• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
From the Gallery - Defending anime amongst others

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:34 am Reply with quote
Full marks mate, you did the right thing. As a parent myself I have been in a similar situation when my 8-year-old daughter had one of her schoolmates over to our house and watched "My Neighbour Totoro". Later the girl's mother sussed me out during the school pickup an told me her daughter said that she watched a move where the little girls in it were shown bathing with their father and wanted to know it if it was true. I was honest with her and explained that it was Japanese in origination and that in their culture it is acceptable for a family to bathe together in a communal bath. I told her that it was done in a tasteful manor and no genitals were exposed. I also told her that it was an import from the States and rated as "G" for general audience in the US. I asked if there was a problem with that and I even asked if she would like to have the DVD to view herself. She said no there would be no need, she was just wanting to know if it was true, as anyone who has young'uns will know they can't half tell porkies sometimes. That was last year, and the girl and my daughter are still good friends and the mother still says hello when I see her. The wife didn't hear any stroppy whingings either so I guess there wasn't any taboos broken, though her daughter hasn't been to our house since, but I think that has been because of lack of convenience than any censorship on their part. But it was a bit disconcerting for a while there.
Syker 07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:35 am Reply with quote
I have to agree, you handled that the right way. On both fronts: In talking to a parent and talking to a religious person.

I'm not a parent, but I am a Christian, and I have to defend my hobby to overzelous members of my sect quite often. Nine times out of ten, they will genuinely respect your honesty in a discussion, and will appreciate any information you give them, especially if it clears up a misconception. I have actually discussed a little bit of Evangelion with our Minister. He didn't seem to have a problem with it when I told him that I didn't buy into all the imagery and pseudo-christianity (and I don't). But he respected that I took away a little bit of something from the more personal messages underlying the plot. He said he would normally advise someone to stay away from such a thing, but that my discernment seemed well intact, and that as long as I solid in my faith, I shouldn't have a problem. Now, that's all besides the point, as I would continue my hobby anyway, but it's good to get the go-ahead from the guy that runs the Church.

I think you handled yourself well, and I think your friend appreciated your help in dealing with an issue of parental intervention.

Syker Seven
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:42 am Reply with quote
It seems like clear thinking from both you guys. There are too many fans out there who will jump all over anyone who dislikes or disapproves of anime. Remember, if someone chooses not to like anime, for whatever reason, that is their choice; they have the right to their opinion.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:05 am Reply with quote
They get ratings for a reason, and though some of the ratings may be a bit farfetched, just because it's animated doesn't mean it's for kids. You did the right movie. Anyone who said you did other wise and they plan on becoming a parent needs to look into a few things.
Tokaji Kyoden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Far too many who are not familiar with anime have the opinion that it is all adult content. I have had to defend myself against these kinds of people for many years, and they often classify me as a pervert for watching what they consider to be a quite inappropriate genre of entertainment.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I think that you did the right thing mate. However, there's a difference between a parent finding something inapporpiate for their children to watch at a particular age (and allowing them to watch when they get a older) and being completely against their chidren watching anime at any age (even if they are over 13 and want to watch something that's been rated T. Well you know how some parents are Sad .). I think that that a parent should at least take a look at a particular anime that his or her child is interested in watching so it won't be like they're are making a judjement based just on someone else's words.
Again, I think you did the right thing and I'm proud of you.

P.S. I'm not a parent yet but I when I'll become a parent I think I will allow my teenage son or daughter to watch shows with some nudity in them (if I'll consider them mature enough to handle it). I don't see anything wrong with that.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:20 pm Reply with quote
You know, once kids turns 18 and moves away they can watch anything they like. Until then, however, they have to live by their parents descisions. Unfair? maybe, but that's the way it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1