• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Worst) Of 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louieatrest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I liked the picks in this article, and I can appreciate the difficulty in making choices, comparing MoHS with Black lagoon, two excellent series, seems like choosing the best among fruit, apples and oranges both being excellent. What I really appreciated was the nod towards my-otome, whose character designs alone make the shows very watchable.... I think I could shut the sound off completely and it wouls still work for me.
I am a little sad not to have heard anything about School Rumble...But I can understand why not as the series only really starts to shine after episode #7... bananas are also an excellant fruit.

Thanks.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
louieatrest wrote:
I am a little sad not to have heard anything about School Rumble...But I can understand why not as the series only really starts to shine after episode #7... bananas are also an excellant fruit.

From your viewpoint, then, it's probably best that I dropped the awards I was considering giving to School Rumble for Stupidest Series of the Year and/or Stupidest Characters of the Year (i.e. the two leads). . . Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with pretty much all of this. This WILL be remembered as the year of Death Note. It's the most popular thing to come out since FMA, and will be more popular than Haruhi Suzumiya in the long run, assuming it already isn't.

I really doubt that. It doesn't seem to me that the Death Note anime came out at a good time. If it had come our parallel to the manga, I think it would have been huge. I tend to forget that there even is an anime version some times. But I don't think Haruhi wil be forgotten any time soon. I'm sure future anime will copy it to death.
louieatrest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
louieatrest wrote:

From your viewpoint, then, it's probably best that I dropped the awards I was considering giving to School Rumble for Stupidest Series of the Year and/or Stupidest Characters of the Year (i.e. the two leads). . . Wink

Well Harima and Tenma are truely the gods of stupidity, so that award would certainly be fitting, but maybe you could have included them in a category called :" Most empathetic characters not to pilot a mecha"!
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
The stupidity is what makes it funny, but it does get somewhat boring after a while
Conelead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I should clarify my statement regarding KyoAni.

I believe Air was the first largely successful series where KyoAni was the major producer of the series. I realize KyoAni played rolls in a bunch of other series, and had a few original productions. But, Air was really the first time the studio was out in the eyes of most of the anime-watching public, heading up its own production. If I am wrong, then I'm wrong, and I was misinformed. But, that's what I thought.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Conelead wrote:

I believe Air was the first largely successful series where KyoAni was the major producer of the series. I realize KyoAni played rolls in a bunch of other series, and had a few original productions. But, Air was really the first time the studio was out in the eyes of most of the anime-watching public, heading up its own production. If I am wrong, then I'm wrong, and I was misinformed. But, that's what I thought.

...Full Metal Panic doesn't count as successful, I suppose?
nuaythebest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Conelead wrote:

FMP first season wasn't done by KyoAni. However , they did FMP:fumoffu and the second season.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Be honest, are you guys on the take from Kadokawa or something? What's with the constant plugs for them and Bandai Visual including this "awards ceremony"?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Be honest, are you guys on the take from Kadokawa or something? What's with the constant plugs for them and Bandai Visual including this "awards ceremony"?

You wanna readjust your tinfoil hat a little and give me some examples so I can point out why you're wrong instead of just saying "no"?
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
nuaythebest wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Conelead wrote:

FMP first season wasn't done by KyoAni. However , they did FMP:fumoffu and the second season.

I'm aware of that. My point remains the same.
[Cyclops]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most Preposterous Scene: Jupiter used as the core of a weapon, Gunbuster episode 6; Earth used as the core of a weapon, Gunbuster 2 episode 6

I read this, and I seriously need to be carefull about breaking down into a fit of laughter....

When Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann hits the US, this is going to be funny.....
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
We get it, Haruhi got more 9's/10's than shows you like so you feel personally hurt. Oh well? After just looking, there is a reason it has 1901 masterpieces and the 70 votes for "so-so" has more weight than the 159 for "worst ever".

Yeah I have noticed that the more popular a show is the more people give it a worst ever rating percentage wise. Why all the hate?

Seems to be a lot of dispute about Death Note. I've never read the manga but what's aired on adult swim seems to be pretty good stuff. Everyone in my house (my 55 mom, my 13 and 26 year old cousins) watches it and I am the only anime fan in the bunch. I give the show very high marks for that alone. They religiously follow it. They are constantly asking me if a new episode is on Tivo. For those of us who haven't seen 100's of anime it's original and unique. Personally I have seen 100's of anime and I still think it's great for all the reasons listed in the column.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Haruhi is it suffered from some very weak writing, but made up with it through the use of animation to cover the series weaknesses. It was also helped along by the cast's chemistry a bit, but they were still hit and miss. Aya Hirano was great in this, but everything she's done since has been weak sauce, still she carried the show in this. Sugita Tomokazu I don't like much at all, even in this as he basically plays the same character in every anime and in the exact same manner, except when he doesn't in some games, which is when he's actually not terribly bad. He still has the most annoying voice I have heard in anime and seems to carry a curse with him where he ruins every character he voices and the series suffers from having to focus more attention to the character because OMG it's Sugita Tomokazu and he was in Haruhi. Confused Chihara Minori is pretty boring and unemotional in every role I've ever seen and doesn't give much other than a cold read, but that's she was perfect for Yuki Nagato. Couldn't have made a better choice, but keep her out of the industry otherwise. Yuko Goto was great in her portrayal, she really gave it some effort, and Daisuke Ono is just an all arounder.

The music in the series outside of some vocals was also non-existant. See the thing is I wouldn't give the series much higher than an 8 once all of the pieces are added up, but I do have to admire how it covered it's weaknesses and showed it's strengths. Now if only Kyoto Animation could have done that again when they did Lucky Star. If I were to give it an award it would be most effort, but to me their were much better series in 2006 like Code Geass and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni to name a few.

On the issue of Death Note, while it has a good start, the series just tanks on the writing front oncespoiler[L is killed off and it reached the whole Near and Mello thing. The series loses that great adverserial edge it had with L and Kira by that point and Near and Mello don't do much to help.]

Also the series suffers from the Aya Hirano curse, which is basically the same as the Sugita Tomokazu curse.

It kind of sucks that so many of the series that did air in 2007 haven't seen a release yet. Given the options I can see where Carl and Theron are coming from, even if I don't particularly like most of the series they have picked, they stuck to the purpose, which was Anime in America. Though had some series like Code Geass, Gurren Lagann and Higurashi Kai been released by now I think (I hope as I get the impression the two might not appreciate this type of show) this list would have looked a lot different. Ultimately though I can't really take it seriously, but it's still good for debate.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Cicatriz wrote:

I really doubt that. It doesn't seem to me that the Death Note anime came out at a good time. If it had come our parallel to the manga, I think it would have been huge. I tend to forget that there even is an anime version some times. But I don't think Haruhi wil be forgotten any time soon. I'm sure future anime will copy it to death.

I can tell you which one is more popular with non-otaku. That makes a lot of difference in ratings. Maybe not sales, except in the case of manga, but ratings and legacy, yes. Otaku at my school love Haruhi, but they also love Death Note and so do all the casual nerds and gamers and goths at school. Death Note's everywhere right now. Non-extreme fan support counts for a lot here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8