• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't say the manga artists necessarily work harder - but I do indicate that they do care about their characters more... and my proof really is based on the quality of the final product.

"Manga is better because the artists care more which is proven by the fact that Manga is better."

They call that circular logic.

Quote:
Frankly, they don't have time to care... there is too much work to be done to cover everything needed... time is of the essence which is why a week by week series suffers more than an anime movie or OVA.

As far as what "proof" I have otherwise? Since "care" is an abstract idea, you can only attempt to come to a conclusion based on the finished product.

More circular logic. What basis do you have for saying that Manga artists don't suffer the exact same problems? Anything other than that it must be so because the Manga is better?

Quote:
My argument is more about derivative works, so movies and OVA's only hold so much relevance.

Maybe some are original works but I would still guess that the majority of Movies are derivative works.

Quote:
I've seen a large number of doujinshi - and often times, I've seen where the artistry was exceptional, but they lacked the storytelling ability... or really didn't understand the character. In fact, I can't recall a single doujinshi that I felt matched up to the original - my experience of doujinshi derived from original works places characters in non story situations, frequently imaginative, sometimes a good quality product...

But again, you assume that it is because it is a derivative work, not because they lack the story telling ability. If they had that ability they would probably be writing something original instead of some fanwank spinoff/sidestory doujinshi. It is not fair to try to compare a bunch of fanfiction to a professional adaptation.

Quote:
I'm also still saying that the original is better, and that the derivative product lacks the originals quality and pales in comparison to it.

I'm also allowing that there are exceptions to this, but they are "exceptions."

So if I'm allowing for these exceptions, which I have from the very beginning, why are you still arguing against this - unless you happen to think that the anime product is almost always better than the manga for different reasons than I stated? What is the point that you are trying to argue here?

I am saying the original is better because it is more focused and consistent, is less time pressued (because I will state that 15 pages of manga is less work than animating a half hour episode), and fewer hands are "spoiling the broth."

I bolded the points I disagree on. No I don't think anime is better the majority of the time. I think it is better about the same amount as the manga and the majority of the time they are about the same. By no means though is it some exception when the Manga isn't better.

I disagree that time constraints hurt anime any more than they do manga. Sure there is more to do but there is also a ton of people to do all the little things. When you put it in a per person comparison it wouldn't suprise me at all if the manga artist has more to do. Also, while more people can "spoil the broth" more people also provide alternate perspectives. Moreover, you're comparing an original story to an adaptation. When you already have a story there is much less danger of "spoiling the broth".
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
dōjinshi seem amaturish because they are made by amaturs who have neither the artistic skill nor the story telling ability of actual manga artists.

Incorrect. Many commercial manga artists and illustrators continue selling dōjinshi, as those materials are not restricted by the publishing companies and can be very experimental.

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
How often a writer goes back to change their work is irrelevant. Most of the time, author's don't have that option, after all (how do you change something that's already been published?).

Very, very often. Many things can be changed and/or touched up from serialized version to tankōbon, as well as from tankōbon to perfect/collector's/wide edition. JIN Yong (金庸), the most famous emprise/wusha novelist in the Chinese world, rewrites many of his earlier works, giving alternative plots and endings.

While I'm not taking sides in the debate between you two and Godaistudios, I suggest you two should really learn more about the production of commercial manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
dōjinshi seem amaturish because they are made by amaturs who have neither the artistic skill nor the story telling ability of actual manga artists.

Incorrect. Many commercial manga artists and illustrators continue selling dōjinshi, as those materials are not restricted by the publishing companies and can be very experimental.

Sorry, dōjinshi was the wrong word to use. Godaistudios mentioned how "dōjinshi" that are spinoffs/sidestories/etc. by someone other than the actual author of the original material always seem amaturish. I'm not sure if there is a proper term for that but that is what I was referring to.

Quote:
While I'm not taking sides in the debate between you two and Godaistudios, I suggest you two should really learn more about the production of commercial manga.

You two meaning Ai no Kareshi and me? By all means if there is something you think I am incorrect on let me know. If you're going to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about though I think you should elaborate on what you are referring to. I am open to being corrected especially by someone like you who clearly knows a lot. However I dislike being told I need to learn more about manga without you really explaining yourself.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
By all means if there is something you think I am incorrect on let me know.

I already did.

ikillchicken wrote:
I am open to being corrected especially by someone like you who clearly knows a lot. However I dislike being told I need to learn more about manga without you really explaining yourself.

I earned my knowledge by investing time and money, not by telling others "I don't like the way you talk, now teach me in a way that doesn't tick me off."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
I didn't say the manga artists necessarily work harder - but I do indicate that they do care about their characters more... and my proof really is based on the quality of the final product.

"Manga is better because the artists care more which is proven by the fact that Manga is better."

They call that circular logic.
No, now you definetly strawmaning. If I were to rewrite your statement where my point of view is actually stated, it would go something like this:

"Manga is better because the artists care more which is proven by the quality of the finished product.

Now, since quality might be considered a subjective word, I'll reiterate what I said previously:

The "quality" I'm talking about, which are all observable and demonstratable are things such as consistent storytelling, pacing and characterization.

And these are in the manga why?
1) The author, as the original creator, has a better grasp on the world being created.
2) Fewer influences, such as found on a production team (or committee) from anime studio with all different voices saying "No, it should be this way"
Quote:

Quote:
Frankly, they don't have time to care... there is too much work to be done to cover everything needed... time is of the essence which is why a week by week series suffers more than an anime movie or OVA.

As far as what "proof" I have otherwise? Since "care" is an abstract idea, you can only attempt to come to a conclusion based on the finished product.

More circular logic. What basis do you have for saying that Manga artists don't suffer the exact same problems? Anything other than that it must be so because the Manga is better?
Please... I didn't use circular reasoning, and you fail to address what I've specifically stated. Tell you what - you go work in film for a little while - do work as a grip - see how much time you actually have where you run into things where they have to be "good enough."

I imagine working in a studio like this isn't much different. And I'd say that examples of visual gaffs that are caught (and fixed on DVD release later) is very much the reason behind this - You want to compare a couple of things? Look at the televised vs DVD release of Moon Phase - and it's obvious. "Good enough" exists there.

There is far more time pressure in a weekly anime series - so they can make the advertisers happy - I can assure you that timelines are heavier in televised production than they are in the anime world.

I've seen manga productions like "Shounen Jump" specifically state, "No xxxx this week, the manga author is currently xxxx" And they may insert a different manga in the place of it. And the readers are usually fine with it, from what I have seen. You see, the manga is published in anthology style books (which are quite large) and brought out weekly. There are quite a few series in them.

However, you can't get away with that in the televised world. Why? Because a series like Naruto is expected to be watched at a set time - unlike reading the manga at a set time. There is an expectation by the audience, and the television advertisers who are set to have their ads aired along with that show.

This is why there is a bigger time crunch with the anime than the manga. Again, what I just stated isn't simply a matter of opinion, but simple facts that you fail to see.
Quote:

Quote:
My argument is more about derivative works, so movies and OVA's only hold so much relevance.

Maybe some are original works but I would still guess that the majority of Movies are derivative works.
Another advantage that movies and OVA's also deal with less is they probably still have more time to work on them, allowing for a higher quality product - and I'm sure you and I will both agree that OVA's and movies are typically better quality (in part to a bigger budget) than a weekly anime series.

Even then, with all the money and time, see my first point regarding storytelling, characterization, pacing.
Quote:

Quote:
I've seen a large number of doujinshi - and often times, I've seen where the artistry was exceptional, but they lacked the storytelling ability... or really didn't understand the character. In fact, I can't recall a single doujinshi that I felt matched up to the original - my experience of doujinshi derived from original works places characters in non story situations, frequently imaginative, sometimes a good quality product...

But again, you assume that it is because it is a derivative work, not because they lack the story telling ability. If they had that ability they would probably be writing something original instead of some fanwank spinoff/sidestory doujinshi. It is not fair to try to compare a bunch of fanfiction to a professional adaptation.
Are you aware that there are a number of professional manga authors out there who do actually do a doujin derivative work on occasion? It's not common, but I've seen it done - moreover with the original author's blessing - and when the orginal author comments on it, it's usually because it was used in a very comedic manner. You see - the readers can see the humor, but if they were asked which one was better, what do you think they would say?

Even so, with all that other doujin (referring again to the derivative type) out there - the ones not done by professionals, are they or are they not derivative works?

So since doujin do sell quite well in Japan - one only needs to look at events like Comiket and other stores that sell 'em (yes the non-professional works), to be aware of this, they must be included.

Now, since I have said that many of those doujin works are quite good on occasion, where is the problem? I don't think they are as good as the original for the reasons I've stated previously, in fact with so many of them out there, it only serves to validate my point.

The original is almost always better.
Quote:

Quote:
I'm also still saying that the original is better, and that the derivative product lacks the originals quality and pales in comparison to it.

I'm also allowing that there are exceptions to this, but they are "exceptions."

So if I'm allowing for these exceptions, which I have from the very beginning, why are you still arguing against this - unless you happen to think that the anime product is almost always better than the manga for different reasons than I stated? What is the point that you are trying to argue here?

I am saying the original is better because it is more focused and consistent, is less time pressued (because I will state that 15 pages of manga is less work than animating a half hour episode), and fewer hands are "spoiling the broth."

I bolded the points I disagree on. No I don't think anime is better the majority of the time. I think it is better about the same amount as the manga and the majority of the time they are about the same. By no means though is it some exception when the Manga isn't better.

I disagree that time constraints hurt anime any more than they do manga. Sure there is more to do but there is also a ton of people to do all the little things. When you put it in a per person comparison it wouldn't suprise me at all if the manga artist has more to do. Also, while more people can "spoil the broth" more people also provide alternate perspectives. Moreover, you're comparing an original story to an adaptation. When you already have a story there is much less danger of "spoiling the broth".

I addressed the time issue previously

So let's talk about the "spoiling the broth" concept here for just a second and what it means in this case.

Without going down to the etymology of the phrase, let's consider this for a moment.

If the "broth" is the basic recipe (the original manga), and the cooks are the "art director","storyboarder", "sound director" "character designer", "head writer", and on and on... all eventually leading to the main director who again can make changes as he sees fit, the final product is no longer the same, and no longer consistent with the original idea. They all have ideas of what the anime "should" be - because they all interpret it differently.

In my opinion, typically, the storytelling aspect, more than any other of what I've mentioned previously is what suffers the most.

I've watched enough anime where I've seen it go off and do its own thing - and seen things that just made me scratch my head and wonder why... then gone and read the manga after and in comparing the two, the flow of the story works better and makes sense. (this is where we have an observable quality again - which is why there are classes in colleges and universities on this kind of thing)

I'd argue that you can't "spoil the broth" as easily when you are doing an original production because there is no other "recipe" to compare it to.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
hentai4me wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

A great big list of anime

Perfect.

This is; unless anyone else has something to counter it; pretty good proof that bandai does have a preference for sci fi titles.

Well, it ignores the fact that the real correspondence is that Bandai Entertainment is actually likely to license shows associated with another business unit of Namco Bandai (i.e. produced or distributed by Bandai Visual, made by Sunrise or shown on the Bandai Channel in Japan - @ 80% of their catalog I think). If Sunrise makes a mecha or space show then yes, Bandai may be very likely to pick it up here, but not enough more likely than any other company to assume anything before it happens (unless it is a Gundam show, in which case you can happily assume away). Conversely, the fact that Sunrise makes Gintama doesn't imply much about chances of Bandai Entertainment licensing it, but it doesn't say much about anyone else wanting it either.

The categorizations are also overly inclusive to accurately establish much. A tremendous percentage of anime has some sci-fi, futuristic or fantastic elements. For any of the major players who haven't indicated they are avoiding the genre, proving that they like to license sci-fi anime isn't going to be particularly difficult.

Which is why I said in absence of further proof, and if you'd gone with the rest of my post I point out that this list is only the tip of the iceberg, you'd need to look at other companies, dates to follow trends, company relationships and so on.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
i would not make a good anime director. i would simply scream "STOP OVER-ACTING ALL YOUR ******* LINES!" over and over to the dub actors/actresses.

and i'd also be smacking the daylights out of them every time they added a pointless inflection to their line.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
i would not make a good anime director. i would simply scream "STOP OVER-ACTING ALL YOUR ******* LINES!" over and over to the dub actors/actresses.

and i'd also be smacking the daylights out of them every time they added a pointless inflection to their line.
But if the dub actors stopped "overacting," then people would say "dub actors don't have any energy, they never put any action into anything." Besides, I think the question refers to directing on the Japanese side in actually creating anime, not English ADR directing. At least that's what I assume the question meant, since it's bundled with "writing anime."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
loka wrote:

But if the dub actors stopped "overacting," then people would say "dub actors don't have any energy, they never put any action into anything." Besides, I think the question refers to directing on the Japanese side in actually creating anime, not English ADR directing. At least that's what I assume the question meant, since it's bundled with "writing anime."

It never ceases to amaze me how many anime fans are experienced and knowledgeable experts when it comes to performance.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
"Manga is better because the artists care more which is proven by the quality of the finished product.

Now, since quality might be considered a subjective word, I'll reiterate what I said previously:

The "quality" I'm talking about, which are all observable and demonstratable are things such as consistent storytelling, pacing and characterization.

You think these are better in the Manga. That is exactly what is up for debate here though.

Quote:
Tell you what - you go work in film for a little while - do work as a grip - see how much time you actually have where you run into things where they have to be "good enough."

I imagine working in a studio like this isn't much different. And I'd say that examples of visual gaffs that are caught (and fixed on DVD release later) is very much the reason behind this - You want to compare a couple of things? Look at the televised vs DVD release of Moon Phase - and it's obvious. "Good enough" exists there.

I don't deny any of this but what you had yet to address was why you think this doesn't apply just as much to Manga. I see how that you somewhat have though.

Quote:
This is why there is a bigger time crunch with the anime than the manga. Again, what I just stated isn't simply a matter of opinion, but simple facts that you fail to see.

There may be a factual answer to this question but that doesn't mean it must be the answer you claim it is. Again, I don't deny that there are major time constraints with anime. However you seem to paint the picture almost as if Manga artists are doing this in their spare time or something. It's not like they just work to their own schedule. Do they not also still have to deal with tight deadlines which result in often doing things "good enough"?

Quote:
Another advantage that movies and OVA's also deal with less is they probably still have more time to work on them, allowing for a higher quality product - and I'm sure you and I will both agree that OVA's and movies are typically better quality (in part to a bigger budget) than a weekly anime series.

Even then, with all the money and time, see my first point regarding storytelling, characterization, pacing.

So even when there aren't major time constraints it still is better?

If so the entire issue of time is irrelevant. It comes down to whether the Manga is better just because the artists "care more" and that then somehow results in a better final product.

I disagree with you on that and I don't really feel that you have offered any actual proof or reasoning to explain it. I guess unless you have something else to add we will have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
I'd argue that you can't "spoil the broth" as easily when you are doing an original production because there is no other "recipe" to compare it to.

I would say it was the opposite. If you already have a story you're basing it on, there is far, far less extrapolation and thus less difference. Regardless, I just think you're overstating the impact of this.

dormcat:

Sorry, is there some kind of problem with my asking you to actually explain yourself if you're going to make rather broad statements claiming I don't know what I'm talking about?

If the only thing you were refering to was the one thing you mentioned, okay. However your comment really sounded more general and I don't see anything wrong with asking you to explain yourself.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:

You think these are better in the Manga. That is exactly what is up for debate here though.
It's less a matter of think... as I clearly stated, consistent storytelling, pacing and characterization and you chose not to quote the reasons why I stated these things.

As I said, these things are objective and demonstratable qualities - and are even taught in classes at colleges and universities.

I stated that the artist has a better view of the world and doesn't have to deal with a commitee of people all having different interpretations of what it ought to be like. This is why, demonstratively, I can definitively argue that manga will have the consistent storytelling, pacing, and characterization that the anime product usually fails to live up to.

So, if we are using critical thinking here and are talking about an objective quality, it's no longer a matter of my own opinion and what I merely happen to think, is it?
Quote:

Quote:
Tell you what - you go work in film for a little while - do work as a grip - see how much time you actually have where you run into things where they have to be "good enough."

I don't deny any of this but what you had yet to address was why you think this doesn't apply just as much to Manga. I see how that you somewhat have though.

Quote:

There may be a factual answer to this question but that doesn't mean it must be the answer you claim it is. Again, I don't deny that there are major time constraints with anime. However you seem to paint the picture almost as if Manga artists are doing this in their spare time or something. It's not like they just work to their own schedule. Do they not also still have to deal with tight deadlines which result in often doing things "good enough"?
I don't deny that they don't have the time, and you are strawmaning yet again, since I didn't paint that picture - address my points if you have a problem with my point of view.

I gave you objective facts behind the time crunch - very valid ones that can be demonstrated. If you feel I'm wrong, you are welcome to provide a different factual explanation, but I'm simply stating from real world examples how things currently work when it comes to how the networks have to operate to stay in business. Advertising revenue is where the bulk of their money comes from, so they are in a tighter time crunch than what is needed from the manga author.
Quote:

Quote:

So even when there aren't major time constraints it still is better?

If so the entire issue of time is irrelevant. It comes down to whether the Manga is better just because the artists "care more" and that then somehow results in a better final product.

I disagree with you on that and I don't really feel that you have offered any actual proof or reasoning to explain it. I guess unless you have something else to add we will have to agree to disagree.
It's not irrelevant, but it (time) holds a different weight on how good the quality of the anime itself comes out.

My point is that since "care more" is an abstract idea, which I stated previously (and I'm sure you certainly have come to understand that there simply isn't a good way to deal with this without going into some philisophical dissertation on that), I stated that it comes out in the quality of the end product. (and you didn't disagree with me on that point when I suggested this point of view.)

Again, I'm positioning that all the different cooks as I mentioned in my previous post (need I quote them all?) all have different interpretations on how they think the anime "should" be and that leads to inconsistencies in the storytelling, characterization and pacing of final anime production.

Again, these are all objective things - so if they are all objective, thus able to be demonstratively compared to the original manga, how am I wrong? Please, answer this point, since it's pivotal to your whole position that the anime is equal or exceeding the orginal manga most of the time. Because if I can consistently demonstrate my position in an objective manner, your agument cannot stand.
Quote:

Quote:

I would say it was the opposite. If you already have a story you're basing it on, there is far, far less extrapolation and thus less difference. Regardless, I just think you're overstating the impact of this.

My disagreement is because you have nothing to compare and contrast the orginal production to. It stands alone, so you have no basis to know of any difference. This means, to the viewer, that "recipe" is the only "recipe" they can know. Now one can critically think on what they are watching when it is an original production, but since it's not derivative, the views they have on it must come from an entirely different experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
Okay well, this is going nowhere. I recognise the points you are making but we simply disagree on their impact. Therefore, The bottom line it pretty much comes down to is that you are claiming that we can look at it objectively and see that Manga is superior in consistent storytelling, pacing, and characterization. I think it is pretty obvious though that if it was so easy to definitively determine such things we wouldn't be having this discussion. So thanks but I'm calling it quits now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9