• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Haruka TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
You know, Bandai Visual, just because the anime boom started in the 90s doesn't mean the 90s sales model still works (high price, low episode count, sub only). Oh, I'm sure you'll include a nice booklet, but people see those as free incentives or bonuses, not part of the price (Samurai 7's books were over 25 pages for free). It could be argued that the price was acceptable for the "obscure" titles that you were releasing before, but a recent title like Haruka that with a full TV series episode count is going to be held to even more scrutiny than your previous OAVs.

I'll be amazed if you really make money off of this series.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Why won't this company just die already? Anime hyper#
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Boxset anyone?

If it even makes it that far. And seeing how they're pricing the single dvds i'm sure the boxset is going to be somewhere up there. With that idea in my head i'll be sure to wait until its on sale on a site.

And I know whats probably going to be said, the show may have been popular in Japan, they pay more, the liscecing fee was high they need to re-earn that money. It's still too much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is up with Bandai Visual? They're trying to apply their moronic Japanese business model for releasing anime DVD's here in the United States and it just don't work. Anime fans here in the states have been pushing for companies like ADV Films, FUNimation, Bandai Entertainment and other to increase the number of episodes per DVD while Bandai Visual seems to be decreasing that number.

Anime fans in the United States are more selective when it comes to their anime. Since the anime isn't the original version, being dubbed or subtitled, the business model they use for selling and distributing anime in Japan cannot be used for selling the same here in the U.S. It just doesn't work.

There have been more than a few titles that Bandai Visual has released that I've been wanting to buy, but I'll download them before I waste my money buying an anime series that's "stretched" and I do mean "stretched" over 9 or 10 DVD's for a 26 episode series.

For many anime fans, 6-7 DVD's for an anime series is kind of stretching it, but most of us will pay it. But when you have a company who's trying to apply Japanese business models to the U.S. market, 26 episodes on 9 DVD's, it'll fail.

Judging from what I've read posted in this topic, it seems that the consensus among everyone here is the same ... it's absurd for Bandai Visual to treat American anime fans in this manner.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Selling sub only releases they basically can't lose, even if most people are downloading it they don't have to make hardly anything to cover their costs. So they'll do it as long as it makes them anything.

Theoretically they'd make more if lowered prices, but I don't know that anyone can prove whether or not it's true.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Does this press release mean that Bandai Visual has obtained a distributor in North America again?

While the pricing is still high, and I have no interest in the series myself, I do think it'd be worthwhile to point out that this is still significantly cheaper than Bandai Visual USA's previous releases.

I also agree with what dormcat said, it's not as if anime is totally unaffordable even at higher prices, and other asian countries pay 2x to 4x as much as we do in the USA. Still, like Seif said, that doesn't mean that it is a good idea to charge similar prices in markets where competitors charge far less.

At the same time, if Bandai Visual USA holds true to past form, they will author their DVDs at a far higher bitrate and quality level than what is offered by other companies. So the deal is not that bad really if you don't mind the lack of a dub.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

While the pricing is still high, and I have no interest in the series myself, I do think it'd be worthwhile to point out that this is still significantly cheaper than Bandai Visual USA's previous releases.

I was going to point this out. At least this is an improvement over Super Robot Wars Original Generation ~Divine Wars~.

But nonetheless, this is still pretty bad. 9 discs? The only "more-recent" title that pushed the disc count up like this was Tenjho Tenge (and I still don't know what the heck Geneon was thinking when they decided to make that eight discs).

At least I don't have any interest in this series.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
@ Serge: Kiddy Grade was never put on 4 DVDs -- Funimation repackaged it as double-disc sets for the 4-disc release and the non-Viridian boxed set. I got the boxed set, and it's still 8 discs. And there have been other 8-disc releases of 24~26 episode series from various companies, such as Stellvia (Geneon, 26 on 8), Tenjho Tenge (Genon, 24+2OVA/8), Ceres Celestial Legend (Viz, 24/8), Gasaraki (ADV, 25/8), Tenchi Muyo GXP (Funimation, 24/8), Tenchi Universe & in Tokyo (Geneon, 26/8), and Trigun (Geneon, 26/8).

Actually, this seems pretty reasonable by BV standards -- when I first read it, I thought it would be 13 discs, which isn't unheard of for 26-episode series in Japan. I probably won't be buying this series because it doesn't interest me enough to pay those prices, but I never DLed the fansubs either, so I wish BV well.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I hope you get a free T-shirt with these. If they were going to do a nine volume release I think they would have been better off to make the price point $24.98. Also if they can sell a 100 minute movie for $30, why can't they sell 100 minutes of a TV series for the same price. Oh well.

Reading some of these comments reminds me of the things they say about 4Kids. BV sure isn't getting any brownie points lately. I just hope the company that made Haruka wasn't banking on the NA market to get a lot of cash flow for the series. Although considering the number of spinoff's this has gotten maybe it doesn't need any help.

Serge wrote:
The Other Highest one I can think is Kiddy Grade, 8 DVD's for 24 Episodes, that was nuts, and what really sucked was that FUNimation put all 24 Episodes on 4 Discs later on, no quality was reduced etc,

Actually they still kept those on eight discs, they just put two DVDs in each case.

Xanas wrote:
Theoretically they'd make more if lowered prices, but I don't know that anyone can prove whether or not it's true.

Historical economics can show a positive trend that it is almost always mostly true. So much so that I believe it would move it well out of theory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
its not that bad, its like 2 more disc than the usual 26 episode series gets, I remember about 2-3 years ago 8 disc were pretty common to( X, escaflowne). Its a vast improvment over charging 50 dollars for a movie. Just becasue there not completely matching everyone else dosen't means its a rip off.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
YAY!!! Haruka got licensed!! WOOHOO!!! WAIT!!! If Bandai Visual got it...ARE THEY GONNA DUB IT?!
domino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why they got Haruka before the more well-received Corda?
Oh well. Expensive, but I'll support more shoujo anime released in the US. And at that price, I guess I can expect a dub to go along with it. I hope they dig up extras along with it.
Cela

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I had to register just to express my anger over this, for what good it'll do.

I absolutely love Haruka, for all its lack of originality, and it absolutely infuriates me to see such a god-awful company like Bandai Visual getting hold of it.

Who keeps giving these worthless jerks their shows?!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
And at that price, I guess I can expect a dub to go along with it.

Please tell me why you think this?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Why is it that Bandai Visual doesn't like to dub anime? That makes people happy when dubs exist (well...some people at that). I LOVE Haruka. It's such a cool show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6