• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Milia as the commander in chief was as credible as Keira Knightley as the king of pirates... I am glad to see that commanding an army does not require any sort of experience and can be learned from books. It is so easy even a child can do it.

Apart from that, thanks to Sorush's come back I managed to exercise my eyeball muscles, but it was nice to see Vincent and Sophia, even for a short while.
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

Confused Well...trying to stay positive, I liked:

1. The kids at Kartofel making the Nazca lines style drawing of Fam, Gissey and Millia. That was just plain cute.

2. Fam admitting thatspoiler[ world peace isn't as simple as she thought.]

Unfortunately, there was just too much pulling the finale down. Were they trying to imply that Luscinia was spoiler[another Lelouch, sacrificing himself to bring the world together?] If that's what they were aiming for, they did a poor job showing it. What exactly did he want with the Grand Exile anyway? Was he trying tospoiler[get away, or just commit suicide?]

I was also disappointed byspoiler[the Grand Race. With all the buildup, why do we just get to see a few seconds of action? I'm not asking for a Norkia Cup style episode, but why not at least give us something equal to Fam and Gissey's underground race from early on?]

I've got mixed feelings about spoiler[the Claus/Lavie/Al reunion. We were definitely strung along with this, only to be rewarded with just a few seconds. I was glad to see it, but still it feels like a carrot they dangled for weeks and then only let us have a small bite. It makes for some nice screencaps, but that's about it.] Why not have spoiler[the leads from the two series interact a little bit, say maybe having Claus offer some advice/encouragement to Fam or Lavie and Gisselle chatting it up about being navigators for such great pilots?]Seems like a lot of wasted potential to me.

Still interested in seeing a dub but only on Funi's website or as a rental.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The third character in the drawing is actually spoiler[Dio, not Millia. You can see the goggles he wears around his neck all the time.]
dan7el

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Why is Claus in a wheelchair?] I don't remember anything about this from the original series.
themanwithanrx7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Has the series stalled? I have not seen any subs come out for it since the 10th of march.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
The invalid pension in Anatory-Disith must be pretty miserable if Lavie and Claus can't even afford new clothes for such an auspicious occasion. I'm also intrigued about his wheelchair. Raftina, help!

And, yeah, it needed more of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
About Claus:

In the original series, spoiler[there was nothing about him being crippled. He was perfectly healthy at the end.]

In the Hourglass manga, spoiler[he's having some trouble with a part of the Earth Guild. Nothing has happened so far, but the speculation is that he'll end up crippled because of the events there.]

I don't know if the supplemental materials say anything about it, but my observation is spoiler[that most people seem surprised to see him crippled in LE2, so I'm guessing no information in there. In other words, we'll have to keep tuned into the [i[Hourglass[/i] manga.]

themanwithanrx7 wrote:
Has the series stalled? I have not seen any subs come out for it since the 10th of march.

It hasn't. You can stream it from
Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/last-exile-fam-the-silver-wing
or
Funimation: http://www.funimation.com/lastexile-fam-the-silver-wing

With Hulu being a week behind Funimation.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
Were they trying to imply that Luscinia was spoiler[another Lelouch, sacrificing himself to bring the world together?] If that's what they were aiming for, they did a poor job showing it. What exactly did he want with the Grand Exile anyway?

I think the general plan was: spoiler[destroy everyone's war-making ability, get world peace by default.]

Quote:
I've got mixed feelings about spoiler[the Claus/Lavie/Al reunion. We were definitely strung along with this, only to be rewarded with just a few seconds.]
(Edit: Missed the end-spoiler tag, sorry!)

The SO and I both think spoiler[that exchange about Claus ever being able to fly again] was the teaser for the third series.

Overall series rating: So-so. I don't think it was ever actively bad (expect maybe for that moment with the maid costume), but I got really frustrated with the constant erratic changes in tone and direction, and would have dropped it after a few episodes if I hadn't been watching it with the SO, who is a much bigger fan of Last Exile than I am.

Last edited by Petrea Mitchell on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Well, I started watching this recently and definitely have to say that I've been enjoying it so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan7el

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
You can also watch it on NicoNico which is where I caught the 21st episode.

Someone mentioned a third series? I would love to see that if for no other reason than to see Claus and Lavi again.

I can't say this series was horrible, but it wasn't awesome either. There are so many things they could've done better, I think. I did not hate Fam.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm of a similar sentiment. It's nowhere near as good as the original, but it's not awful.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Pffffffffff.... The last episode was kind of like a baloon. You spend a certain amount of time blowing air into it, and then pufff, it is gone within seconds.

So they build up this whole thing with the Grand Exile, Luscinia was meditating over a cuppa for a few good episodes, and at the end, we don't really know what it was meant to be in first place (except for some vague- 'it was not meant to be a weapon' and 'it is something else'). I am a bit confused about what Luscinia's plan was as well. If it was to spoiler[go down with a big bang, he certainly succeeded, but I am pretty sure that disarming the countries could do without half of what he did to get there].

The so called "Grand Race" was shorter than expected- they spend more time on showing the first race back in the previous episodes. 22 episodes of building up, and then all we see is a stars and a few scenes from after it is finished.

Shame Sadri did not decide to spoiler[meet up with Fam- I found it a bit selfish, after all, he was her only living relative, and he certainly accomplished his mission anyway. ]I sort of othe 'my era is over', but it is not like he had nothing to live for any more.

Well, it was a good watch, but disappointing in many ways. I still liked it, but I wish they did a better job with the characters.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Overall this series wasn't nearly as good as it's predecessor, and was disappointing as a sequel. Still it wasn't bad or anything either.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
....Shocked
....Sad
....Mad

You all are being quite generous. Two recaps and that anticlimactic steamer of an ending?spoiler[ "We destroyed entire countries, massacred thousands, desecrated holy grounds, but meh. Take the princess/queen and we'll all go die in the corner because until this precise moment, it was our era...but not anymore. It's the last episode, so we're just going to pick this point to give up. Why? Because. That's not a good enough answer? Tough."] I wish Bowser had been such a push-over. Or Hitler. Or Napoleon. OR ANY REALLY AMBITIOUS, AT LEAST VAGUELY EVIL MAN WHO BRINGS ABOUT WORLD WAR. And what's with the sand portraits? Oh no, there's certainly ABSOLUTELY NO WIND ON A PLATEAU!!!!!!!!!!! Granted, that last bit is beside the point. TO the point however, how exactly does all this happen in a single episode? Why does Luscinia DO ANYTHING spoiler[IF HE KNOWS THE OUTCOME AND PLANS ON JUST HANDING AUGUSTA OVER IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!] COME ON!!!! I'm sorry, this is a giant, steaming pile of crap, especially in light of the original series. A large part of how I judge a series is the ending, and that's one of the reasons I'm giving this series a rating of "bad". I wish I had spent more time learning frumious language suitable for the most bellicose of polemics so that I may properly express my frustration with this series.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to disagree with anyone about how pointless that ending was, but I'm not sure the original Last Exile fared that much better on the "WTF was the bad guy thinking?" test.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15