• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
TV series and movie???

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:52 am Reply with quote
I noticed Lupin III (movie) (which is actually one of the later movies that was mislabeled) and decided request the addition of Lupin III (TV), unfortinetly since this had been entered improperly, I wasn't able to request Lupin III (TV) the encyclopedia told me that their was already an entry for Lupin III (Movie) (even though I had typed into the text box Lupin III (TV))

I was wondering if this would have an effect on anime where both the series and the movie had the same name (like Galaxy Express 999), one couldn't request that both the movie version and the TV series be posted to the list.

I could see several problems arise from this and hopefully a solution will be found. (BTW I wrote this at about 3:00AM if anything dosen't make any sense I apologise).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:14 am Reply with quote
If you read carefully the instructions when submitting a new anime, you'll see how we deal with this. The best example is Patlabor, which has 3 series that all have pretty much the same name. So we differentiate them this way:
- The FIRST series: Patlabor
- The SECOND series: Patlabor TV
- The THIRD: Patlabor OAV 2
Which means they had to be entered this way:
- The FIRST series: "Patlabor (OAV)"
- The SECOND series: "Patlabor TV (TV)"
- The THIRD: "Patlabor OAV 2 (OAV)"
because the last part, in parentheses, is stripped away from the title only to serve as the type of the anime.

When you add the type of the anime in parentheses after the title, well that type isn't really part of the title. If you write "Patlabor (OAV)" and "Patlabor (TV)", in reality the titles for those 2 anime are exactly the same: "Patlabor"! We really wanted to have unique names for all anime, and that's why it's not possible to have the same name for series and a movie.

In a way this is tied with the green encyclopedia links you see in the articles: if we write "Patlabor" in an article, which series are we really talking about? Well in this case it would be the first series, because the other series are differentiated from the the first by having "TV" and "OAV 2" in their title.

So, to come back to your Lupin III case, only the VERY FIRST SERIES/MOVIE should have the name "Lupin III". So, assuming that the first Lupin III was a TV series, you would enter
- "Lupin III (TV)"
and a 2nd TV series (assuming there is one)
- "Lupin III TV 2 (TV)"
and I *think* all the movies have a title like
- "Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro (movie)"
- "Lupin III: The Secret of Twilight Gemini (movie)"
etc...

oh, and it's 3:30am as I'm writing this, so I apologize if I'm making little sense... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1