• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iris Print Discusses State of Its Boys-Love Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
CitizenGeek wrote:
Boy's Love is definitely as popular as ever in the US - the BL imprints are always announcing new titles.

As a publisher I can confidently say that BL and Yaoi are doing well. If you don't like em, you don't have to buy em. There are thousands of fans who will.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Just to clarify something...

I am a straight guy, and while I don't like Yaoi, I am not interested in bashing the genre or in wishing ill will upon the women discussing this article or the woman running this ill-fated company.

I do not see this as a dying genre or a sign of bad things are any of that nonsense. Lots of women like yaoi, lots of guys like yuri... whatever, its just fun stuff to preoccupy ourselves for a while, nothing to get all offended or hard-nosed about. Lets try not to suck the fun out of it. Rolling Eyes

I found myself empathizing with the owner/operator of IRIS. I owned my own business for a while, and while I did not have to run around as much as she did to promote, I still found it exhausting after a while. Couple that with getting sick and you've got yourself some serious problems. Eventually, that's exactly what happened to me.

Ironically, I took a 9-5 job (well, more like 8-6, but whatever), and then lost that, too, due to the company closing. Confused I wish her the best of luck, and I hope she hasn't lost interest in something that obviously made her happy.

So, don't fall victim to the trolls looking for a rise out of you and start generalizing. Some of us manfolk out here are decent...

Not many, I know, but some. Laughing
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

CCSYueh wrote:
To make a comparison you MAYBE can wrap your little head around, Raijin comics. DR Master, Ice Kunion. Tried following Now!? I think theres been 3 publishers, or is it 4? Dark Edge? Pagans?

Hm, I actually follow several of the series you mentioned and just wanted to point out, it was ComicsOne as the original publisher of a lot of these titles and they did go under. However, Infinity Studios currently has the license to "Now!" and are only the second company to have it, to my knowledge. And they're doing just fine, aside from a printing company shift that has delayed most of their projects. And I can only assume that Dr. Master is also doing quite well as I've heard nothing about them having troubles and I have a growing collection of titles they are releasing.

Sorry
When it turns into MONTHS between releases, I begin to suspect problems. I've had the next volume of Category Freaks (4?)given the 12/12/12-probably-never-gonna-see-the-light-of-day by Rightstuf. I might have the same problem with Tsukihime or maybe it was a past volume. I did get Pagans issues cancelled on me.

But this is the issue with smaller press--they hit bumps in the road which affect their releases more than a similar problem with someone like Tokyo Pop. However, small press can give us titles the big guys overlook. I know people who love Drama Queen to death, but they hardly release stuff. It feels like a similar situation-small op-& way more skill at licensing than actually getting the titles into the hands of the buyers. THeir story is apparently printer issues, but it's A LOT of printer issues.

It just makes sense. If you're working with a staff of 10 or less, you have more impact from illness/job termination/acts of god than someone with 50 employees that can just call someone in to take the place of a missing worker. If you're in a smaller area (not New York, Chicago, etc), your option may be 3 or 5 printers in a 50 mile radius rather than a dozen to choose from. You may be enthusiastic & feel you can handle anything because you're good, but the reality is sometimes different
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
>snip>THeir story is apparently printer issues, but it's A LOT of printer issues.
>snip>
If you're in a smaller area (not New York, Chicago, etc), your option may be 3 or 5 printers in a 50 mile radius rather than a dozen to choose from. You may be enthusiastic & feel you can handle anything because you're good, but the reality is sometimes different

It's very difficult to find printers that will put out Yaoi stuff because some companies just won't work with adult material. There are only a handful out there that can handle professional runs of trade paperbacks AND will print adult material.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The only reason they are losing money is because they publish original (read - American) yaoi. If they imported titles, they would be on fire. I, and many other yaoi fans, have no interest in an American interpretation of BL, so we don't buy it. Sorry to the interested parties, but I for one have no feelings one way or the other over this eminent loss.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can understand people not liking yaoi, but to be so incredibly immature in saying yaoi isn't popular anymore just because some unknown publisher is struggling? Even if I disliked something, I wouldn't come in a thread and fame it and the people that like it, it's so disrespectful.

Oh no I am very mature here saying Yaoi should be stepped on and thrown in the trash, I enjoy bashing yaoi and as long as I live I will put my foot over this pseudo little genre that has young girls believing twisted and perverted stories and tainting my hobby like that, I love Hokuto no ken, worst, Grappler Baki, Garouden, and thanks to the "popularity" of the man on man action, we have all these publishers making money off these little perverted girls that only want to see two men weak, broken and sexually abused because real life (and most of the fantasy life also) it's not like that...two men acting like hurt women? gimme a break, you freaky girls can't handle the truth that men are not like that (and gay people also) so as soon as I see a Yaoi author suicide or a Yaoi company going down, I am going to make my happy dance and buying quality stuff on manga, I know you can say that you have the freedom to like it or not and I dont care, drug addicts also can have the choice to indulge on cocaine and Aids.
ghostknyght

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course. Since it's not about boobies or lesbians, the guys will hate it. Pretty much anything in the anime fandom that appeals to women's sexuality is flamed by people.

Obnoxious yaoi haters make me cringe. I give up arguing with them. They have no sense of rationality and aren't aware of their own double-standards and narrow-mindedness.

I don't know if my commenting on this is coming as late or not, but I myself have absolutely no love for yuri at all. But at the same time I can definitely appreciate the hard work and dedication that this lone woman has put into her work. I think that is what people who dislike the genre should do; don't focus on the content but what the article was actually about, a person struggling by herself doing a job (that was obviously good enough to get reported on here) that should be spread out amongst others

Kudos to her![/quote]
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
DazzleNeko wrote:
Of course. Since it's not about boobies or lesbians, the guys will hate it. Pretty much anything in the anime fandom that appeals to women's sexuality is flamed by people.

Obnoxious yaoi haters make me cringe. I give up arguing with them. They have no sense of rationality and aren't aware of their own double-standards and narrow-mindedness.

Obnoxious yaoi-hater-haters make me cringe. I also give up arguing with them. They have no sense of rationality either, and aren't aware of their own double-standards and narrow-mindedness.

</uncorroborated>

The internet is full of bigots and idiots. They exist on all sides of any debate (yes, even Fox News bashers include heaps of bigots and idiots), and it's ridiculous to assume that Your Side is always flawless. There's a pretty high chance that you're also a bigot and an idiot, just as there's an equal chance that I (and the rest of the Internet) am no different.

As for me, I'm a straight woman who dislikes yaoi, yuri, hentai, lolicon, shoutacon, eroguro, and almost anything currently published in ShoujoComic, all for the same reasons, regardless of what the gender of the person who's reading it is. If you're going to pull the "And I'm SO much more open-minded and logical and progressive and RIGHT than those who disagree with me!" card, at least get your baseless generalizations straight. At any rate, you're a bit off-- yaoi is bigger than yuri in the West. Horny girls reading boysmut is, for some reason, more acceptable than horny guys reading girlsmut, possibly because the latter seems far creepier to mainstreamers than the former.

For the record, I still think this woman has done something impressive, but given that it's OEL, I'm pretty sure it's never going to work. It wouldn't be much different if it wasn't yaoi.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Oh no I am very mature here saying Yaoi should be stepped on and thrown in the trash, I enjoy bashing yaoi and as long as I live I will put my foot over this pseudo little genre that has young girls believing twisted and perverted stories and tainting my hobby like that, I love Hokuto no ken, worst, Grappler Baki, Garouden, and thanks to the "popularity" of the man on man action, we have all these publishers making money off these little perverted girls that only want to see two men weak, broken and sexually abused because real life (and most of the fantasy life also) it's not like that...two men acting like hurt women? gimme a break, you freaky girls can't handle the truth that men are not like that (and gay people also) so as soon as I see a Yaoi author suicide or a Yaoi company going down, I am going to make my happy dance and buying quality stuff on manga, I know you can say that you have the freedom to like it or not and I don't care, drug addicts also can have the choice to indulge on cocaine and Aids.

Moderators, is that sort of thing acceptable to you? Troll or not, someone reveling in the death of Asami Toujou seems beyond the pale to me.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

As for me, I'm a straight woman who dislikes yaoi, yuri, hentai, lolicon, shoutacon, eroguro, and almost anything currently published in ShoujoComic, all for the same reasons, regardless of what the gender of the person who's reading it is. If you're going to pull the "And I'm SO much more open-minded and logical and progressive and RIGHT than those who disagree with me!" card, at least get your baseless generalizations straight. At any rate, you're a bit off-- yaoi is bigger than yuri in the West. Horny girls reading boysmut is, for some reason, more acceptable than horny guys reading girlsmut, possibly because the latter seems far creepier to mainstreamers than the former.

For the record, I still think this woman has done something impressive, but given that it's OEL, I'm pretty sure it's never going to work. It wouldn't be much different if it wasn't yaoi.

My problem with the OEL yaoi I've seen is it seems safely in the realm of fanart/fanfic. I'm sure there are some good stuff out there, but I haven't come across it, & there's so fricken much of the Japanese stiff being brought over (we're getting up to 10 or more volumes some months it seems), it makes more sense to put my bucks in that. If I found an OEL yaoi author I liked, I would buy their stuff. Tokyo Pop seems quite dedicated to their OEL line.

Yaoi is bigger, yes, but the anime/manga fandom here is heavily male & they seem to have issues with giving any shelf space to women (witness all the comments on this forum that it was shojo harem titles that brought down Geneon. If only they had totally shunned the shojo stuff, they'd still be around, it seems). I've heard guys at Comic-con be told, after asking about this or that title being brought over, that the female market is important to manga producers, yet the male posters here seem unwilling to accept women have any influence & complain not only about yaoi, but the amount of shojo they have to wade thru to get to their favorite titles. Stupid girls!

Reichan is very much exactly like the teenybopper yaoi fans s/he protests. Hopefully maturity will make this person ashamed to have ever said things like this. And if not, there's always karma.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
So I dont like it and I think it should be destroyed....

what maturity has to do with it?....

Is still a piece of Sh** and you girls gotta start getting a boyfriend/girlfriend instead on getting on empty paper dolls.
(same on hentai and the trash alike)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
So I don't like it and I think it should be destroyed....

Is still a piece of Sh** and you girls gotta start getting a boyfriend/girlfriend instead on getting on empty paper dolls.

Bitter? Insecure? Girlfriend spend more time on yaoi than you? Can't measure up to "empty paper dolls"?

I was married for 21 yrs until he died 7 yrs ago at which time I decided it was time to enjoy MYSELF without asking for approval from someone else before I do stuff. Not to mention actually being able to get my hands on the tv remote...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
So I don't like it and I think it should be destroyed....

You are breaking the established rules and have been removed from the community. Thank you Sunflower for the notice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2