• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
elsie wrote:
TheVok wrote:
elsie wrote:
For me, Black Lagoon is a show that I can only watch with the dub because the Engrish is so bad on the Japanese track, esp. given that of the four main characters, three are American.

Really? I thought Revy was Chinese; with Rock being Japanese, that leaves only two Americans in the company: Dutch and Benny.

If I remember rightly, Revy is Chinese-American and grew up in New York.

"Revy is a Chinese-American born and raised in Chinatown, Manhattan near Mott Street, spending most of her youth as a thief and murderess."

Emerje

Ah, my mistake ... I've been watching the series on G4, dubbed, and I thought all they mentioned was she was Chinese.
rinjichan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, later in the series, Revy's actual first name is Rebecca. Which leads to the B-V conversion that doesn't really transfer over. Shouldn't her name then be Rebby/Reby?
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
rinjichan wrote:
If I remember correctly, later in the series, Revy's actual first name is Rebecca. Which leads to the B-V conversion that doesn't really transfer over. Shouldn't her name then be Rebby/Reby?

I don't think "Revy" is a direct shortening of Rebecca. It's like how Bill is commonly used in place of William or Chuck in place of Charles. I'm pretty sure Revy is commonly spelled in English even in Japan rather than being mistranslated. Even merchandise spell the name out in English only.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Raoh wrote:

Also, to Zac, when the Watchmen movie comes out, are you gonna change the title graphic to say "Who answers the Answerman?" Very Happy

You must've missed it when I did that a few months back.

Bah, it seems I forgot to add the word "again" to that sentence. I can see how it's misleading.

Apologies, for that.

GATSU:
Irregardless, Puck is still a major character of the manga. If the series had continued it would come into various instances where it had trouble making sense of it without introducing Puck.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Raoh: They could just reboot the beginning of the show and insert a new scene with him in it. No big deal.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I mean when a manga is adapted into an anime and you watch it you can't get as lost in your imagination as you can reading the manga. At least that's how it is for me. I grew up reading books and imagining everything in my mind. And even though mangas have pictures and illustrate the material it's still highly left up to the reader to imagine it all in his or her own mind.

Can't say I agree at all with this, as a lot of manga I've read either doesn't leave any more to the imagination than an anime series equivalent does, or else leaves too much to imagination - which an anime series can do, also. Besides, I find that actually being able to hear characters talk, and supporting the visuals and dialog with appropriate background music, adds so much more to the experience as long as it's done well. Anime adaptations of manga, if done right, can also correct or gloss over flaws in the original manga, especially in pacing issues; the early volumes of Fruits Basket and their anime equivalents are, based on my observations, a prime example of that.

Of course, there are some manga titles that just don't translate well into animation (and vice versa) because they are tailored too specifically to the format in which they are created. But that's hardly a problem limited to anime/manga conversions.

Key, it's well known on this forum that you prefer anime over manga and you have admit yourself that you haven't read as much manga.

Most fan that consume both manga and anime equally will usually say the manga of a certain series is better because of the pacing, it goes more indepth, and is truely the original idea of what the writer (magnaka) wanted to express. There's something unique about it that you can't get from watching an anime. This is very true in Japan when you ask any otaku, but here in the US, we have a lot more of those "I watch a lot of anime and only read some manga, thus anime is better so I can hear them talk and music and blah blah blah".

Kidder wrote:
I totally agree with Zac on the Nausicaa manga. Hands down the best manga I've read.

I also prefer manga in most cases. The pacing of the story tends to be a little faster and the mangaka can usually fully express themselves, their characters and the story without censorship.

This remind me of Slam Dunk, in which dramatic scene and facial expression are time perfectly when you turn the page or go onto the next panal. When viewing the anime, you lose a sense of anticipation and the humor/joke was not timed correctly.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Raoh: They could just reboot the beginning of the show and insert a new scene with him in it. No big deal.

Seeing as how there is never going to be a second season ( Sad ) it hardly matters, but Gatsu is right, it wouldn't be that hard to do. I mean look at Marvel Comics, they just had Spider-Man make a deal with Satan so that his marriage never happened. Everything else happened, he just wasn't married.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
If the anime is based on manga, then usually I prefer the manga (it's like how movies based on books are usually worse than the books). But if it's a straight comparison of the two mediums (is that the right word to use?), then I think anime has more potential for certain genres, such as drama and romance.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
Key wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I mean when a manga is adapted into an anime and you watch it you can't get as lost in your imagination as you can reading the manga. At least that's how it is for me. I grew up reading books and imagining everything in my mind. And even though mangas have pictures and illustrate the material it's still highly left up to the reader to imagine it all in his or her own mind.

Can't say I agree at all with this, as a lot of manga I've read either doesn't leave any more to the imagination than an anime series equivalent does, or else leaves too much to imagination - which an anime series can do, also. Besides, I find that actually being able to hear characters talk, and supporting the visuals and dialog with appropriate background music, adds so much more to the experience as long as it's done well. Anime adaptations of manga, if done right, can also correct or gloss over flaws in the original manga, especially in pacing issues; the early volumes of Fruits Basket and their anime equivalents are, based on my observations, a prime example of that.

Of course, there are some manga titles that just don't translate well into animation (and vice versa) because they are tailored too specifically to the format in which they are created. But that's hardly a problem limited to anime/manga conversions.

Key, it's well known on this forum that you prefer anime over manga and you have admit yourself that you haven't read as much manga.

Most fan that consume both manga and anime equally will usually say the manga of a certain series is better because of the pacing, it goes more indepth, and is truely the original idea of what the writer (magnaka) wanted to express. There's something unique about it that you can't get from watching an anime. This is very true in Japan when you ask any otaku, but here in the US, we have a lot more of those "I watch a lot of anime and only read some manga, thus anime is better so I can hear them talk and music and blah blah blah".

For starters you're making a lot of assumptions about people and their habits. So you might want to watch that. Second, I hope for your sake you're not throwing Theron into that "I watch anime.....blah blah blah" group. I guarantee you the man knows more about anime then most here and while he might prefer anime and not have read that much manga per se I would still not call him a slouch in the manga department. Not reading much manga and not knowing about it are 2 different things. I'm sure Theron has picked up his fair share of manga information just by helping here at ANN. Everyone has their preferences and you seem to be attacking his which is not very fair either. People are just as entitled to prefer anime over manga as those who prefer manga over anime.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
Its also worth adding that just putting blah blah blah after: thus anime is better so I can hear them talk and music, does not invalidate the point.

I don't know if I would say that those things make anime better overall but undoubtably they are a significant advantage that anime has over manga. It just makes it so much more imersive.

Perhaps the advantages the Manga has over Anime outweigh it, perhaps not. I think it is probably more personal preference than anything.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also that Sakura Wars movie sucks a lot. In fact that entire franchise has apparently sunk to the bottom of the ocean and I have to admit I'm a happier person for it.

*horrified gasp, followed by obligatory blind fan-boy rant, finishing with a comparison of Answerman to Hitler*

Actually, they're releasing a new OVA in Japan at the moment based on the 5th game methinks methinks. It's set in the US, so expect more classic crappy Engrish. Also, new DS game coming sooooon.
leatherman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Its also worth adding that just putting blah blah blah after: thus anime is better so I can hear them talk and music, does not invalidate the point.

I don't know if I would say that those things make anime better overall but undoubtably they are a significant advantage that anime has over manga. It just makes it so much more imersive.

Perhaps the advantages the Manga has over Anime outweigh it, perhaps not. I think it is probably more personal preference than anything.

I agree. I enjoy reading, I keep having to buy new bookshelves for my books, and if a movie is made from a book, I will generally prefer the book. What I've always had an issue with in comics is the text over pictures. I'll probably get flamed for this but reading comics and manga has always put me in the mindset of a child. I get the feeling of "Your too stupid to imagine it for yourself, so I'll just show you what's happening." I know that it's just a different way for the artist to describe what's happening, but that's just how I feel about it. The other thing that turns me off manga is the price. I have no issues spending $10-$12 on a book, but a manga at the same price just feels expensive. A book (depending on the quality of the writing) will take me up to a week to read. I can rip through an entire series of manga in one night.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:55 am Reply with quote
somebody freakin' license Kuni ga Moeru!!! the country is burning, I guess the otaku that we have are either a high target audience for harem/yaoi manga or just mindless fantasy adventure...
ahhh so much entertainment for the uneducated...

culture stopped being a commercial target ages ago.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Of course it is.

Based on the current economic situation on anime (more specifically, how its making less money), the option they would chose is to continue from where the last one left off, since it'd be alot cheaper than redoing all the animation.

They shouldn't have taken any characters out to begin with. I read that the author approved it, but still, it just feels wrong.

It makes the manga so much more superior than the anime, and thats quite depressing. I read the manga, then watched some of the anime hoping to see the scenes I loved in anime form, and alot of it just didn't happen.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote
Raoh: Sometimes, shows can't be 100% authentic, because of time and budget constraints. What matters is if they got the main plot points, which they did. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with them starting the anime from the beginning, since that's how it ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9