• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urzu_7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I saw no FMP! novel threads, I thought I'd start one now.

I'm pretty happy now that Tokyopop is releasing the light novels in English. I bought the first one Fighting Boy Meets Girl and read it. I'll buy the second volume pretty soon. Even though I know I've read the manga and watched the anime, it was still cool to read where it all began.

So how do you guys feel about the novels and how it compares to the anime and manga?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
I haven't read it yet. I have it on my shelf, but it will stay there until I have every volume because I really don't have much faith that Tokyopop will actually finish it, because they have yet to finish any of their novel series and several have been canceled or are as good as canceled.

But I did glance through it and I don't like the bullet holes.
Izekeal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first two novels released by Tokyopop and I've enjoyed both. There's enough differences, both minor and otherwise, to keep the story interesting, even though I know the story from watching the anime. The afterwords are good too, the second one being my favourite of the two. A few of my friends are fans of the show but they refuse to read these books saying that there's no point as they already know what's going to happen and it wouldn't be interesting. I can see what they mean but I didn't really find that knowing the plot detracted from the overall reading experience.
urzu_7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
yea I think so too. Knowing what happens doesn't affect it that much.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
They are different enough to keep them interesting, as I think you get a lot more into the heads of the characters then either the manga or anime allow anyone to get... a nice set of novels so far leaving me really looking forawrd to the next one.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I finished reading the first two novels yesterday. I liked the first volume just as much as the anime version (it was good). Now, I didn't particularly care for the Behemoth arc in the anime, but I liked the novel version a lot more. I think this was because the novel really got inside the heads of the characters, particularly Tessa. I need to rewatch the anime sometime soon, but I'm guessing the anime didn't get a lot of those things across very well. And its hard to blame them to much as the nature of the medium makes it more difficult. In any case, I've enjoyed the first two quite a bit and I'm looking forward to more. I'm bitter over what happened with Scrapped Princess and I can only hope Tokyopop has worked things out and doesn't leave me hanging with FMP.
retty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
After rewatching the anime recently I decided to buy the novels. I only have the second one atm since the first is on it's way from the US (for some reason it was impossible to find over here). Just wondered how much is it like the anime? Does it begin in the same place, and are the bits from Fumoffu in the novels too?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The first two volumes follow the first two arcs of the anime pretty closely. The first volume covers up through spoiler[the plane hijacking incident and the first fight with Gauron] and its basically identical to what happens in the anime. The second volume covers the Behemoth storyline. I didn't care for that part of the anime but I really enjoyed the novel version, probably because the novels really let you get inside Kaname and Tessa's heads in ways the anime can't do so well. My memory of that storyline is vague, so I don't know quite how it compares to the anime, but I think the anime took a few more liberties with that one. At the very least, they removed a scene near the end that hints at elements that don't get brought up in the anime until Second Raid.

Sadly, it doesn't look like Tokyopop has plans for the side stories at this point in time. Perhaps if the main story volumes do well, they will release the side stories at some point.
yont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
isnt the light novel suppose to be way better i wonder if anyone translated this??
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about "way better" but the light novels are being released by Tokyopop. Of course, reading the thread would have told you that.
yont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
but tokyopop isnt even close to the japanese release of the novel..... I was asking more of the fan based translation of the novel maybe..
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
yont wrote:
but tokyopop isnt even close to the japanese release of the novel..... I was asking more of the fan based translation of the novel maybe..

I'm sure you can find fan translations for just about every lite novel out there, but we're not allowed to name any sites on this forum.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
Has Tokyopop removed anything from their release of the light novels? Viz likes to crop and toss out images, is Tokyopop afflicted with the same illness of the brain? Also, can someone give me an impression of the writing style itself? I'd like to know if it feels polished or craggy.
Gold_guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that with Tokyopop spitting in two and fireing aton of their empolyies and canceling alot of their stuff that Full metal panic is one of their titles to survive.

It was just about to get to the first part End of day by day by the end of the year and I was looking foward to reading material that goes beyond what the Second raid shows
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Has Tokyopop removed anything from their release of the light novels? Viz likes to crop and toss out images, is Tokyopop afflicted with the same illness of the brain? Also, can someone give me an impression of the writing style itself? I'd like to know if it feels polished or craggy.

There's not much to edit to begin with and I haven't heard of anything being removed. I think the writing is fine and I can be kind of picky with that. But you may be more so, so your mileage may vary.

Gold_guardian wrote:
I just hope that with Tokyopop spitting in two and fireing aton of their empolyies and canceling alot of their stuff that Full metal panic is one of their titles to survive.

It's impossible to know since they never solicited past volume 3 even before the downsizing fiasco. Frankly, I never expected them to finish it and if Trinity Blood gets canned (as it seems to), then I doubt FMP will survive. At this point, they seem to have canceled just about all of their other novels, except maybe Twelve Kingdoms and the .Hack novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2