• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Worst) Of 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Movie of the Year: Paprika

Carl: What with the wimpy competition, this retina-searingly visual film was a no-brainer. Millennium Actress is still Kon's best, though.

Theron: I'm not as sold on this one as some here at ANN, but no other anime movie first released in 2007 even comes close to matching its combination of spectacular visuals and solid writing.

Try not to be too hard on TK. Arias is a forum-dweller now, ya know. Wink
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Kurau...I've been kind of in and out on it, I like what I hear about it being a strongly character driven story but in general I don't like sci fi going into world danger aliens/technology/etc directions...

I'll probably get the first DVD but first I've got to find £20 somewhere...
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Seriously what is the deal with Haruhi Suzumiya, It's nothing special. It holds no candle to any of these other shows. WHAT THE HELL do people see in this series, it's mind-boggling. It's okay at best, it's great but it's not master-piece OMG worthy. THe best show of the year was undoubtedly Mushishi. DeathNote is at least in the Top 3 but Carl got it right with Mushishi

I find your comment strange considering that neither one of them said MOHS was the best show of the year. One didn't even list it. I think haruhi got the right amount of love in this column.

I was glad to see Paradise Kiss on here. That's an underrated show in my eyes.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that you'd give a show like Haruhi's Melancholy such high marks.

Sticking a self-absorbed b#### in the spotlight along with a useless nobody, mixing up the episode numbers, rip off the Matrix and Evangelion; you have yourself an anime?!

All I remember was the pain Kyon must've felt when Haruhi slammed the back of his head on her desk. Evil or Very Mad
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ! How about a spoiler warning or something? Not everyone has seen these anime but many people may still plan to. But yeah...Thanks. I'm sure I'll enjoy FMP: TSR much more now. Rolling Eyes
JackCox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
I can't believe that you'd give a show like Haruhi's Melancholy such high marks.

Sticking a self-absorbed b#### in the spotlight along with a useless nobody, mixing up the episode numbers, rip off the Matrix and Evangelion; you have yourself an anime?!

All I remember was the pain Kyon must've felt when Haruhi slammed the back of his head on her desk. Evil or Very Mad

It's great to know I'm not alone, because nothing would give more pleasure then to see Haruhi get slammed on the back of the head.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Jesus Christ! How about a spoiler warning or something? Not everyone has seen these anime but many people may still plan to. But yeah...Thanks. I'm sure I'll enjoy FMP: TSR much more now. Rolling Eyes

Or you could not read something titled "Best Ending" or "Best Death Scene" if you're worried about spoilers.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I really like Carl's pick. Beck, Musashi and Paradise Kiss are excellent and refreshing show of 07.

JackCox wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:

It's great to know I'm not alone, because nothing would give more pleasure then to see Haruhi get slammed on the back of the head.

True, Haruhi was nothing special, but it's a big hit with mainstream fanboy/girl.
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Biggest/Most Important Trend

Carl: Series entering limbo before the completion of their run. I name this as a trend knowing full well (and hoping like hell) that it might not be. Companies ceasing activity is nothing new (anyone remember Super Techno Arts?) and neither are releases that enter limbo (remember I'm Gonna Be An Angel?), but the sheer volume of them this year (mostly thanks to Geneon, but also Illumitoon) is such that it cannot be ignored.

I'm still a bit upset about Tenshi ni Narumon! "I'm Gonna Be An Angel!" being left unfinished at the halfway mark. I still feel a sting (thanks to Synch-Point) everytime I look at my dvd shelf and see those three volumes of the show setting there in their incomplete form. What's worst is that now I have to look next to them and see the three volumes (also incomplete in the halfway mark) of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Like Carl, I also hope that this isn't an occurrence that will be happening any more frequently, preferably not at all, than it already is. I really like these shows too, and I'm sure there are other fans of these shows, as well. I don't know. It all just seems really unfair to the fans of any show this happens too. To be stuck with an incomplete series that you love and have eagerly been waiting for it's release.

Now, I just depressed myself by simply writing all this.

<_<
*looks at shelf*

*sighs*

Tenshi

Last edited by Ongaku_no_tenshi on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
It's posts like these that deter me from visiting ANN... the elitist agenda is just suffocating...

JackCox wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:

Wow. It's just a fictional character and series, cool down - its nothing to get all melancholy about.

Haruhi isn't a stuck-up ..... yeah, she just has high self-esteem and energy, she's the energizer bunny and she's a strong-willed and iron-fisted young lady. Kyon isn't useless. Kyon is the calm and cool, to Haruhi spicy and rough. It's called balance.

What does The Matrix and Evangelion have to do with Haruhi Suzumiya? Nothing, that's what. Haruhi doesn't have mecha, angst teens and most importantly, a penguin. The Matrix has nothing to do Haruhi either, last I saw, Kyon was definately not Neo.

The whole episode order thing is pretty unique, which adds to Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's charm and I approve of it, it's not a real big problem and it shouldn't really be an issue at all.

How many times is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya mentioned in this article? Not very much, I'll say. I think your getting all flustered over 3-4 lines in this article. Your making mountains out out of ant hills or whatever that saying is.

JackCox wrote:
what is the deal with Haruhi Suzumiya, It's nothing special. It holds no candle to any of these other shows. WHAT THE HELL do people see in this series, it's mind-boggling. It's okay at best, it's great but it's not master-piece OMG worthy. THe best show of the year was undoubtedly Mushishi. DeathNote is at least in the Top 3 but Carl got it right with Mushishi

It's special in the sense of it being a masterpiece of fluff, enjoyment and just downright fun. It's some Grade-A animation, which has made the studio, Kyoto Animation extremely famous. It's unique in its own right and deserves some respect in the unique degree.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Or you could not read something titled "Best Ending" or "Best Death Scene" if you're worried about spoilers.

Oh don't give me that. I don't know what anime they're going to talk about or whether they will go into detail. Maybe its one I have seen. Maybe they're just going to say the anime but not specify who/when. Or maybe they will at least start by saying the series instead of "Sousuke kills Gauron (for good)". I assumed they would either have a warning or discuss it in a way that did not majorly spoil it for those who hadn't seen it.

So yeah, I guess I made the mistake of assuming that ANN was a place where I didn't need to constantly be on guard for things that might contain major spoilers.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Guilty Pleasure

Theron: My-Otome. I wouldn't even rate this series in the top half of 2007's releases, but somehow it keeps me coming back.

Carl: UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie. What can I say; it takes a lot to make me feel guilty.

Gilty Pleasure for me:
Doctor Atsuko Chiba from Paprika; There's something about a beautiful woman with glasses and hair tied-back that arouses me Wink
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, not even a mention of Solty Rei. How did that show not receive consideration? Confused

Definitely in the top 5 series of 2007.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Guilty Pleasure

Theron: My-Otome. I wouldn't even rate this series in the top half of 2007's releases, but somehow it keeps me coming back.

Carl: UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie. What can I say; it takes a lot to make me feel guilty.

My Guilty Pleasure: Girl's High. More so in the episodes contained in Vol. #3 (Episodes 9-12), but beyond all of the raunchy fan service it was a very enjoyable, genuine series, and one of the best under-the-radar series to come out in 2007.
Prinnydood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Spoiler warnings would have been appropriate, and appreciated.

All that was really needed was a slight format adjustment. At the beginning of each reviewer's selection, list the anime first, then tell why. That would have given readers a chance to skip certain sections. I could have avoided unwanted information on Second Raid and Gun x Sword, while still reading the sections regarding shows I have completed or don't expect to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8