. But that came from his love of the novels. Now ask yourself if you trust the upcoming "The Hobbit" movie to be at that same level, where even a flag slipping off the flagpole from Rohan's capital is a literary allusion in film. It can't be. All they can do is mimic what Jackson created. So I await the Battle Angel Alita film because Cameron is known to be a rabid BAA fan. That blew my mind. If it's true, bring it on, I'll preorder the ticket.

In any case, I hope no one finds what I've said to be offensive, I just like Dragon Ball, and I hope that the treatment it gets is a reflection of the care the production crew had for the original work.

-Cold.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
About FF: Yeah it's all about the general ideas of the modern FF that makes it so similar to Anime, that's how I've always seen it. FF is Anime in a more interactive form. I JUST don't see what people like about IX so much. To me, it was just "okay". I do think I had the most fun with it out of the whole PS1 trilogy and loved pointing out the bits of Musical fanservice and such. I'm thinking, maybe I beat it too fast to really enjoy it. I dunno. I really should try to pick up a copy.

I guess it's just the thing with RPGs now for me, I don't have the hours upon hours to contribute to playing them like I used to. It's been that way with FFXII. I loved the characters, and the tone of the overall story (being a HUGE fan of Matsuno's style and FFT helps). But I never really "completed it" like I should have, beaten all the uber bosses and such. I just don't have the drive for those 40+ hour games like I used to. My favorite is VI, but that's because back in the day, not only was it the most amazing I had ever seen, but I actually played it over and over again appreciating it more and more each time I beat it.

Anyyyywayyy, I agree the Speed Racer trailer officially wowed me and I think it could very well be a moderate success.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4