• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Chow Tried to Get Edison Chen, Kitty Zhang in DB

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prodigy_child

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't know who Kitty is, but I am damn glad that he wasn't able to get Edison Chen. Because that honestly would have made it worse for me. I admit I am biased toward him, but that guy is a crappy actor (and even more so a singer).

Last edited by Prodigy_child on Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if "tried to get" means the actors snubbed him, or that the studio said they wouldn't hire them.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he should have tried some more, you know, Japanese actors? Maybe the rest of the cast? Probably not...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder if "tried to get" means the actors snubbed him, or that the studio said they wouldn't hire them.

I'm wondering the same thing, I figure it could go either way. I'm leaning towards the latter, since this is made for Americans....

Quote:
Maybe he should have tried some more, you know, Japanese actors? Maybe the rest of the cast? Probably not...

Well, isn't it made for an American audience? Also, it's Stephen Chow, I think it's preeetty likely he knows a lot more Chinese actors than Japanese.

...and at the same time, how many Dragonball characters are actually Japanese? I mean, there are some with Japanese names (but can you call Ginyu Japanese?), and maybe a sprinkling here and there might be (Muten Roshi, for example), but other than that, there aren't really any nationalities. Heck, there are more characters with Chinese-y names than Japanese-y. And considering that Goku is based on Sun Wukong, I definitely wouldn't call him Japanese.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Emerje: The original story is technically of Chinese origin, but was adapted by Toriyama for Japanese audiences.

mrsatan:
Quote:

I imagine it's more like they wouldn't hire them because they weren't white enough.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

Most of the characters in the original Dragon Ball were suppose to be Chinese. As far as I know the only character in the series that was Japanese was Yajirobi.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Emerje: The original story is technically of Chinese origin, but was adapted by Toriyama for Japanese audiences.

VERY loosely adapted. DBZ is no Journey to the West. Actually, it was Dragon Ball that was more the adaptation and even then it was loose. It was mostly the idea of a Monkey King going on a journey, right? I think even that Saiyuki was closer.

Oh yeah and the original story myth was based on an actual journey by a Buddhist monk.
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
And then we get into the Saiyan Saga, which is a very loose 'adaptation' of Superman. Razz
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else not too suprised by this? This is pretty sad actually since I dislike the current cast.

Guess now we know just how much pull Chow has as a producer (let's not forget he is not an exectutive producer).

Last edited by Proman on Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping he has enough say on the FX and costumes that the inevitable bad acting doesn't kill the film. Those factors are the only reasons I endured the Fantastic Four movies.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
I was never interested in Fantastic Four. That movie had nothing on Spiderman, that's for certain. xD
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I imagine it's more like they wouldn't hire them because they weren't white enough.

This is a good point. This is just a repeat of when Bruce Lee didn't get the role for the Kungfu TV series. The story called for a bi-racial half Chinese character. Instead they cast a caucasian actor. If you don't see anything weird with a white actors playing characters named "Son Goku" "Tien Shin Han" "Yajirobi" etc then you need to realize that there's more to the world than black and white.

Hollywood has marginalized Asians so much that no one cares about yellow face.

I'm not trying to start a race war or anything, I think this movie is a joke as it is.

But really, ask yourself, why DONT you think its weird that white actors will be playing so many characters that are so obviously Asian in the comic. And if you don't think they're obviously Asian, why not? It's a Japanese comic based off of a Chinese legend (with characters that have Japanese versions of Chinese names). It just seems obvious that they are Asian.

Additionally, there ARE characters in Dragonball that are drawn to be more caucasian. Look at General Blue and alot of the Red Ribbon army guys. They look different from the norm (Asian), because they aren't the norm (they are white).

If you think its okay that Goku is white because he's an Alien, please consider this. When Dragonball was first started, no one had any idea he was an Alien. He was a little chinese kid with a tail wearing Chinese (not Japanese) clothing. Toriyama himself said that Dragonball was inspired from a book on China that his wife bought him.

Also, Superman is an alien yes? So why is it assumed that he is white? Or jesus? He was from the middle east, why does everyone assume he is white? I'm not trying to start a theistic debate here, I'm just saying, isn't it very strange that white has somehow become the default for "human" ?

Racism has not disappeared from the world. You can close your eyes and say your above it, but that won't make it go away. Please, please, open your eyes people.
NamaeX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I can see where this is going. Stephen Chow, why are you making Dragon Ball like one of your old Nonsense movies? WHY?!
silentjay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:
GATSU wrote:

This is a good point.

Considering the sheer number of Asian actors cast so far, it's not. Edison Chen is just a crappy actor, and I'm sure that the other producers were put off with Chow trying, once again, to cast his current girlfriend in another movie. Chow, despite being a comic genius, isn't exactly a paragon of virtue and is known for his casting couch.
Strephon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:

Also, Superman is an alien yes? So why is it assumed that he is white?

Because he's a fictional character who has always been depicted as looking that way. There's no "assumption" going on here, that's just the way the character was created. (And not everyone assumes Jesus was white, either.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2