• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I don't want to disagree with anyone about how pointless that ending was, but I'm not sure the original Last Exile fared that much better on the "WTF was the bad guy thinking?" test.

Granted, but at least the original had a legitimate Grand Race to make up for it, not this NES Mario Cart bullshit. spoiler[I mean the race when they won the ship earlier in the series (the purple one or whatever that gaudy thing was--you know, when Luscinia had all the foppish, demimonde-bourgeoisie cats executed for having their ships stolen) was better.]
dan7el

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons I kept watching this show was I was really hoping Claus and Lavi would show up. I kept thinking, "any episode now, they'll pull up in a van ship and help out. Wow. I can't wait."

Needless to say, the ending was a huge disappointment. Maybe the show's creators didn't want to regurgitate old hat, but we spent 20-something episodes getting to know these two in the first series, and I for one wanted to see more of them. I mean, we got some Dio and Al was there. Why not them?

The overall story arch didn't make a lot of sense. The worst part is seeing all those pilots dressed in warm sheep fur and leather while on the ground. They must've been extremely hot all the time, yet they never seemed bothered by it. I would have my flying leathers off and in some cool shorts and a tank top in no time. Yet, Fam and Giselle seemed perfectly content to wander around in them. Even Millia. Really, that was the most unrealistic thing in the show.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
My take on Luscinia is that his plans depended upon spoiler[the Grand Exile being fully operational. Of course, that only pushes the problem back one degree: plans shouldn't have a complete unknown at their core or, to put it another way, resolving the war with the Grand Exile's malfunction] is a writing cop-out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
My take on Luscinia is that his plans depended upon spoiler[the Grand Exile being fully operational. Of course, that only pushes the problem back one degree: plans shouldn't have a complete unknown at their core or, to put it another way, resolving the war with the Grand Exile's malfunction] is a writing cop-out.

From what I understood, the problem was not that it was not finished, but its purpose was not to become a weapon of mass destruction in first place. Luscinia either miscalculated why it was build, or was not all that bothered, since his main goal was to spoiler[die] anyway.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for bumping this but I finally got done watching the show.

Umm... what the heck was the point?! At some point Lusciana spoiler[realized his plan would fail and went though with it anyway, topping off his body count at, I dunno, millions?]

My other disappointment was that I thought there would be some more complex ulterior motive behind Liliana spoiler[joining Lusciana's cause, but the flashback apparently reveals that she just broke down under the burden of being an exile and subscribed to the worldview that killed an utter crapload of her people.] That really made me lose respect for her character.

Oh, and I could never really figure this out, but this show spoiler[takes place on a different planet from the first one right?]

Anyway, overall, neither season of Last Exile is really watchable for its overall plot. The first one kind of brought people in with its interesting art direction, top-notch animation quality, and unique focus on naval and aerial warfare. I just got excited for the second one for being a continuation of that, and was genuinely impressed with Fam's and especially Giselle's skills as pilots and engineers. It would've been nice to have less typical Shonen fluff and more hard naval tactics, but this is ultimately still a Shonen, so what are you gonna do.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I finally had time to start watching Exile II, Silver Wing, but i doubt I will finish it.

I am shocked at how poorly the original brilliant series was followed up ...i have no idea how the makers of the second season could go so wrong and mess up what was almost a sure fire hit if they had only made some basic decisions to honour the nature of the original.

They clearly did not understand that the first series rested upon solid and believable strong characters, the Captain, the Vice Captain/Empress, and mature enough and real enough main protagonists even tho they were kids they were strong and real...and the same went for Deal.

In the second series Fam is never ever even close to the same quality of character, she is over cute and under achieved. The same goes for many of the other main characters, and frankly I cannot think of a single strong and well designed character in the entire story, they are all parodies, and almost like overly anxious attempts to re create the original character types without any substance.

The overall story is boring beyond belief evil empire tries to take back their former glory, air ships here there and everywhere and without any possible sense of reality, itty bitty and i mean ridiculously small toy sized pirate ships manage to capture "skyfish" gigantors with ease every time...frankly it is a huge joke and a sad example of how wrong anime can get even with superb material..

The first series remains a masterpiece IMHO and a fine piece of work ..this was not the only follow up to go sadly awry, the third season of Genshiken was also a total flop with again the characters being re made into crude parodies of their originals and the series falls far far far below what it might have been. Well fortunately we still have good new series coming out but if you haven't seen the second series of Last Exile, don't bother.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
air ships here there and everywhere and without any possible sense of reality, itty bitty and i mean ridiculously small toy sized pirate ships manage to capture "skyfish" gigantors with ease every time...frankly it is a huge joke and a sad example of how wrong anime can get even with superb material..
I've never seen the series, but how is this not similar to Somali pirates in teeny-tiny Zodiacs capturing great big seaships?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15