• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Saturday Night Live Spoofs 'J-Pop Talk Show'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
It's 2011 and people still think anime is the poorly dubbed Mach Go Go dub.

See, this is why animation is dead in America.

Last edited by TitanXL on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, all they needed to add was some fat hambeast, the "elitist tripfag" 4chan user, and the easy con slut that f***s everything in sight to be dead on accurate.

With special guest appearance by a Stu Levy analogue (the middle-age creeper/possible pedophile jailbait chaser) for good measure. Maybe the next few skits. The writers would have a field day if they dig deep enough.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's 2011 and people still think anime is the poorly dubbed Mach Go Go dub.

See, this is why animation is dead and stagnant in America.

I fail to see the problem. The Speed Racer dub, which is about the only thing it's not silly to refer to it as for present purposes, remains a pretty widely recognized and understood point of reference for a lot of people, whereas more contemporary anime is an infinitesimal niche that a careful parody of would simply baffle or mean nothing to most people. Obscure references are fine for asides and throwaway gags or something meant for a very narrow audience, but for something meant for a broader audience, a familiar point of reference is practical. Deriding something because it doesn't cater to your idiosyncratic expectations is suggestive of a lack of perspective.

TitanXL wrote:
See, this is why animation is dead and stagnant in America.

I don't have access to drugs powerful enough to find how your assertion follows from all of this. In fact, I think its really just manifestation of a monomaniacal entertainment chauvinism on behalf of another country based upon an narrow, immature infatuation with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...can only be streamed within the united states...

Dammnit Hulu...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I fail to see the problem. The Speed Racer dub, which is about the only thing it's not silly to refer to it as for present purposes, remains a pretty widely recognized and understood point of reference for a lot of people, whereas more contemporary anime is an infinitesimal niche that a careful parody of would simply baffle or mean nothing to most people.

They get it because it's been regurgitated tons of times in various other places.

The problem is it's not even true anymore, and it isn't even a problem with anime itself so much as the American handling of it. Still seems pretty outdated and stupid to keeping reinforcing and resorting to 'this is anime' with it after all these years, it just shows how unoriginal writers are.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I fail to see the problem. The Speed Racer dub, which is about the only thing it's not silly to refer to it as for present purposes, remains a pretty widely recognized and understood point of reference for a lot of people, whereas more contemporary anime is an infinitesimal niche that a careful parody of would simply baffle or mean nothing to most people.

They get it because it's been regurgitated tons of times in various other places.

The problem is it's not even true anymore, and it isn't even a problem with anime itself so much as the American handling of it. Still seems pretty outdated and stupid to keeping reinforcing and resorting to 'this is anime' with it after all these years, it just shows how unoriginal writers are.

We anime fans know it's not true anymore, but the rest of the SNL viewing audience doesn't. It's like Surrender Artist said; current anime parodies would be as unfunny to 'them' as this was unfunny to (some of) us. I haven't watched it, so I don't have an opinion on it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
grooveygirl wrote:
Wow SNL is still on. I thought it was canceled ages ago.

It's currently NBC's highest-rated scripted show. It's had a bit of a renaissance in the last 5-6 years.

I didn't know Anna Faris was still doing anything.

...apparently not.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Why can't they just stop referencing Speed Racer and it's terrible outdated dub as the ONLY thing that Americans know of anime today? Do the people really think Speed Racer is the only anime series fans talk about these days?

Why can't they reference ANY modern day anime/manga titles? There's more than just Speed Racer, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon in the anime fandom! Anime dubbing has progressed A LOT from the Speed Racer days.

If only there was a better parody, then I would have laughed more better about it.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see that as a speed racer reference.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
grooveygirl wrote:
Wow SNL is still on. I thought it was canceled ages ago.

It's currently NBC's highest-rated scripted show. It's had a bit of a renaissance in the last 5-6 years.

You mean Bill Hader. And only Bill Hader. Without him, the show goes right back to utterly worthless. Hell, even with him, it's still pretty terrible unless they're doing political skits.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
Eh... I dunno. I get what they were trying to do, but I feel like it would have been funnier if they hadn't hit you in the face with the joke quite as much. But I guess that's a pretty common sin with SNL sketches. I think maybe it would have been funnier if they had been high school kids instead of college students. Most people I know who went through a "weeb phase" grew out of it long before college. Plus that gives you the opportunity to throw in some angst and disapproving parents.

I agree that the kids should have been portrayed as high school age, but I think they did it that way to justify the presence of the Professor, whose observations were the funniest parts of the sketch, IMO.

My brother just emailed me about the reaction this is getting over on the Crunchyroll site. Entertaining stuff.

Frankly, I think humor like this is almost a public service and a wake-up call to some of these kids who act like this at cons., even though it might upset them now.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never figured the people from SNL (a show I don't watch and in which I have little interest) would read my mind. People like the ones parodied in the skit are a big reason I stopped going to cons. Several posters have said they've never encountered people like this, so maybe they're fading away and I can stop being a grumpy old otaku . . .

I don't think the point was that the SNL writers only know about the Speed Racer dub, so that's what they parodied--I think the point was that the CHARACTERS don't actually know anything about anime or Japanese culture, so the Speed Racer-esque dubs are all they really know about (that, or they watch Japanese game shows on the internet without subtitles or understanding Japanese, and so just mimic the gestures and exclamations rather than what people are actually saying/doing).
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Are there any links to this video for people outside the US seeing as it's not even viewable on NBC's site?

(I'm sick and tired of all this region-lock crap, especially for shows that will never get shown in the UK! Evil or Very Mad)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
So they basically saw World's Greatest Otaku, huh? Rolling Eyes
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
... I agree that the kids should have been portrayed as high school age, but I think they did it that way to justify the presence of the Professor, whose observations were the funniest parts of the sketch, IMO.
I agree that the jokes were the funniest part of the sketch ~ the silly kids who never outgrew their middle school vision of Japan are just the set-up for "Sensei Mark".

Given that Sensei Mark had all the best lines, the "zOMG WTF Is THIS? I could only watch 30 seconds" brigade at Crunchyroll read like self-parody.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6