• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Cooking Master Boy (Chukan Ichiban!)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W-General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
Good series. This was one of my childhood favorites because it's one of those shows that kept getting reruns on Taiwanese cable TV. I never got around to watching the whole thing though. Doesn't matter, I eventually tracked down the manga and read the whole thing.

That's probably what I would recommend people doing. If you understand Chinese or Japanese, track down the manga and read it. (I'm not sure how far English scanlations are on). The ending is complete, etc.

Oh I thought Mei Li was fairly fine looking.....when she had the ponytail. When she got her new look, that was more meh.

Some of the other mentioned food manga....Shota no Sushi is an awesome series too. It also spawned a J-drama series featuring Kinki Kids if I remember correctly LOL. But get the manga too, that's good stuff. Makes my mouth water everytime I see it.
Celes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
In reference to the "gourmand" definition debate, I'll throw in my two cents: When I lived in France, I was taught that gourmand simply meant you liked to eat a lot and it was not used as an insult.

C'est fantastique, non? Anime smile

Edit: For people looking for cooking manga recommendations, I give my vote to Kitchen Princess. It's a great shojo manga and the ones published in English have the recipes for the items the protagonist cooks![/b]
aresgoddess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
Edit: For people looking for cooking manga recommendations, I give my vote to Kitchen Princess. It's a great shojo manga and the ones published in English have the recipes for the items the protagonist cooks![/b]

I totally agree! I just finished vol. 1 of Kitchen Princess. It's kind of like a combo of Utena and Yakitate! Ja-pan, with a dash of Peach Girl. Very Happy I can't wait to get the rest of the available volumes.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
With all the Yakitate Japan mentions in this thread, it definitely makes me even more curious about this one. I was already interested just by reading the article. Unfortunately, I'm not really one to search the internet, so it'll remain as something else unseen, but that I heard a little bit about. Wink

Also, is it just me, or did anyone else see Mao's sort-of resemblance to Tyson/Takao from Beyblade? *shrugs* It must be the blue ponytailed hair...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
Just an update, I started watching Yakitate!!Japan and you guys were right. It's outright hilarious and interesting at the same time! Episode 2 of the anime is so damn funny, all those Japanese word misinterpretations, especially because I studied plenty of it to get it. Anime hyper

The manga's a riot too. I definitely plan on staying with this breadbasket!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3