• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wild Life TV Drama Cancelled After Giraffes' Deaths

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY War Horse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
feytaline wrote:
Animals have emotional health just like humans do, and anyone who has worked around them can vouch for that.

I can understand what you are saying, I am the daughter of a vet and so have a good idea about animals. I agree that animals do have emotional attachments especially when it comes to mother and child, such attachments are necessary for any breed of animal to prosper. And as i said above it is a great pity that they died, but the article does not mention exactly why they died, was it just the stress which arose from separation anxiety or was there something more complex going on? It is possibe that it could have been a range of different factors which we are not told about in the article, with the stress merely being a contributing factor. I do not know if the zoo will of had an autopsy carried out, but even if they did it is highly unlikely they would publish the findings.

feytaline wrote:
Treating them like unfeeling things that can just be separated and pushed around is ridiculous.

I agree that treating animals in this way is not good and it would be unlikely to happen where this the USA or UK. But we have to remember we are seeing the news through western eyes, i do not know the Japanese view the treatment of animals when making use of them in filming and it seems like their view is different from how we in the west would think. I hope that had the zoo and production company realised that separating them would have caused harm to the parent and child, that they would not have done so. Not knowing much about the giraffe i am uncertain how safe it is to remove a parent from a 3-4 month old calf, but it is clear from this article this caused a great deal of emotional stress.

As for the production company one can hope that the quote in the article is truely how they feel, that they are cancelling out of respect for the loss of life. But, regretfully, I am a sceptic and a cynic and feel that although there maybe an element of regret and sadness over what occurred I feel that they will also have cancelled the show for the less noble reasons of law suits and/or finance.

Finally i cannot comment about anyone else's posts in this thread because i am not them, but I have to say that the main thing i took from the article was what the company's and zoo's reaction was, i.e. the company cancelling the show and the zoo is hopefully going to take far more precautions in the future. Whenever a show is cancelled many people will often focus more on the actual cancelling of the show and the impact of that show not airing rather than focusing in on the tragic reasons why it was cancelled. I must also admit, that while i have had great attachment to animals i have got to know, i don't have the same attachment to animals I do not know, and so this may mean my response to such reports may at times seem rather cold hearted but when it comes to other people once again I must say that cannot comment on since i have "not walked in their shoes."
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
feytaline wrote:
It's really pathetic that there are people here that are more concerned about 'ZOMG THIS SERIES GOT CANCELLED!!!ONE1! A SHOW I'LL NEVER WATCH WILL NEVER BE SEEN!!!" than the fact that the article makes it CLEAR that the animals died over the stress of MAKING it.

Quote:
Omoriyama Zoo officials emphasized in a statement, "We do not know if there was a connection between the giraffes' deaths and the drama's filming, but we want to carefully handle any future coverage or filming."

And this is why I really loathe many Wildlife "Organizations." Can't get their facts straight....
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
At first, I was kind of like "Whaaaat? They CANCELLED THE SHOW FOR THAT?" But I read the article, and it seems like the right thing to do. It's true that unlike things like HiguKai or School Days, no feelings are getting hurt (regardless of whether giraffes have emotions or whatever, it's not like they understand they're being filmed), but this is a case in which ethics transcends people's feelings and emotions, and I think that's the best way.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This show definitely had to be cancelled. I am surprised it would still even be aired after what happened.

My appreciation goes out to those others in this thread who understood the seriousness of what happened and agreed with the outcome. To the others, I'm not criticizing you guys in any way, but irresponsible cruelty to animals, especially in a show that is supposed to appeal to animal lovers, is simply not acceptable in today's society.

I don't personally like giraffes myself, but that doesn't matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2