• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Saturday Night Live Spoofs 'J-Pop Talk Show'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
Wow, I never figured the people from SNL (a show I don't watch and in which I have little interest) would read my mind. People like the ones parodied in the skit are a big reason I stopped going to cons. Several posters have said they've never encountered people like this, so maybe they're fading away and I can stop being a grumpy old otaku . . .

I don't think the point was that the SNL writers only know about the Speed Racer dub, so that's what they parodied--I think the point was that the CHARACTERS don't actually know anything about anime or Japanese culture, so the Speed Racer-esque dubs are all they really know about (that, or they watch Japanese game shows on the internet without subtitles or understanding Japanese, and so just mimic the gestures and exclamations rather than what people are actually saying/doing).

Agreed. I guess I'm both surprised and not so surprised by the reaction to this skit. Anime fans takes themselves way too seriously apparently. The point of the skit imo, wasn't to showcase that this is what anime is and look how lame it is, it was to showcase this is how some hardcore weeaboo anime fans behave and look how lame and misinformed they are. What's not funny about that? Because even if this isn't the majority of how anime fans behave this is still how some fans behave. You know those fans who believe the land of the rising sun is awesome sauce, and would sell their kidneys to visit there or live there, those fans who know zero japanese outside of the few phrases they learn from watching anime but still think that's enough to make them fluent? Yeah, those are the fans this skit is making fun of. I have no idea why everyone seems to think this is a jab at anime itself, I thought it was pretty apparent this is a joke on those weeaboo fans especially with that Japanese teacher involved to show how incredibly misinformed these two students were (who was easily the funniest person in the sketch). Anyway people need to relax. This skit was harmless fun, it's not gonna anymore further skew any non-fan's limited perspective of anime than the already very limited notion that they have, and obviously it's not gonna change any fan's already establish view of anime.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:
Eh... I dunno. I get what they were trying to do, but I feel like it would have been funnier if they hadn't hit you in the face with the joke quite as much. But I guess that's a pretty common sin with SNL sketches. I think maybe it would have been funnier if they had been high school kids instead of college students. Most people I know who went through a "weeb phase" grew out of it long before college. Plus that gives you the opportunity to throw in some angst and disapproving parents.

I agree that the kids should have been portrayed as high school age, but I think they did it that way to justify the presence of the Professor, whose observations were the funniest parts of the sketch, IMO.

My brother just emailed me about the reaction this is getting over on the Crunchyroll site. Entertaining stuff.

Frankly, I think humor like this is almost a public service and a wake-up call to some of these kids who act like this at cons., even though it might upset them now.

I dunno, they could have had the professor be a high school Japanese teacher and his role would have still been just as funny. Maybe I'm just lucky to not have run into people who are still acting like this in their 20's.

LOL the Crunchyroll comments are hilarious. I love that there are people getting genuinely butthurt over this sketch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and I'm actually surprised more people weren't pissed that the "Japanese girlfriend" looks like Yoko Ono. Laughing
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Sigh just awful that was just so awful snl is just a let down now
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
In the spirit of forum-troll nitpicking, and as a graduate of MSU's telecommunications program, can I just point out two things:

1. That set is way nicer than any of the shit we ever built.
2. Those kids aren't nearly drunk enough to be MSU students
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
In the spirit of forum-troll nitpicking, and as a graduate of MSU's telecommunications program, can I just point out two things:

Oh, c'mon, these kids're too wrapped up in their own little fantasy world to even know where to get a fake ID.

The set point is probably valid ~ but jokes about how bad the set was would have distracted from Sensei Mark.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Are there any links to this video for people outside the US seeing as it's not even viewable on NBC's site?

(I'm sick and tired of all this region-lock crap, especially for shows that will never get shown in the UK! Evil or Very Mad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpQ6nfMi80

For the Non-American Citizens on here. Get it before it's yanked!!

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The whole time I was hoping that someone one would come up on stage and screem at them for being weebos, sensei mark was funny but this really needed to be about high schoolers at least
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the audience's uncomfortable "what the hell am I being made to watch" laughter early on.

Then, once Mark-sensei is introduced, they clue into the idea of "OK, these kids are completely insane, so I don't have to follow what they're going on about." Nice way to handle an obscure premise that could have been pretty alienating to the average viewer.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
That was the most I laughed at a SNL sketch since Zach Galifianakis hosted. Laughing
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

As a fellow alumni of Michigan State University, I had those exact thoughts watching this.

Yeah, weeaboos are irritating and annoying but I can't hate them too much, because their hearts are in the right place, even if their brains are up their asses.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Finally watched it...what do you call it. When something is so painful, yet you still want to watch it because of how bad it is?(like how people want to watch The Room fully knowing how bad it is) I like the professor tho.

Also, anyone know what the "teeheeheehee-OOHH!" joke is supposed to be about? A reference to something?

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
It's funny because that's some of us yet in denial! Laughing

Sunday Silence wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Are there any links to this video for people outside the US seeing as it's not even viewable on NBC's site?

(I'm sick and tired of all this region-lock crap, especially for shows that will never get shown in the UK! Evil or Very Mad)

Saved and torrented. Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Man this skit had me in tears, especially the "Japanese girlfriend" thing Laughing

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Many thanks.

Quote:
Daytona Beacheru!

This got me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6