• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animated Batman Video Gets Novelization, Date

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
This is obviously just an attempt to make anime more popular in the US where anime haters are in a vast majority.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Who cares what it's an attempt of, looking at the people working on it from both countries this should be awesome.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
I heard this over at Comics2Film. Full disclosure. I got a blog there. Actually, it's a blog named after a Batman reference, but talks more about anime and manga.

They talk about it here.
http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=30694

They also linked to some released artwork for the novelization. Not sure which studio or short the design is from, but it looks interesting.
http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=click&r=story&b=30724

I'm very excited about this project. I like the authors and director involved as well as the Japanese studios.

I can't wait to see the New Frontier film anyway. That we get a sneak of this Batman anime is a nice bonus.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
The stiff pose kind of makes me wonder if it's based off concept art..... still, the very dark greytones of the novel cover Xenos linked too makes for a stylish look. I'm curious if we'll see any merchandising from DC Direct related to it [or from Japanese companies who've released J-Batman merch in the past].

With the 60's Batman manga getting released, this is all quite fun :)
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
As a lifelong fan of the Batman, I will definitely be picking this up when the time comes.

It looks freaking sweet, and with Bruce Timm, you can't go wrong.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
I think where Batman has a more universal following than the Matrix, this could be a good turning point for the anime world. Hopefully after this is released other people that would never have thought to watch anime will get into it.
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
This is obviously just an attempt to make anime more popular in the US where anime haters are in a vast majority.

I'm quite sure there are only a handful of people who actively hate anime. The vast majority are the ones who are either indifferent towards it, or have no idea what it is.

What this is, is an attempt to cash in on the success of The Animatrix.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:

I'm quite sure there are only a handful of people who actively hate anime.

There are quite a few. People who have little experience with it tend to be very critical of it, and people with no exposure are often told that it's juvenile and merely "geek-fodder". Heck, even my sister, who's seen and enjoyed some anime, tends to look down on me for watching it, simply because of its image here in the states.
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
silentjay wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:

I'm quite sure there are only a handful of people who actively hate anime.

There are quite a few. People who have little experience with it tend to be very critical of it, and people with no exposure are often told that it's juvenile and merely "geek-fodder". Heck, even my sister, who's seen and enjoyed some anime, tends to look down on me for watching it, simply because of its image here in the states.

Fair enough, but that's still not active hate. Ignorance does not automatically equal hate. Anime fans are looked down upon in Japan too, for the same reasons, so it's not a strictly US/NA thing.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
It's very, very cool to see Bruce Timm involved with this project. Now, if they managed to pry Paul Dini away from the stack of series he's writing for DC to do one of these, that would be the icing on the cake...
jay saenz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Japanese animation is unique in many aspects, but i think that the most important one is the freedom that animators enjoy compared to US, where all the animation is usually aimed to children and teenagers.

Maybe its not anime, but animation, the art that is been overlook but mainstream America, but little by little this is changing. Now we have american cartoons aimed to adults such as Family Guy and Drawn together... the thing is that most adult animation produced in America is usually comedy trying to be offensive and critical, not like in Japan, where violence and sex content is something normal, as it is in the Hollywood movies not aimed for children.

As for the Batman short animes, i cannot wait to see what this team of creative artists will acomplish... i love the Animatrix, enjoyed the Kill Bill animated sequence and i m sure that this Batman will not disapoint me.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

I completely disagree. Bruce Timm has won an Emmy for his work with the Batman cartoons. Every cartoon he's touched (Batman, Superman, Justice League, Batman Beyond) has been well done. The man makes quality material. To suggest otherwise is ignorance or just a flat out lie.

This will be quality for way more than just the animation and it certainly isn't just some marketing cash-in as you describe it.

Anyways, i'll be buying this. Madhouse and Production IG are great studios and as i've said, Bruce Timm has a basically spotless track record and an Emmy winning track record with Batman. Not only that, I like the idea of effective use of globalization and want to encourage that. Collaboration rather than just slinging the same product to a new market. Heres hoping for an HD release.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:

What this is, is an attempt to cash in on the success of The Animatrix.

I say this an attempt to make something awesome, nuts ta youse mugs.

Shaterri wrote:
It's very, very cool to see Bruce Timm involved with this project. Now, if they managed to pry Paul Dini away from the stack of series he's writing for DC to do one of these, that would be the icing on the cake...

It'd be even better if they got Kevin Conroy to do Batman's voice again. Probably not since this is a Dark Knight tie-in so Christian Bale's more likely. Still, one can dream. In fact, an ensemble cast of Bat-voices would be cool, one for each segment: Bale, Conroy, Rino Romano from The Batman (I think he's good, he just gets a sucky script) and what the hell, bring in Adam West for a few laughs.

Anyway, maybe if this is a hit, Dini might make his own anime. Black Canary & Zatanna: Fishnet Fighters.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:

Anyway, maybe if this is a hit, Dini might make his own anime. Black Canary & Zatanna: Fishnet Fighters.

Eh, It'd be more like "Zatanna and random Dini self insert character"
Actually, all these Batmangas and anime spin offs are starting to make me wonder how other DC heroes would fare (Marvel seemed to do alright, if you ignore the "Manga-verse". Who thought that having Asuka as the Human Torch was a good idea?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1