• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
Manga has always seemed better to me in most cases, I thought the FMA anime was the best thing ever until I read the manga and saw how much more depth it went into the story, I guess because in the manga the author has full control on what they want to do rather than adapting something from another source. The Nausicaa manga is perfect example of that, definitely Miyazaki's fnest work.

No flake? No crazy rantings? weird. Very weird.
rekishi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
the best English/Japanese speaking kefuffle would have to be R.O.D. the TV...

as i understand... it's during school English class and the teacher asks the students to translate a Japanese phrase into English...

well, in the dub, they reverse it... the teacher gives an English phrase, that the student has to translate into Japanese... i think they handled it very well...

p.s. Zac... re:Sakura Wars: the movie; harsh dude... very harsh...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote
I think that sometimes you can speculate and accurately access what company will license a show, but not just because it "feels" like one. I don't really follow them, but from what I can tell 4Kids is a decently easy one to guess.

The only one I usually make statements about is Viz however, and that's only when I expect that they will pick up an anime or live action that is adapted from a manga that they have licensed, since they have been doing quite a lot of that recently.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
hey answerman...

you are tempting THEM...to come back...you know....

THEM....

They wrote the story for a whole new series (ripping off labirynth and fushigi yuugi) and they can write naruto episodes...

now can they direct? you know....
elsie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
For me, Black Lagoon is a show that I can only watch with the dub because the Engrish is so bad on the Japanese track, esp. given that of the four main characters, three are American.
sk1199

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
I would think one of the most obvious cases of an english speaking character would be Negi from Negima (either incarnation). I forget how they handle it on the Japanese soundtracks but I'm sure someone here will help out.
Another character is Bob from Tenjho Tenge. If I remember correctly they just never have him speaking english.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
I think Armitage III has some Engrish in it.

Ironically I collect anime and not manga, but I definately think manga is usually better, unless its an original story like Cowboy Bebop. I completely agree with Zac about Hellsing and Berserk, two of my absolute favorite manga. Khota Hirano and Kentaro Miura seem to be able to come up with the most insanely violent images just for the sake of being violent. Of course I wouldn't have it any other way. On a non anime note, I keep meaning to read Watchmen, but I keep getting distracted and forget to start it.

Gatsu: As much as I would love to see a Berserk live action movie, I don't know if they could do it well because the story is so big. But I would definitley want Zack Snyder to do it.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
I miss overlays. I could actually read all those pop-up windows in Nadesico.

Now, it's all kanji all the time.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
One case where I think the anime beats the manga is Azumanga Daioh. I have both, but for me there's so much more of a sense of fun in the anime. Maybe the director and VA's just had such a blast making it, that their enjoyment just shines through. Plus the manga, as best I can recall, doesn't have any more story in it than is in the anime (which is not usually the case).

I enjoy being able to pick up the manga and zip through it without spending 13 hours in front of the TV, though. Smile

In general I'm getting more into manga after being pretty much an anime fan--scanlations of Hikaru no Go back before it was licensed got me started, and then I got into Kare Kano because I wanted to follow the story past the horrible ending of the TV series. Currently doing the same with Fruits Basket, though IMHO they did a lot better job of ending the anime there.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
elsie wrote:
For me, Black Lagoon is a show that I can only watch with the dub because the Engrish is so bad on the Japanese track, esp. given that of the four main characters, three are American.

Really? I thought Revy was Chinese; with Rock being Japanese, that leaves only two Americans in the company: Dutch and Benny.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So while you still get the occasional "feels like" argument, it's just not as common as it used to be. And no, the people proclaiming that don't have some kind of special power that you don't, they're just speculating based on no information and have to back it up with something.

So I shouldn't expect all my yaoi to come (sub only) from MediaBlasters/Kitty? Some other hentai licenser is going to start? Or I should expect CPM to actually make a comeback? ADV will license actual yaoi someday & not just near/slashy stuff like Saiyuki?

Certain companies do seem to steer towards certain types of titles. Not always. I sort of expected Viz to land Ouran since they have the manga & they seem to land a lot of the anime to their manga, but not always. I sort of expect, if anyone bothers with Gintama, it will be Viz. Doesn't have to be, but I don't really see anyone else being interested. I was a bit surprised Funi landed Ouran since they didn't do well with Kodocha-yes, an older title, but they've mis-stepped before (eyes all of the Case Closed on shelf wondering if we'll ever see more, not that it really matters since it's basically a holding pattern. Wouldn't Conan be in High School by now & Ran in College? Doesn't Ran EVER go over old school photos to notice Conan really resembles her missing boyfriend?). They seem to have improved, though, on picking stuff. Don't we all expect the Gundam titles to come from Bandai? Not exclusively all Giant Robos-just about every company has them, but Bandai & ADV seem more fond of Giant Robos/mech. Didn't MediaBlasters swear off Giant Robos recently?

It also has to do with the dubbing. More than expecting XXX to license "hot fansubbed title this season", those who like dubs also play the "Who's going to play "Lulu"? in the dub?" If the person likes the Texas crew, they'll likely hope for Funi or ADV to land the title & be sorely disappointed if another company licenses it. This actually seems to be a more prevelent sentiment anymore--fans pissed off the title was licensed by Viz since they wanted to hear the Texans do the dub or disappointment with Funi landing it because the fan is stuck on DBZ, an old dub Funi has moved way past.

I always check when they speak English. Some of the VA's are pretty good (Sho Hayami isn't bad) & some are horrid (Scene in Gravitation where the American K's English is being mocked by the Japanese characters in the car & the VA's doing the imitation are actually better with English than Okiayu who seems to play a lot of roles requiring English. Japanese opinion of how American English is spoken? They think he's good at it?) It does seem they have a few stock American actors every once in awhile to do smaller roles-the names seem English & the lines aren't botched. Sort of like we have some foreigners who live here acting in our tv shows who can do an authentic British/whatever accent & not a Hollywood version. (Although the joke in my household is they grab tourists off the street. Wanna make a fast 1,000 yen? Say this line for us in English. Thank you)

I actually am impressed with the Japanese VA's willingness to try English. God knows how many fans kill Japanese on a daily basis.
leatherman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Another case of Engrish is in Speed Grapher. The inflections are just... grr. There's only a little bit of it in the beginning, but the last 3 or 4 episodes have a lot of it.

As far as manga over anime, I must say that I don't agree. I find that most manga artists have a hard time with scene transitions. Take Kami Kazi for instance. I've had to re-read that several times because it just jumps from one place to another without (visually) explaining that you are no longer in the former location. I don't find that with anime. Unless the art in the anime is absolute crap and the backgrounds are barely distinguishable, you can generally tell when you aren't in the same location as you once were.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that next week's flake of the week will be some guy ranting about how you used "comic" instead of "manga" Razz
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I would agree on the manga over anime, but their are exceptions. DNAngel for one, but that opinion could change if the Manga-ka ever finishes it. That was one of the few examples of a satisfying conclusion to a manga-based anime where the manga was not finished. Also, there was enough difference between the two that I can find enjoyment from both without thinking I am reading/viewing what I had already seen/read.
Meccanica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Concerning manga-
Rather than 'it allows you to use your imagination more', I'd say it allows you to set the pace, and (to an extent) imagine the transitions in a way that you think is sensible / appealing. When something is adapted from manga to anime, the timing and the movements are set in metaphorical stone, and you're relying on the director's sense of pace to make it flow comfortably.

Example: Gantz.

(I haven't read the manga, so maybe not the best example, but I wanted to complain about the anime anyway :p Please don't discount my argument just for that.)
Here is a show in the 26-episode range that is paced as if it were Shounen Narubleach Tournament Fight Z. The artwork ain't bad, the story and atmosphere are good, yet everything takes SO LONG. People in this show seem to take 5 minutes to complete a single chain of thought- while in mortal danger, no less- and they reach the same decisions over and over again. They stand still when they should be moving. They take over 30 seconds to aim and fire a gun at a 50-foot tall living statue which is killing their friends.
In other words, everything just screams 'adapted from a serialized manga', in which chapters would be understandably shorter, with paraphrased thoughts and conversations each time to recap, etc.. I get the feeling that the director felt that however long he spent looking at one panel in the manga was how long a comparable shot should last in the anime.

Whoo... now I'm all pumped up to launch into the topic of whether of not I could direct.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9