• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Worst) Of 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Man I am REALLY behind this year. I haven't even seen most of the highly acclaimed series, Mushishi and Death Note included. Once I get back into anime I'll have to check them out.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Again, Tyrenol doesn't like the show because Kyon gets hit by Haruhi and the oppression of white males through cartoon violence gets his blood boiling. Anything else he says is spurious, that's the root of it.

I can speak for myself, thank you very much.

But you know... There wouldn't be an argument over any of it if most of it wasn't true. I wasn't the one calling out for badly plotted anime that plays past 1:00am.

Oh well...

Welcome home.

Very Happy_=
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
When someone attacks you, what do you do? Do you fight back? Or will you be on the ground whining?

Since when is it ever a good idea to not fight back?

When is it a good idea not to fight back? That's an easy one: when it isn't necessary. You apparently have a severe lack of perspective when it comes to this issue, because we are not talking about someone being maliciously assaulted with a lead pipe here. No one in their right mind could infer from that scene that Haruhi's intention was to cause significant harm to Kyon, or that she represented a realistic and continuing threat to his safety. Kyon suffered no significant harm: he was not bleeding, required no treatment, and was none the worse for wear shortly afterward. I fail to see how this justifies him punching her in the face - doing her a genuine injury - as you have suggested ad nauseam. It is simply the concept of proportional response: if a girl slaps your face but offers you no further harm, and you respond by punching her lights out, then your ass is going to jail. You will probably get a lighter sentence due to mitigating circumstances, but your ass will still be going to jail.
JackCox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
I enjoyed this year-end review thoroughly. I consider a good review to be one in which I may not necessarily agree with every single conclusion, but can find no real fault with the process and thinking that went into reaching those conclusions. And by those standards, this was certainly a good review!

JackCox wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
I can't believe that you'd give a show like Haruhi's Melancholy such high marks.

Sticking a self-absorbed b#### in the spotlight along with a useless nobody, mixing up the episode numbers, rip off the Matrix and Evangelion; you have yourself an anime?!

All I remember was the pain Kyon must've felt when Haruhi slammed the back of his head on her desk. Evil or Very Mad

It's great to know I'm not alone, because nothing would give more pleasure then to see Haruhi get slammed on the back of the head.

You know, I find people who have such a morbid obsession with finding excuses for brutalizing women to be creepy as hell. Sorry guys, but a normal well-adjusted male who plans on spending a significant portion of his life outside of prison is not going to respond to that particular scenario by leaping over the desk and pummeling the crap out of a girl during the middle of class. Puzzlement and anger are to be expected, but a sudden irrational attack in response isn't the mark of a man, but the brand of someone who is weak-willed and maybe not entirely sane. Perhaps I simply can't seen the situation the way you do because I'm secure enough with my own masculinity that I don't have to respond to each and every provocation with a lot of adolescent braying and testosterone spraying.

You are not going to do go there, the fact is Haruhi is probably not a person I would ever want to meet in real life, Im not advocating violence against women, trust me given the chance that the rules of this world were lifted I would slap her. But since I cannot do that Legally, I won't.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Death Note, REALLY? I won't say Death Note isn't a good anime, but I'd never ever consider it the Best Of The Year. It's interesting for a while, yeah, but then it gets so pretencious and sound overloaded with plot twists and talking and ugh, it's just ridiculous. I learned to hate the series after the end of the manga.
Flipnofunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Paprika was an amazing film, but, no mention of Tekkon Kinkreet? I love that movie, both looking visually stunning and had it little charm to both of them
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Zac wrote:
Again, Tyrenol doesn't like the show because Kyon gets hit by Haruhi and the oppression of white males through cartoon violence gets his blood boiling. Anything else he says is spurious, that's the root of it.

I can speak for myself, thank you very much.

But you know... There wouldn't be an argument over any of it if most of it wasn't true. I wasn't the one calling out for badly plotted anime that plays past 1:00am.

Oh well...

Welcome home.

Very Happy_=

I hope you realize that you're the only one who has any idea what you're talking about at this point. Neutral
Lemwon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I really don't understand people like this.
Do you only watch a show once?

Yeah, I know some people want to read for themselves, but to consider a title RUINED because you find out what happens?
Use your heads. There are only so many options for any story to progress...Point being, there's no such thing as a spoiler if one is paying attention. Once in awhile one finds an incredible author who can manage not to telegraph the ending, but overall it's the details of the obvious ending that make a title interesting or not. Overall anime & manga are masses entertainment & follow pretty predictable patterns

Okay, looking back I may be pushing it a bit with "ruined". As for finding out about a title from patterns, I'm a new anime fan. I haven't mastered the skill of knowing what will happen at the end of the story from episode 1. It isn't like this is the first time I've seen a spoiler, but that doesn't mean it still annoys me now.

And many thanks to Zac for the spoiler warning. Very Happy
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
I always look forward to your end of the year(or is it beginning of the year?)article, Key. Adding Carl to the mix was a nice touch.

I am glad you mentioned Ergo Proxy, Solty Rei, and The Third in your subsequent post on this thread. I do understand that length was a factor, however, when I reached the end of the article, I found myself thinking, "...the end already?" Probably just me, though.

Oh, and I'm glad that Noein wasn't far from the top of your list as well. It ranks in the top 5 favorites of '07 for me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
First, my apologies on not putting in the spoiler warning from the beginning. It never occurred to me that this would be an issue, but it probably should have. Zac has taken care of that issue, however.

Well, as the person who brought this up initially, Thankyou. I appreciate your admiting that it may have been an oversight to not do so initially. I'm sure it was a mistake that most people would make though so no hard feelings.
Conelead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
I still believe that despite everything that has been said, Haruhi was the series of the year. I realize that a lot of people are going to balk at this, so I'm going to explain my reasoning.

Haruhi deserves the spot for a few reasons
1) In and of itself, it is a pretty good series
2) This series was the breakout series for KyoAni
3) Fan response

Series of the year is obviously a subjective term that will be judged by different criteria for different people, but IMHO the best criteria take into account not only the series itself, but the effect of the series upon the industry in general.

Was Haruhi, in and of itself, the best series of the year? Of course not. There were a number of series better than it this year, and there will continue to be series better than it. But, it was a good and memorable series.

Air was KyoAni's first series, and a good one at that. The series drew interest from fans and showed that KyoAni was a studio capapble of doing good things. Haruhi turned them into instant household names (as far as anime is concerned). The fact of the matter is, the popularity of Haruhi contributed greatly, and will continue to contribute to the success of KyoAni.

The third point is the fan response to Haruhi. This is the major reason I feel Haruhi deserves the spot for series of the year. Ten years from now, what will this year be remembered for? It won't be the year of DeathNote or the year of Mushi-shi. It'll be the year of Haruhi. Haruhi took the fan community this year by storm, spreading like wildfire. If the series holds up to long-term scrutiny (which I believe it will) 2007 will be the year of Haruhi.

Think back to years past, and what the community in general remembers.

1989 - DBZ
1992 - Sailor Moon
1994-1995 - Rurouni Kenshin
2002 - Naruto
2003-2004 - Fullmetal Alchemist

Were any of these the best series produced in their year? The only one I'd even consider arguing is FMA. That still doesn't change the fact that those years are remembered for those series. It's not always the best series that should be series of the year. It's the series that did the most. Haruhi did the most this year. It deserves the spot.

I'm gonna move the analogy to another field that should be familiar to a lot of people on this forum: Videogames.

In the last 10 years, there have been many video games produced. I would say that if there was to be an award for video game of the decade (1998-2008) there would be only two reasonable candidates:

StarCraft
Counter-Strike

Say whatever you want, but I feel that these two games have had far more impact on the gaming industry in general than any other game produced in the last ten years. These were the games that brought online play to the masses, that forged the pro-gaming community. These were the games that forever changed the face of videogaming. That is why they deserve the award. Are they the best games produced in the past ten years? Definitively not. Are they the greatest? Yes.

Haruhi deserves the series of the year slot not because it was the best series in and of itself. It deserves the series of the year slot because it was a very good series that generated a tremendous wave in the community.
ch0c0b0fr34k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:59 am Reply with quote
I agree with said above and have a bit to add to that.

I think a series like MoHS is sort of a hit or miss kind of show. Either you like it or you don't. I admit I rather appreciated the random order when it came out, because I was on an anime-nighter and was getting bored.

Saying that, MoHS provides viewers some sense of originality. Also, if you've read the LN's it's much more deep than it appears.

I believe the fan response and animation from KyoAni deserves some recognition, and that MoHS earned its slot for this year.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
I like the interface of reality and imagination in MoHS, it's kinda quixotic in a way, if you know what I mean, that doesn't come up too often, that's why I like it, and when it comes to ripping off evangelion or the matrix, I'm not seeing it.

I can't see any Matrix at all (at least not matrix features that are features of Sci-fi generally) and any evangelion ripoffs are present in half the anime that's been produced in the last ten years (and I highly suspect that even before that red haired tsundere and blue haired silent characters existed anyway), anyway I don't think any similarities to evangelion are particularly intentional (except any parts that might seen as homage or parody).

Anyway I thought it got the right recognition this year (I thought it was better than death note, but that said I know a lot of people who love death note)
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
JackCox wrote:
Seriously what is the deal with Haruhi Suzumiya, It's nothing special. It holds no candle to any of these other shows. WHAT THE HELL do people see in this series, it's mind-boggling. It's okay at best, it's great but it's not master-piece OMG worthy. THe best show of the year was undoubtedly Mushishi. DeathNote is at least in the Top 3 but Carl got it right with Mushishi

I find your comment strange considering that neither one of them said MOHS was the best show of the year. One didn't even list it. I think haruhi got the right amount of love in this column.

i didn't Haruhi that much interesting at first...but as the DVDs came out, i found it very engaging and fun series....Haruhi as a character she was very charming and very hard to ignore....

the plotline also was very unusual in fact that you can't tell if it's a high school drama or maybe sci-fi series...

guess it's either you get it or you don't....personally it's one of my all time favorite...

i also cried my eyes out at death of Misuzu in Air TV....one of the best English dubbing by ADV....if it doesn't move you in anyway, you're either dead or just heartless bastard....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
eviltimes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
NHK is the best series.

Death Note is boring and repetitive. Only the Shinigame is worth watching.

Paprika is amazing.

Happy New Year!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8