• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Haruka TV Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
YIKES. 9 volumes for a 26 episode series? At least they lowered SRP for a change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
9 VOLUMES AT 29.99 SRP?! RIP OFF!
Crawly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
:sigh: Here we go again. Looks amusing in a Fushigi Yugi sort of way, but at that price it's a pass, especially since it would be a blind buy for me. At least fans of the series can get it without going completely broke if they know how to shop...
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
YIKES. 9 volumes for a 26 episode series? At least they lowered SRP for a change.

Yeah, I don't like that at all. We're basically looking at a 3/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/2 format. At least the DVDs will be released on a monthly basis, but the episode count (and to some degree, no English track) is going to turn off a lot of folks, even with the $29.99 MSRP. Even if I express interest in the series (and judging by the description on the press release, it does look mildly interesting), this is a rental at best for me.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
If the anime is as crappy as the manga, there is no freaking way I'm paying 29.99 for 9 volumes. That really is a total rip off. And I actually thought about checking out the anime to see if it would be any better. Guess not.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
YIKES. 9 volumes for a 26 episode series?
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
bci110 wrote:
Yeah, I don't like that at all.

My The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has 8 volumes for 14 episodes; that's less than two episodes per disc in average. While we usually pay US$10-20 for a disc, we earn much less than you Americans do (my current full time salary is less than my graduate student stipend in US that "officially" said I work 18 hours a week -- in reality I worked three times more). Get used to it, pal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Just because the pricing works somewhere else doesn't mean it's going to fly in the US. People don't buy based on other countries standards. They have signed a death warrant for the series before even releasing it.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked this news better if they had gotten La Corda instead. That show is much better than this IMHO. I may check this out though. I like the premise of the story (very FY esque) and the animation looks nice. I do not like the art of the manga at all and i usually skip in in Shojo Beat every month.

Don't people realize that almost nothing is sold at MSRP anymore? I'm sure the price per disc will be around $24 to $26 depending on the store. And possibly cheaper. I do not see why people get their panties in a bunch over this so often. Yes BV's prices tend to be on the high side but it seems to be working for them. It isn't like they are licensing popular things and charging a lot for them. They are catering to a certain crowd. And it looks as though they are trying a different market with Haruka and that is why they are going to charge less for it. It makes sense from a business standpoint anyway. I hope they do well with this release.
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Seif...I shake my fist at 7 volumes per season, so 9 volumes definitely gets 2 shaking fists and an "ugghh!" That number of eps per disc may be the standard elsewhere, but here in the U.S. we're not big fans of getting less for more.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Usually you get the new anime DVD releases including shipping on-line for around $20. But 9 DVDs for a 26 episode series is a bit excessive. I've seen this series and it's OK, but it's not worth $180. Just wait a while until they put it all out in one box and you'll probably pick it up for $50-60. It's no wonder that anime industry is going down hill here in the USA when companies stick it to the consumer like this.

Last edited by megumi's guy on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
This is ridiculous. Since they've usually released older, more obscure/niche OVAs and movies, I at least understood them releasing them for a higher price... but a TV series... there's this little thing called "competition." I wonder if they understand this. It's not like this would really be that niche of a title anyways... it would possibly catch the eye of a browsing fangirl or fantasy fan and they might want to give it a try. Umm... not at 3 eps for $30, they won't.

Like someone else mentioned, this probably won't have a dub, either. I think fans these days probably begrudgingly drop $30 for 4 episodes (and even then, I know I usually look for shows that release that way for cheaper or wait for a box set) so 3 episodes probably won't go over that well. This probably would've worked about 5 or 6 years ago, but not anymore. Good luck, BV USA. You're going to need it.

Last edited by the_windcaster on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grico

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I think they did the right marketing thing to price this at 29.99 so that it looks at least like the same price as other companies anime dvds. For browsers at least the normal price may make them more likely to just pick it up, not really looking at the episode count. To be fair, it is a price decrease from Gunbuster 2 ($20 per episode) to this series ($10 per episode for most discs.)
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
slickwataris wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
bci110 wrote:

My The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has 8 volumes for 14 episodes; that's less than two episodes per disc in average. While we usually pay US$10-20 for a disc, we earn much less than you Americans do (my current full time salary is less than my graduate student stipend in US that "officially" said I work 18 hours a week -- in reality I worked three times more). Get used to it, pal.

Why should we get used to it? Bandai Visual is the only US company who charges this much for this little. Haruhi was released on 4 volumes in the US. I honestly don't care how many volumes it was released on in other countries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Relairknight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
I would have liked this news better if they had gotten La Corda instead. That show is much better than this IMHO.

I agree, I've always wanted to see the La Corda anime, the manga is very entertaining.
Serge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
dormcat wrote:
slickwataris wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
bci110 wrote:

Why should we get used to it? Bandai Visual is the only US company who charges this much for this little. Haruhi was released on 4 volumes in the US. I honestly don't care how many volumes it was released on in other countries.

Isn't 9 Volumes the Max for a 26 Episode Series in the US? (New Record!!!!) The Other Highest one I can think is Kiddy Grade, 8 DVD's for 24 Episodes, that was nuts, and what really sucked was that FUNimation put all 24 Episodes on 4 Discs later on, no quality was reduced etc, because 3 Episodes only comes out to like 3.5GB. Glad they don't do that anymore, their usual 26 Episode series is now 6 DVD's, wihch I like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6