• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Worst) Of 2007

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meccanica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, Gurren-Lagann was kinda-available-sorta online... almost...
Come the end of next year, I am quite sure it will be mentioned hereabouts. Cool
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, FMP did well.................
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
About the ending to Gunbuster:

Quote:
. . .may be one of the most awesome and poignant tributes to self-sacrificing heroism ever shown in any media.

I strongly agree. Absolutely, my favorite ending ever!!! I still get goosebumps thinking about it.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
How people can take the hilarity that is Death Note seriously is still mind-boggling to me.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
This awards show has given me a new sense of respect for Kimilinger. Though in all honesty I must disagree with his choice for best kiss.... Tomari's in Ep. 10 had far more weight, passion, an amazing accompanying atmosphere, and the consequences as well.

Glad to see Air Ep. 12 was recognized ^^

And now I def need to check out Kurau!
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
How people can take the hilarity that is Death Note seriously is still mind-boggling to me.

Amen. But hey, all of those depressed emo kids who practically live at Hot Topic taking it seriously just adds to the hillarity.

I'll admit that I zipped through the Death Note manga; I thought it was a really interesting story, until it started to get really slow and confusing after spoiler[L's death]. But when I watched the anime, the over-dramatic voice acting and choir music just made me go "are you flipping serious?". I think I stopped watching after spoiler[Light's evil plot with the potato chips.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I noticed thoroughout the article that Madhouse Studios and Kyoto Animation were well-represented among the best of anime in 2007. I guess it's safe to say that they were the top two studios in the industry for 2007, although I give the slight edge to Madhouse because of the overall brilliant quality of their shows BECK, Death Note, and Black Lagoon.

Excellent work on the article, Theron and Carl! There were some portions of the article I chose not to read for spoiler reasons (especially the portion about AIR as I'm not up to Episode 12 yet), but overall I agree with the vast majority of your selections. Cool

Last edited by bci110 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seishi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Nicely done article. I'm glad to see recognition given where it's due.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Psychodahlia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Question about the cancelation of Saiunkoku- what's up with that? I've been wanting to see that series for a while and I haven't heard anything about it being dropped.
JackCox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Seriously what is the deal with Haruhi Suzumiya, It's nothing special. It holds no candle to any of these other shows. WHAT THE HELL do people see in this series, it's mind-boggling. It's okay at best, it's great but it's not master-piece OMG worthy. THe best show of the year was undoubtedly Mushishi. DeathNote is at least in the Top 3 but Carl got it right with Mushishi
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Seriously what is the deal with Haruhi Suzumiya, It's nothing special. It holds no candle to any of these other shows. WHAT THE HELL do people see in this series, it's mind-boggling.

It's funny, the characters are vibrant and memorable, and the animation is top notch. Throw in the dance sequence and practically the whole "Live Alive" episode and you've got yourself a fan favorite. I don't think it's a masterpiece, but it's certainly entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Seriously what is the deal with Haruhi Suzumiya, It's nothing special. It holds no candle to any of these other shows. WHAT THE HELL do people see in this series, it's mind-boggling. It's okay at best, it's great but it's not master-piece OMG worthy. THe best show of the year was undoubtedly Mushishi. DeathNote is at least in the Top 3 but Carl got it right with Mushishi

I'd say it's a masterpiece of fun series. A masterpiece of fluff. Haruhi hit all the right notes when it came to being an energetic, enjoyable series Memorable characters and lots of memorable scenes. The top notch animation helps too. I thought the story itself was much more unique than most fun, romance series (I'm not just talking about the fact that it broadcast out of order). Anyway, to each his own they say.
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I wondered what would happen to Saiunkoku Monogatari when I heard about Geneon. Nonetheless I am deeply saddened that it won’t be released anymore? I sooo love that show and I really wanted to own all of it on Dvd. Sad
bakaShin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
good to see Death Note, FMP (finally a show with comedy get some praise), and Black Lagoon get the nod ups.

Mushishi, i still have issues with you, i just dont see why you were so great. I watched it twice and it still didn't sync in with me.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised that the opening and closing for Ergo Proxy and the closer for Chevalier were not at least mentioned.

Truly fitting the emotions of their respective series as they are.

Nice picks nonetheless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8