• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
I don't think GATSU means re-do the whole series. He didn't have any part in the vast majority of what was covered in the anime. The only part that he might have been in was the first episode and that seemed like it might have happened before Guts even meets Puck.

It would be very easy in the second season to start at the point right after that and basically cover everything just like in the manga.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
As far as the anime/manga thing goes. I have a sort of love hate relationship with it. I prefer anime as a visual medium since it's more direct and I'm able to connect easier. On the other hand broadcast standards and whatnot at times water down or get in the way of artistic vision. It may not even be major changes, sometimes just a lot of little changes make all the difference. Plus you also get certain expectations about how the characters voices should sound (and become dissappointed when the anime doesn't meet them.)

For instance, X. I read the manga first and fell in love with it. When I finally got my hands on the TV series, I thought it was good but was so dissappointed in how they executed it. It felt so ham-fisted compared to the manga because all of the small changes they made ended up ruining feeling of tragedy and horrific shock the manga had.

Another example were certain parts of bleach, which I also read the manga first. Certain scenes were changed or toned down gore-wise and it made me feel less engaged knowing what had actually been in the manga version. That said I did like some of the things I added, so I can't really say for sure that I overall liked the manga more.

As for Death note (only other anime I saw after I'd already read the manga), I actually really liked the anime better. Only complaint was the casting for Raito's english VA (again, brad swaile? not deep enough a voice.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ayakashi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
There's lots of English during the final episodes of Genshiken 2. The foreigner character spoke quietly fluently but Ohno...;p lawl. She sounds like a robot ^^;

One of the anime I feeled reined superior to its manga counter-part is Elfen Lied, although I hadn't went through the manga only plotline yet. The anime version is more to the point, while the manga introduces characters just for meaningless fanservice. =p
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of English characters in anime, one prime example of what not to do in the English dub comes from the Patlabor OVA.

In the OVA, the character of Kanuka Clancy is an American whose grandmother is Japanese. The example in question comes from the scene where she introduces herself to the Japanese characters in the show. In the Japanese dub, she speaks Japanese for the whole show; but when she introduces herself, the other characters are surprised to see an American speak fluent Japanese, and they start cheering. They say stuff like "woo hoo, Japanese." In the english dub on the other hand she introduces herself in English, and the other characters are saying "woo hoo, English." This makes absolutely no sense. They're in Japan and they're all speaking English; why are they cheering. All that had to be done was not dub the 2 sentences where she introduces herself and keep the original Japanese lines. Then the English VAs could have simply said, "woo hoo, Japanese" and everything would have made sense.

There are also quite a few minor non-japanese characters who show up in the TV show once in a while. There is a Russian general who speaks Russian on the Japanese dub. You even see Japanese subtitles; but they aren't on the subtitle data track, they are hardcoded (I don't know the correct term) onto the video itself. The thing is, what the general says sounds like the Russian equivalent of engrish. On the English dub, he simply speaks English in goofy voice.

Another foreign character is a German Politician on some sort of official visit. In the Japanese dub he speak English with a very obvious Japanese accent. His lines aren't long enough for engrish to creep in though. But oddly, he speaks Japanese on a few occasions. In the English dub, he just speaks English, but with a very bad generic European accent.

Also, for some reason, while making the English dub they decided to make some Japanese characters speak with southern US accents. Of note is a trucker who sounds like he's from Texas and a reporter who talks like a cowboy. I was half expecting him to scream "Yeeeeehaaawww!!!!"

P.S.: Despite the fact that this post makes it sound like I'm the biggest Patlabor geek out there; I just happened to be watching the DVDs this week. That's why it sounds like I know all this stuff by heart.

Last edited by ingram_pilot on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
Key, it's well known on this forum that you prefer anime over manga and you have admit yourself that you haven't read as much manga.

So that invalidates my opinion on the matter and more than it does the opinion of a person who's a manga elitist, then? (I am not specifically saying you are because I don't know you that well, so take this "in general.")

And you're making dangerous assumptions on the first point. There are certainly some cases where I like manga versions better. I just refuse to automatically accept that manga versions are inherently better than anime versions, as I can cite several cases where I have not seen that to be true.

Quote:
Most fan that consume both manga and anime equally will usually say the manga of a certain series is better because of the pacing, it goes more indepth, and is truely the original idea of what the writer (magnaka) wanted to express. There's something unique about it that you can't get from watching an anime. This is very true in Japan when you ask any otaku, but here in the US, we have a lot more of those "I watch a lot of anime and only read some manga, thus anime is better so I can hear them talk and music and blah blah blah".

Could you not also argue that animated versions can offer something unique that you can't get from reading the manga, even if the anime isn't the original work? Case in point: Mahoromatic. The anime series is a favorite, and I've also read the entire manga run. The manga may explain certain things a little better but does not even come remotely close to achieving the emotional intensity the anime series can sometimes attain.

Refusing to acknowledge that anime versions can't at least sometimes be better, deeper, or more effective than manga equivalents is exactly like refusing to acknowledge that an English dub can't improve on original Japanese performances - but I guess there are a lot of people around who believe that, too. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:

Irregardless

You mean 'regardless.'

'Irregardless' is its opposite.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I find the engrish beautifully amusing which is why I prefer subs to dubs especially in those situations. It's not like in the english dubs the 'foreigners' are from Japan and VAs have to speak Japanese, so you have to give the seiyuu credit for trying Anime hyper!

And the afforementioned Sailor Moon episode is a good example of how to handle it right. I still remember my favorite part where Usagi is all like "A romantic evening with Darien!...speaking French" Anime hyper!!! And the fumbly attempts to cover up the fact that she was drunk Anime hyper!

And Manga vs Anime...I like both. But sometimes the anime adds something to the manga, and sometimes the manga has something the anime is lacking. If I really like the series (and the anime is totally faithful plotwise) I'll watch and read aswell. Sometimes I just read the manga, and other times I just watch the anime. And often times I watch the anime, then read manga from where it leaves off to keep up to date with whats happening in the story when the anime is considerably behind (like naruto, ect)
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Manga vs. Anime:
1.I prefer anime just because I feel the animation in anime is superior to manga: Manga has only still images of black and white; anime is colourful and shows multiple frames of the character's movement.

2.There are cases where the anime is better than the original manga, and it may depend on who is directing the anime. For example, IMO, Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell is better than the manga visually and storywise.

EDIT: Also, I think that the Naruto manga is way better than the anime.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
Manga vs. Anime:
1.I prefer anime just because I feel the animation in anime is superior to manga

Good observation. Wink
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Although it is cool to see your favorite characters in motion, the storytelling in manga is almost always going to be better. Granted there are some exceptions (like "WHEN THE HELL IS TRIGUN GONNA CLIMAX?!?!?"), but in the long-run manga will always outshine the anime.

One that comes to mind is "Love Hina." I watched it before I read it, and just in the first volume of the manga I could already tell it was the better half (i.e. spoiler[when Shinobu said Keitaro's "chin-chin" was too small to see, so it didn't freak her out ]Laughing!). Even when it passed what the anime covered it was still really funny (spoiler[the Keitaro/Naru love hotel scenes were some of the most funniest moments in the series]).

Great Answerfan question, BTW. I hope I answered it correctly. What it asks is what I've wanted to do since high school Embarassed.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
That's still not "animation." And I wouldn't be so quick to say that anime has a high production value either, because I know it is a fairly long process to produce a page of manga. I'd definitely think that some manga are more expensive to make than some animations, though it definitely depends on the series.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ichiro3923"]
Veoryn87 wrote:
ichiro3923 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
ichiro3923 wrote:
Manga vs. Anime:
1.I prefer anime just because I feel the animation in anime is superior to manga

Good observation. Wink

Now when you say animation are you talking about the actual flow of characters and scenes or do you mean the art, as in ascetics, in general?

Overall, not just the character design. I'm not sure if this is true, but I guess that the production of animation in anime probably costs more than the manga.

That's because manga doesn't animate. There's no animation to it. Wink

What about the production and procedure to produce the images in manga?

EDIT: In terms of semantics and terminology, maybe the way I worded my sentences were incorrect and vague, but essentially, what I wanted to address is that compared to the still black and white images of manga, anime offers alot a more in visuals (ie. character movements, colour, etc.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Do you really need to again have so many quotes in one post? It's a real eyesore.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Although it is cool to see your favorite characters in motion, the storytelling in manga is almost always going to be better. Granted there are some exceptions (like "WHEN THE HELL IS TRIGUN GONNA CLIMAX?!?!?"), but in the long-run manga will always outshine the anime.

Do you really need me to cite some more examples on that? Fine, then.

1. The Le Chevalier d'Eon anime is infinitely superior to the trashy manga version.

2. The Eureka 7 anime greatly outshines the way-too-hurried approach of its manga version.

3. The Shakugan no Shana anime (at least the first season, anyway) is a distinctly richer and more rewarding experience than the manga.

4. The volumes of Fruits Basket that were animated tell that part of the story better and in a more emotionally involving fashion, even though they had to come up with their own ending. Granted, the manga goes on longer to tell more of the story, but let's compare equivalent parts here.

5. Oh! My Goddess has lost nothing going from manga to anime form, especially with the recent TV series. The same can be said for Hayate the Combat Butler, Karin, and the parts of Ai Yori Aoshi that got animated (well, okay, the latter lost a lot of its nudity, but that's it).

6. I defy someone to convince me that The Wallflower (at least based on the first few episodes) isn't much funnier and more entertaining, and at least as sincere, in its anime version as in its manga version.

And don't make me bring the crap that are the manga for Stellvia and Scrapped Princess into this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention the dreaded "Mai-Hime" manga; but that's maybe because a part of me wanted to forget it Anime cry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9