• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Cooking Master Boy (Chukan Ichiban!)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Not that the majority of the population that has never learned French (or had to use a style manual for editing restaurant reviews) would ever care, but gourmand means "glutton". The English synonym for gourmet is "epicure", for which "foodie" is a less-pretentious alternative.

Is that true? Zac said the same thing, but I looked it up in the dictionary, and it apparently means (from m-w.com):
1 : one who is excessively fond of eating and drinking
2 : one who is heartily interested in good food and drink

So I guess it's both. And I admit to being both, anyway. Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I must confess I have always wanted to read this genre but I don't seem to know what titles to look out for. This DVD is something I know I'll never get to see, so what manga should I watch out for?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This DVD is something I know I'll never get to see, so what manga should I watch out for?

Yakitate!! Japan. I think Viz is up to Vol.8 right now. It's chock full of word and culture jokes, but the "meat" (actually, bread) of the franchise lies in the very detailed descriptions, sciences, and poignantly delectable processes of preparing such items of doughy goodness. I highly recommend this series if you're looking for a fun and zany cooking twist on the shounen genre.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Tony, then that's what I'll buy :3
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
MokonaModoki wrote:
Not that the majority of the population that has never learned French (or had to use a style manual for editing restaurant reviews) would ever care, but gourmand means "glutton". The English synonym for gourmet is "epicure", for which "foodie" is a less-pretentious alternative.

Is that true? Zac said the same thing, but I looked it up in the dictionary, and it apparently means (from m-w.com):
1 : one who is excessively fond of eating and drinking
2 : one who is heartily interested in good food and drink

So I guess it's both. And I admit to being both, anyway. Smile

Actually it's the French word 'glouton' that translates to 'glutton' in English (both come from the Latin glutto). Both the French and English words imply a greedy and excessive comsumption of food. The word gourmand on the other hand is more complicated. The English definitionis somewhat different from the French definition. In French, gourmand tends imply excess but not greed.

Although I can't speak for all French speaking people; as a French Canadian, I've heard the word 'gourmand' used in both ways. But, usually the second definition (one who is heartily interested in good food and drink) has been the intended meaning about 95% of the time.

So really, what it comes down to, is that the word's implied meaning varies depending on where you are.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a real blast from the past for me! It's also the first Buried Treasure featured anime that I've actually seen.

Like some people in this thread, I saw this when it was aired locally years back. I watched it religiously during the day, and I loved it. The reactions to the food were insane (my watching of this show is definitely one reason that I wasn't put off in the slightest by Yakitate Japan!). I recall that some of my anime fan relatives and me tried to replicate the reactions during dinner after watching that spoiler[Big Bang Shumai] episode, and we failed miserably (couldn't stop laughing at ourselves Laughing).

And, yes its non-ending was remarkably disappointing, to be honest. It didn't end, it just stopped, and right when the then-running story arc started to get interesting. Anime cry Still, it's a pretty good show.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
[...]I have a certain appreciation for cooking anime and manga -- of which there are quite a few of the latter, but precious few of the former. In my research, I could only come up with about a dozen shows, most of them older and completely unfamiliar to American fans.

I was able to come up with (using this thread, memory, and search engines):
What did I miss (and what mistakes did I make Anime smile + sweatdrop )?

Edit: Loveridge, Lynzee (13 December 2014). "7 Manga To Improve Your Cooking". The List.

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Fighting Foodons is way too idiotic to qualify >>
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
What did I miss (and what mistakes did I make Anime smile + sweatdrop )?

Heh, nice. I didn't bother saving my little informal survey list, but yours looks about the same as mine did.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Where'd you eat the cheesecake, Justin?

Cheers to Mr. Watson (see you in a few weeks?) and SalarymanJoe for mentioning Mr. Ajikko. I've seen three episodes in raw Japanese, and that shit is CAPTIVATING-- Yasuhiro Imagawa's talent for melodrama and larger-than-life characters really shines. I'd love to see that one fansubbed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Justin, as I mentioned on the current simlar taste thread your public "seen all" profile is full of great recommendations. I also love the new avatar your using.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Where'd you eat the cheesecake, Justin?

Finalé. It was on their Prix Fixe menu, and it was, to put it mildly, a stirring and nostalgic reflection on life. The slight bitterness of the cranberry reminded me of the regrets one accumulates over a lifetime, and the mild, blanket-like sweetness of the cheesecake bathed the regrets in the distant and loving fondness that the years provide. Beyond that, it was just really fricking good.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Justin, as I mentioned on the current simlar taste thread your public "seen all" profile is full of great recommendations. I also love the new avatar your using.

Thanks! That's a cool thread, I'm just now going through everyone's lists.
aresgoddess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
omg...i LOVE this series. a friend lent me the first few episodes a couple years ago. haven't seen past episode 3. Anime smile;; But I loved those three episodes! I couldn't believe it when I saw it on Buried Treasure. Kudos to Justin for putting it in his column!
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Cheers to Mr. Watson (see you in a few weeks?) and SalarymanJoe for mentioning Mr. Ajikko.

Yup—and also in two-and-a-half months. Very Happy (Not that I've actually seen any of the series I listed, other than the first two episodes of Yakitate!! Japan (and U-Jin's Kyukyoku Chef Oishinbo Papa, which is debatable at best).)
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, I convinced my mother to rent the Cantonese dubbed VHS tapes of Cooking Master Boy from a now-defunct video store in Flushing.

She hasn't taken an interest in anime or manga since reading "Candy Candy" in HK as a teenager, but this series had her hooked. I guess it helped that the show resembled those Chinese historical dramas on TVB.

Something about Cooking Master Boy made us take it seriously, even though the presentation was completely ridiculous. Such as characters orgasming over dishes as though their food was spiked w/ hallucinogenic drugs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3