• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Science Website Calculates Price of Building Gundam

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Someone has too much time on their hands.

I hear the bipedal walking motion doesn't work at that scale either (something you learn from 20th Century Boys). I'll stick with that 800mil US destroyer, okay, thanks.
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That was very in-depth and specific. They must have sat down and really thought that through logically to come up with those design specs and costs. The kid in me would really like to see a fully functional Gundam in real life someday. And with that kind of thought put into it, and given how the science of robotics has grown and matured, and continues to grow, this could possibly be realized in the future. That was really cool.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
With Japan's obsession with gadgets and fighting robot anime, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if a real gundam was actually built.
Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if it was even funded by the government. I'm literally just waiting for one to be built. I do have to say I hope it's in my life time. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if it was even funded by the government. I'm literally just waiting for one to be built. I do have to say I hope it's in my life time. Laughing

I agree. I'm a big kid inside when it comes to anything mecha related. Voltron, Tranzor Z, Robotech/Macross..... I eat them up and want more. Very Happy
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
just $729,699,894.00 dolllars to go before i get my gundam kukukukukukukukukuku
rizuchan wrote:
With Japan's obsession with gadgets and fighting robot anime, it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if a real gundam was actually built.
I can't wait for the japanese government to build so I can "accidently" come across it and miraculously pilot it as I "borrow" it on a random trip to Japan.
Jarm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
$730 million and not even fully equipped to fly or fight? Not worth it!
In this age of precision guided weapons, that gundam would become a $730 million piece of junk.
CronoSage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... Just think of all the billionaires in the world with some money to blow. Now all one needs to do is convince them to build one, you know, because no one else has one, yet...? Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

I think I know how Bill Gates will be spending all that free time and money once he retires. He could actually build a few of these with pocket change.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leuconoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Jarm wrote:
$730 million and not even fully equipped to fly or fight? Not worth it!
In this age of precision guided weapons, that gundam would become a $730 million piece of junk.

Right. It's all about the accessories. If you can't accessorise it with the most dangerous weapons known to man, what's the point? It'd be like buying a supercar and keeping it in the garage.

I wish I had a Gundam in my garage. Or rather, since I'm in a flat, I should start by wishing for a garage and work up.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
hum it's not as expensive as i thought it would be .
Not that i could afford it in my life lol .
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so the next war Japan happens to be in will be fought with Gundams. Beautiful.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see the budget breakdown for Takahashi's mecha like Votoms, Blue Gender, Gasaraki or Flag. With the figures for the MS much lower than I expected I wonder how cheap an AT Scopedog would cost.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but who'll be the plucky youngster who accidentally stumbles on it and pilots it perfectly? I'm hoping I can fulfill the role but can be angsty enough?

On another note, I'm planning on putting the Mech in Mechanical engineering!
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
To put to perspective -- a single B-2 bomber costs about $2.1 billion.
jay saenz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Gundam is cool, but for practical purposes i would invest that money in a Tachikoma, a much more versatile robot, who multiple advantages in the battlegrounds and conflictive fields.

Gezz pay $730 billions for a gigant action figure... what a waste of money!!! If at least they include some weapons, it might be an interesting inversion for the military bodies. Anyway, how can we think about spending $730 billion on a freakin robot to kill more people, when millions are dying for hunger, illness or wars.

I read once that if the world invest all the military budgets on health, enviroment, education, housing and the all the basic needs of mankind, every social issue will be solved in less than 10 years.

Off course, save mankind is not as exciting as kick butts with a giant robot!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3