• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop's eulogy in Latin bugs me...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Hi, new to the forums here, but I visit the site all the time.

To the point: Does anyone have any idea what those melancholy children are singing in the credits song "Blue" for episode 26 of Cowboy Bebop? I think it's in Latin...

That has bugged me for a long time. We get subtitles for Japanese OPs and EDs, but if a pivotal song over a pivotal moment in anime is in LATIN, you're a bit screwed, aren't you? I looked all over the internet, and I still don't know what:

"Reeeeeju Messiah woot."

...means.

(And yes, I'm aware that's not the lyrics. I sounded it out phonetically. The Romans probably never said "woot.") Very Happy
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
It's not Latin. It's Gablish, since the vocal is by Gabriela Robin. It doesn't mean anything, it's just there to add in another vocal part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I checked the CD booklet, and it doesn't list the Gablish lyrics.

I've never heard that term before, Gablish. Is it common for Gabriela Robin? Outside of a few anime soundtracks, I don't know her work.

-Murph
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

I've never heard that term before, Gablish. Is it common for Gabriela Robin? Outside of a few anime soundtracks, I don't know her work.

-Murph

The only work she's ever done is on Kanno Yoko soundtracks, and there's a widespread belief that she actually IS Kanno Yoko :p The term "Gablish" is fan-originated, and just refers to the sort of 'filler' made-up language that Gabriela Robin is known for singing in.

There's more info here, if you're curious: http://www.gabrielarobin.com/mainsite/gr.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see. I've heard the "Yoko Kanno is Gabriela Robin" rumor before. I didn't know she was known for making up words. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

-Murph
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I feel better now. "Gablish."

I assume, then, that the song "Green Bird" from the end of episode #5 (when Spike falls out of the cathedral) is also in Gablish.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I assume, then, that the song "Green Bird" from the end of episode #5 (when Spike falls out of the cathedral) is also in Gablish.

Yup. Same with Cats on Mars :p
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
I've heard the "Yoko Kanno is Gabriela Robin" rumor before.

Isn't it fascinating? Whatever your opinion is after reading that site... well, I just hope we never find out! Anime smile
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Isn't it fascinating? Whatever your opinion is after reading that site... well, I just hope we never find out! Anime smile

I've always thought it's just another thing that makes Kanno Yoko so bloody brilliant (and adorable!) It also speaks well of the people she works with, in that those of them who DO know the secret let the rest of us have fun not knowing Razz
MrVince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
I checked the CD booklet, and it doesn't list the Gablish lyrics.

-Murph

I believe she performed Santi-U in the Macross Plus soundtrack. That song uses made up words.
Mykelti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
I ALMOST pressed that question upon Steve Conte last week, but I could sense his great respect for his work with Yoko and the Seatbelts -I just let him express that without bursting his bubble by possibly testing that respect.

But what IF I did?
(will ALWAYS be one of those things...)

Phil Collins LOVES to make up phonetical/lyical sounding gibberish ALL THE TIME when fleshing out new songs or melodies. (lots' on the 2000 rel. Tarzan Special Edition supplemental disk too) It's nowhere as entertaining as Yoko --excuse me, Gabriela Robin's cute & lively bubbliness! (Phil's is just rather incoherent garbling -to keep a melodic flow, whereas Gabriela's is more defined and rhythmic?)
If she makes up that stuff when polishing a piece, she sure does a good job because she LEAVES it in for the final sessions -and we LIKE it lol!

*goes to link, frothing at the mouth*
Murishi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
This is way old, but the lyrics are "Esu messiah ut, du me decantus." Which roughly means, "Jesus the messiah sings to me."

JesuOtaku wrote:
Hi, new to the forums here, but I visit the site all the time.

To the point: Does anyone have any idea what those melancholy children are singing in the credits song "Blue" for episode 26 of Cowboy Bebop? I think it's in Latin...

That has bugged me for a long time. We get subtitles for Japanese OPs and EDs, but if a pivotal song over a pivotal moment in anime is in LATIN, you're a bit screwed, aren't you? I looked all over the internet, and I still don't know what:

"Reeeeeju Messiah woot."

...means.

(And yes, I'm aware that's not the lyrics. I sounded it out phonetically. The Romans probably never said "woot.") Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1