• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top 100 Anime of 2007 (By Yahoo! Japan.)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qtipbrit92

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
This is a recent poll by Yahoo! Japan of 2,001,301 persons on the top 100 Anime series of 2007 (obviously). I assume from the absence of Death Note and Code Geass, both highly praised in 2006 (though I believe they both turned out to be trainwrecks as time passed.), that it applied only to animes that had either began airing in 2007 or those that are still in their first airing, such as Hayate, Gintama, Bleach, etc.
I'm quite aware that the first place spot will cause a great deal of controversy, but Here's a link.
(The pt following a number represents the amount of votes that the said anime recieved; yes, that means that spoiler[sola] recieved 173634 more votes than the well-recieved spoiler[Lucky Star].

For the greater majority of us, who do not read Japanese, I have painstakingly translated or Romanised a great deal of the list (using Wikipedia, of course. Smile):
1. sola
2. Lucky Star
3. Katei Kyoshi Hitman Reborn
4. Ookiku Furi Kabutte
5. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
6. Gintama
7. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
8. Nanatsuiro Drops
9. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
10. Hidamari Sketch
11. Darker than Black
12. Clannad
13. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
14. Potemayo
15. Hayate the Combat Butler
16. Nagasarete Airantou
17. D.Gray-man
18. Makin Tantei Nogami Neuro
19. Seto no Hanayome
20. Sketchbook ~Full Color's~
21. Gundam 00
22. ef - A Tale of Memories
23. Myself; Yourself
24. Minami-ke
25. Nodame Cantabile
26. Da Capo II
27. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
28. Moetan
29. You're Under Arrest Full Throttle
30. Happy Happy Clover
31. Bleach
32. Zero no Tsukaima: Futatsuki no Kishi
33. Shakugan no Shana Second
34. Hitohira
35. Mononoke
36. School Days
37. Naruto Shipuuden
38. Bamboo Blade
39. Sky Girls
40. Toward the Terra
41. Kimikiss
42. Kaiji
43. Engage Planet Kiss Dum
44. Yes! PreCure 5
45. Moyashimon
46. Rental Magica
47. Denno Coil
48. Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho
49. Midnight Club (?)
50. Princess Resurrection
51. Idolmaster: Xenoglossia
52. Genshiken 2
53. Zombie-Loan
54. Buzzer-Beater
55. Romeo & Juliet
56. Shigurui
57. Kodomo no Jikan
58. Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo
59. Tetsuko no Tabi
60. Viper GTS
61. Baccano!
62. Prism Ark
63. Shugo Chara
64. Bokurano
65. Code E
66. Saint October
67. Mokke
68. Kaze no Stigma
69. Night Wizard
70. Goshusho-sama Ninomiya-kun
71. Guardian of the Sacred Spirit
72. Moonlight Mile 2
73. Onegai My Melody Sukkiri
74. Claymore
75. Rocket Girls
76. Touka Gettan
77. Kyoshiro and the Eternal Sky
78. Emma - A Victorian Romance
79. Kamichama Karin
80. Ghost Hound
81. Reideen
82. Oh! Edo Rocket
83. Venus Versus Virus
84. Doujin Work
85. Heroic Age
86. Les Miserables Shoujo Cossette
87. Dragonaut
88. Blue Dragon
89. Overdrive
90. Koutetsu Sangokushi
91. Saint Beast
92. El Cazador de la Bruja
93. Shining Tears X Wind
94. Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica
95. Mushi Uta
96. Shijo Saikyo no Deshi Kenichi
97. Blue Drop
98. Kishin Taisen Gigantic Formula
99. Skull Man
100. Kaze no Shoujo Emily

Pointless opinions that you will likely ignore:
Many appearances were surprising to me, aside from the obvious one at the top. Notably, Nagasarete Airantou and Manabi Straight! were animes that I believed were decent, but would likely not be contenders in the 2007 top anime race. Maybe this proves that Yui Horie's appearance in an anime just makes it good? Rolling Eyes
Actually, Da Capo II fared much better than I expected as well, (another nod to Hocchan), as I found it to be much less interesting than its predecessors, with Shirakawa losing once again.

I also found that many unfinished animes based on visual novels had appeared in the top 25 or so, namely Clannad, ef - A Tale of Memories, and Myself; Yourself; as slice of life comedies such as Minami-ke and Sketchbook gain little from dramatic conclusions and the like. Kudos to ef, though, being second only to the combined forces of Key and KyoAni's Clannad in the visual novel race. (there were many this year: six or seven, I believe.)

This last section is where I get a small chuckle when I consider that Bleach and Naruto both placed beyond thirtieth, and knowing that votes were obviously split between Rie Kugimiya's tsundere pair (Zero no Tsukaima: FnK and Shakugan no Shana Second), with a mere 30 vote difference between them, placing them both below Bleach (Though I admit that SnSII has so far moved a bit too slow for my taste, spending too much on on intensifying the love triangle (or is it a square now?) between the leads.
Naruto Shippuuden was a spot below what was the most controversial anime of the year, and possibly the last few years as well. And I laugh. I laugh.

Final note: I honestly liked Bleach for a bit. I had watched the first two or three arcs, but after the Bount arc (I know it was filler, I know.) I counldn't continue, and even the following arcs (Arrancar and Hueco Mundo, was it?) didn't progress enough for me, and I found the incessant disregard to all plot previous to be yet another turn-off.
(Honestly, in the first arc, Menos were portrayed as gods of some sort, and now characters rip apart literally thirty or so of them in a single swing. Death to continuity.)

And I am now finished. Have fun discussing.
[/RANT]

[EDIT: Added #29, 30, 73 & 100 that you listed as ? originally. Also changed animes to anime in the thread title because "anime" is singular and plural.~Zalis]
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. I wonder what the sample of votes looks like. Because I think gurren lagaan would be a lot higher consider the recognition it received during its run.

And sola first was a big surprise, I think it was great too, but I can definite vouch for a few others being better.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
@ qtipbrit92 thanks for your effort in translating it!

I'm so glad that Seto No Hanayome and EF ~ A Tale Of Memories~ were at top 25!!!!!

This 2 series top my List this year!!!!!!

Happy New Year Everyone. Great list this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theeonegook89

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
I was surprised that gurren lagann wasnt in the top 10. As for Lucky star, I'm not surprised at all, great series Smile

anyways happy new years. I feel like Im wasting my life sitting in my room as I type this on new years for some reason. (just a rant)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
Top 100 just this year? How many anime even come out over the course of a year? I guess its not suprising that its more than 100 but that its enough to make a top 100 list at all logical suprises me.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:08 am Reply with quote
Hidamari Sketch at 10 and Sketchbook full colours at 20 gives me great hope for the future. Probably the shows I enjoyed the most this year and they both were well received in Japan.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
And sola first was a big surprise, I think it was great too, but I can definite vouch for a few others being better.

I saw the list on another forum, and a lot of people there were also surprised that sola was number 1. Personally, I didn't think it was that great. I find the idea of spoiler["human origami"] ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Top 100 just this year? How many anime even come out over the course of a year? I guess its not suprising that its more than 100 but that its enough to make a top 100 list at all logical suprises me.

IIRC there was over 50 shows that aired in the Spring season alone.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

IIRC there was over 50 shows that aired in the Spring season alone.

That works out to about 200 then right? Thats not that bad then. 200 seems like about the minimum to pick a top 100. I'd I would have guessed maybe 30 anime per season but it looks like its more than that.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Oh I don't think it's 200, Spring and Fall are the major seasons which usually get 40-50, Summer and Winter get like 20-30. This isn't counting kid shows and the like though usually.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
What surprises me is that the points of the 1st place (Sola=340456 pts) is twice as many as the 2nd place (Lucky Star=166822 pts) out of 2,001,301 pts... That's like a land slide win for Sola... I wonder how does this pts system works...?
qtipbrit92

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
I wonder how does this pts system works...?

Amazingly, the pts are representative of the amount of votes that each series recieved, which means yes, sola recieved 173634 more votes than Lucky Star. Shocked

Also, I would estimate around 130-150 were broadcasted during 2007, so the top 50 or so would likely be the top one third of the series in 2007.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I just can't even pretend to take this list seriously; even taking into account the generally substantial differences between Japanese anime fans and myself, this list looks like completely cooked bs.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, this reminds me of the debacle (if it can be called that) over here.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, 95% of the ratings in the ANN Encyclopedia look like idiotic BS to me too, so it's nice to see totally different-looking sorts of lists that have just as much (not necessarily implying that it's a lot though) "weight" to them.

About Death Note and Code Geass, I'm guessing qtip is right that they didn't make the list because they counted as 2006 anime. But to be honest I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just didn't make the list because they didn't deserve to be there. Now that Death Note is showing for free on Cartoon Network and I've been able to watch it, I can say that at least to me the show is utter crap. It's probably in the bottom 25% of animes that I've ever seen. Of course, here in the USA we probably don't get all the worst low-budget animes that Japan cranks out every year (apparently in the 100's) but even compared to that standard I wouldn't be surprised if I considered Death Note to be in the bottom 33% of all anime.

And although I haven't seen Code Geass at all yet, I've said before that I don't have high expectations for the show despite all the hooplah over here. I'm very familiar with the prior works of the team that created Code Geass, and although I am a fan of their style in general most of the shows they have made were bad. Although I'll be happy if I turn out to be wrong when Cartoon Network starts showing this for free. Smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
ryokoalways wrote:
Hmmm. I wonder what the sample of votes looks like. Because I think gurren lagaan would be a lot higher consider the recognition it received during its run.

most of it's recognition came from abroad, it did well in dvd sales though. i'm more surprised Darker Than Black got in the top 10. that anime did horrible in ratings and sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5