• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spice and Wolf (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
finally got to see it, i like this anime alot........not really alot of fanservice but Horo is going to be an entertaining character to watch. also the Ending song for some reason i like it, maybe because of the lyrics or how its made. cant wait for episode 2.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Quote:
Granted, but usually in shows that are already uber violent or based on fanservice and eyecandy and not for around 25% of the episode. Spice and Wolf doesn't appear to be either. For now it seems like the series will be a casually paced light story that over here would be marketed towards fans of similar shows which don't feature nudity. It could be a hangup.

Eh, that shouldn't be a problem. Most fans who are "mature" enough to like those high fantasy shows ought to also be mature enough to take a little tasteful nudity. Exceptions taken into account of course.

Sure, if this thread is anything to go by fans are mature enough to handle the nudity, but I'm still a bit hesitant to say that the companies that will be spending the money to licenses this show would see it that way as well. With so many other great shows still competing for those license dollars the nudity could hold it back.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
qtipbrit92

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
I saw the first episode a couple of days back, and I found it more entertaining than some of the other series' first episodes, namely H2O (But as it's a Romantic Harem anime, it shouldn't be moving as fast just yet, eh?)
Jun Fukuyama and Ami Koshimizu starring together (Yes, I believe Karen was a leading role in Kodo Giasu.) was also quite nice.
Though Horo's lack of nipples and the odd tagline "Merchant meats Spicy Wolf" were a bit unusual, and the fact that as of now, I have no idea at all what the future storyline will consist of, I will likely continue to watch this series.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a kind of cute series, nice art, but I don't know if there was anything to keep me coming back. It had no action elements to it, and yet was not really all that funny either, more "hehe" than "bwahaha". Based on the first ep alone I would just consider it "mildly entertaining", and there are plenty of other hows out there.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I thought it was a kind of cute series, nice art, but I don't know if there was anything to keep me coming back. It had no action elements to it, and yet was not really all that funny either, more "hehe" than "bwahaha". Based on the first ep alone I would just consider it "mildly entertaining", and there are plenty of other hows out there.

I'm not sure about that...

Now do note that I'm not one of those moonspeak-literate people who read all the source materials in the world beforehand, but if the genre is anything to go by there is a possibility for a lot of action in the show. It's fantasy after all. It's Medieval fantasy in fact (or close enough, Renaissance). Those tend to have their share of scrapings and escapades almost by default.

And I suppose it's not to everyone's tastes but sometimes a laid-back relaxed tone is entertainment in itself.

And finally, it's probably the best show of the new season for the moment after the second season of Zetsubou Sensei, which is in a class by itself.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:23 am Reply with quote
Heard enough talk about this one that I finally decided to break down and check it out myself. Based on the first episode alone, I may watch this one out.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it, as I hadn't expected much. I, too, was intrigued by the "god that's no longer needed seeking new opportunities" angle and how they seem to be approaching it; it's like the diametric opposite case to Princess Mononoke's Moro. I will be very curious to see where the series goes with this, as the first episode and the advertising blurbs give the impression that this could be a medieval slice-of-life series. The first episode certainly set up some points for potential future conflict, and did have its light-hearted side, but I'd be perfectly happy if this one went down neither conventional action nor typical romantic comedy roads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode.The atmosphere and music absorbed me right away,the music sounds like,Days of the New.I am a sucker,for medieval surroundings.I also like the,Toshiyuki Kubooka,style clothing.It's the furry clothes,that caught my attention.

spoiler[Chloe knocking on the window,and coming through, with the wolf mask, got me.(headphones up to loud,enjoying the background noise)I also liked that Horo can show,Lawrence,her Kami form by either a little blood,or wheat.(Blood,take the blood!I know,it's not that kind of anime.Not that I can tell so far.)]

It looks like Horo,is going to be trouble.Fun,plot inducing trouble.The engrish,ending was a treat for me.This is a clean,cut,anime.I look foward this series.and can't wait for episode two.It looks like I'll have to go check out the light novels,untill then.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It's the furry clothes,that caught my attention.

Don't worry, if this show doesn't sate your craving for god-like furries Wagaya no Oinarisama is coming out in the Spring directed by Yoshiaki Iwasaki who directed the first (no, not the 2nd absolutely horrible) season of Zero no Tsukaima. Cept the one in there is blonde, and has a bit of a twist compared to Horo, lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
...Wagaya no Oinarisama is coming out in the Spring...

I saw some production art for that series and thought the designs looked like a rip-off of Spice and Wolf. Then again, I don't really know anything about Wagaya no Oinari-sama, so I can't really claim that (and I like the art). Plus, there's a guy with ears, too. Wink
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Plus, there's a guy with ears, too. Wink

Hehe, you should look into that part a bit more, you might find a suprise. Wink

But if those two aren't enough for you sometime this year Kanokon is supposed to come out as well, which should probably be the most ecchi of the shows, because even though Horo is nude a lot it's not really ecchi since it seems natural that way for her since she seems so not like a real girl. Either way there should be plenty to sate your kemonomimi needs this coming year.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It's the furry clothes,that caught my attention.

Don't worry, if this show doesn't sate your craving for god-like furries Wagaya no Oinarisama is coming out in the Spring directed by Yoshiaki Iwasaki who directed the first (no, not the 2nd absolutely horrible) season of Zero no Tsukaima. Cept the one in there is blonde, and has a bit of a twist compared to Horo, lol!

lol.Furries,no thanks.I meant the,Lunar:the Silver Star,style clothes.Was the second season of,Zero no Tsukaima,horrible?I'll have to check those out.Thanks.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 2! Oh yeah, I'm enjoying this as well, and this episode provided some really nice interactions between Lawrence and Horo. This episode also showed how Horo can be really fun and playful. spoiler[And not to mention the ability to distinguish between a truth and a lie to a certain extent.] Did anyone have an urge to stroke Horo's tail fur? Embarassed

There were a few moments that were intriguing. spoiler[The two met up some guy who suggested some money-making scheme involving exchanging the old silver coins with the newer, higher-valued ones. This, in turn, will make him a profit. Horo determined that what the guy saying is a lie, but Lawrence accepted the deal anyways. He figured he'll earn a profit anyways if he discovers why the guy lied.] Another moment that was intruguing was near the end of the episode where spoiler[Lawrence and Horo had a conversation about being attacked by wolves which Horo casually said it could happen. This brought up some bad memories in Lawrence's part which led to an awkward silence throughout most of the trip.]

I have to say that Horo's popularity for some of the fans is starting to rise pretty exponentially so be aware of that! Wink
Ultenth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

lol.Furries,no thanks.I meant the,Lunar:the Silver Star,style clothes.Was the second season of,Zero no Tsukaima,horrible?I'll have to check those out.Thanks.

Yeah, Zero no Tsukaima season 2 was the worst piece of trash. Completely devoted to poorly executed fanservice with no plot whatsoever. 99% of second seasons usually get better rankings than their first season on ANN (a side-effect of people who hated the first season usually not even watching the 2nd) but that is one of the few shows that has a worse rating. There is a 3rd season coming out sometime this year, and who knows it might be decent, but unless you're that interested in poorly done fanservice for the love of god skip season 2.

And on Horo, yeah, I get the feeling she is going to be a huge player in Saimoe 2008, she's got the okami-mimi ears, cute tail, and great mischeivious but vulnerable personality, she'll probably get pretty far.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I love Horo. Her tail's so bushy. And she's so very crafty. Her conversations with Lawrence certainly are entertaining, and all the while she's making great facial expressions. Smile

If only the animation could match the gorgeous backgrounds. The wheat fields in the first episode, and now... Fall colors! That forest at the end, I mean. The atmosphere created a very relaxing paradise of colors. Makes their world feel realistic.

darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[And not to mention the ability to distinguish between a truth and a lie to a certain extent.]

I wonder how this will help or hinder in later episodes. It really is a neat talent of hers and it makes me even more interested in her character.

darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[Lawrence and Horo had a conversation about being attacked by wolves which Horo casually said it could happen. This brought up some bad memories in Lawrence's part which led to an awkward silence throughout most of the trip.]

That scene was one of my favorites of the episode. It must have been because of Horo's reaction to Lawrence...

And I can't get over the music! Nothing has changed in my opinion of the background music, which sounds absolutely fantastic. Love the haunting melody of the opening theme. ROCKY CHACK's ending song has grown on me, as well.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I have to say that Horo's popularity for some of the fans is starting to rise pretty exponentially so be aware of that! Wink

Skyrocketing, it is.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Skyrocketing, it is.

I think that it's mostly to her being the first ear-girl in a very long time with any sort of real personality, the girls from Utawarerumono were cute, but pretty bland character-wise really. She's got the whole wise and michevious but vulnerable and caged thing going on, but I'll bet besides the two anime I've mentioned we'll probably have an explosion of ear-girls in anime over the next year or so, at least that's my prediction for the next trend anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 35