• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Indonesian Child Dies After Reportedly Imitating Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Flame-X wrote:
HAHAHA!!! take that narutard!

You have no right to even call yourself human after saying this. The comment lacked so much tact and empathy that I was shocked. If your hatred for a television show and its fans has grown on such a level that you cannot even see the tragedy in this situation, then you have no hope left.

It's situations like these that call for greater censorship on what is at least broadcast on television. Although many of you say that you never would imitate the violence on TV as a child, there are still tons that actually do. It's not necessarily anime that's the cause of this, but many TV shows in general (such as a case where two teenagers killed a little girl while imitating wrestling).
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
the linked blog wrote:
it has been strongly suspected that the boy was imitating his idolised Uzumaki Naruto’s actions on the grounds of having bruises on his neck after being strangled by his own belt.

Other considerations aside... I'm not perceiving the association. Is there an episode where Naruto strangles himself with a belt (or anything else)?
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, do they have a Jack Thompson for this sort of thing over there?

Anyways, let's all jump on the media-bashing bandwagon because political ammunition can come from ANYWHERE.

Thank you, Bandura.

Rolling Eyes
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
quartears wrote:
The government needs to back out, when the government has too much power, then kids get taken away for mundane reasons like "suicidal poetry" from their mother. It really happens.
How about the kids being taken away because the mother is "too poor" to have them? My dad's a lawyer and one of the cases he handled was exactly this. The local Department of Family and Child Services (I think that's the proper name) took away a woman's kids because she was poor.

Now, granted, she really was poor, but she kept the tiny rental hovel clean, kept the kids clean and as well-dressed as she could, kept the kids fed and healthy, and all of it while working several jobs just to be able to afford the little bit they had.

Now, when the kids are not sick, not dirty, not in danger, it doesn't matter how poor they are you do not take them from their mother. (My dad totally won that case. Cool )

The government shouldn't be making all of these decisions about what's best for the public. I think our government started to seriously overstep it's authority when it started getting involved in things issues like "what is marriage" and "how much water should be in your toilet bowel."

I'm straying from the thread topic though. Sorry.

Back on topic, the solution isn't censorship. The solution is raising children that are smarter and can think more clearly. It's only a small number of kids who imitate TV and do these stupid things and to decide that everyone else had to be restricted because of that is idiotic.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Indonesian kid+TV+Naruto=...death? How whichever politician made that statement came up with this little string of logic is both beyond and below me.

My view is pretty much was most have said already:

Anime censorship: 1st, question the age and intelligence of the kid. Kids can die in some really stupid way sometimes you know (scarfing anyone?)

Parenting: knowledge is power. mystification leads to curriousness (sp?)
fightncomet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:

It's situations like these that call for greater censorship on what is at least broadcast on television. Although many of you say that you never would imitate the violence on TV as a child, there are still tons that actually do. It's not necessarily anime that's the cause of this, but many TV shows in general (such as a case where two teenagers killed a little girl while imitating wrestling).

Well, it is actually part of natural development for children to imitate others, especially those they admire. Having said that, there are kids who where getting seriously injured playing backyard wrestling. They were jumping off roofs and landing on other kids. And you know what, this started in real life, not on a tv show or movie. So what do we do now? Do we cover our children's eyes as they walk down the street?

It's obvious what's necessary here, and its not censorship. Education, knowledge and common sense are the keys to good decision making.

I mean, seriously, has censorship really been directly linked to a decreases in childhood injury? I hate to say it, but risk-taking behavior is a problem as children develop, and there's no way around it except to educate children on what not to do. We can only hope they take it to heart.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
Flame-X wrote:
HAHAHA!!! take that narutard!

You have no right to even call yourself human after saying this. The comment lacked so much tact and empathy that I was shocked.

I have to agree.

Mr.Toto wrote:
It's situations like these that call for greater censorship on what is at least broadcast on television. Although many of you say that you never would imitate the violence on TV as a child, there are still tons that actually do.

This has been said about a billion times before, but where are the parents in all of this?

If the parents recognized that their child was immature enough that he couldn't tell the difference between fantasy and reality, then they should sat down with the child and explain it to him, or just make him watch some other anime or children's show that is less violent.

MokonaModoki wrote:
Is there an episode where Naruto strangles himself with a belt (or anything else)?

Not that I know of. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I have to ask it: what part of Naruto influenced his death? I don't remember any characters who wrapped cloth tightly around their necks or anything. I might be able to understand a kid suffocating in a sand pit thinking he's Gaara, but what Naruto character did anything that could even be exaggerated into strangulation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
fightncomet wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:

Well, it is actually part of natural development for children to imitate others, especially those they admire. Having said that, there are kids who where getting seriously injured playing backyard wrestling. They were jumping off roofs and landing on other kids. And you know what, this started in real life, not on a tv show or movie. So what do we do now? Do we cover our children's eyes as they walk down the street?

It's obvious what's necessary here, and its not censorship. Education, knowledge and common sense are the keys to good decision making.

I mean, seriously, has censorship really been directly linked to a decreases in childhood injury? I hate to say it, but risk-taking behavior is a problem as children develop, and there's no way around it except to educate children on what not to do. We can only hope they take it to heart.

If it would help prevent deaths, then I'm all for it. It is true that many parents dance around the topic of death instead of explaining it to their children.

Censorship was a stupid suggestion. No matter what, kids are going to see violent things accidentally. If they were taught not to imitate it and the full repercussions of violent actions, I would hope that they actually wouldn't.

braves wrote:
This has been said about a billion times before, but where are the parents in all of this?

If the parents recognized that their child was immature enough that he couldn't tell the difference between fantasy and reality, then they should sat down with the child and explain it to him, or just make him watch some other anime or children's show that is less violent.

A parent cannot be expected to keep an eye on their child 24 hours a day. They should have taught him better for sure, but I don't think that many would realize the content being broadcast on a children's channel.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
and yet there are Japanese kids growing up watching Naruto and other TV shows without any mishaps...

even if you're a child, it's very hard to believe how anyone can "strangle" himself to death....

i would like to know what the details are before pointing fingers at TV media...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
When I was a kid, I grew up surrounded by firearms. Guns. Big, shiny, deadly weapons. With ammunition that I could easily get, load the weapons, and accidentally kill myself. Oddly, I'm still here. Want to know why?

Actually, what I really want to know is why you apparently think a handful of anecdotal examples are in any way statistically significant. This story is typical of political overreaction, I agree, but your portrayal of lethal weapons as being nothing more than benign objects around educated children is just as ludicrous as what this politician is trying to sell us.
MrVince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
...it is a show for kids.

It is a show for kids, it is not a show for small children. The manga runs in Shounen Jump, not Coro Coro magazine.

Minakichan is going in the right direction on this. I would add the maturity of an age set in one country will be different in another country. I know not all kids in Japan are raised learning martial arts, but I'm pretty damned sure they are taught to respect it and use it wisely. This is similar to how someone else in this thread was talking about raising a kid with guns and teaching them about it.

It's funny someone used the word "crusade" in the context of this event occuring in Indoenesia. With only a couple exceptions (first post and someone else who said southeast asian politics are corrupted), no one has put the article in the context of where it occurred. Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world and has been in a tug of war between the moderate majority and the very vocal conservative sects. This politician's party, the Propserous Justice Party is in the small minority, but pushes a very conservative cultural stance just shy of advocating sharia law. This party also has been accused of affiliating with the Muslim Brotherhood, which is called a terrorist organization in many circles.

You can read more about this on wikipedia at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperous_Justice_Party
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
This sounds more like the choking game that is becoming more popular among children and less influenced by Naruto or media.
Perhaps the one accusing Naruto is simply uneducated about this phenomenon, or is on a witch hunt and using this is an excuse.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Naruto didn't cause this kid to die. Lack of knowledge and lack of supervision did. Kids are stupid. Not like they can do much about it, because their brains are developing, but someone should shut the TV off or tell them to play with Naruto toys rather than thinking they are ninja with chakra jutsu abilities.

Knock off the blame game, adults.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Actually, what I really want to know is why you apparently think a handful of anecdotal examples are in any way statistically significant. This story is typical of political overreaction, I agree, but your portrayal of lethal weapons as being nothing more than benign objects around educated children is just as ludicrous as what this politician is trying to sell us.
The entire point of education is that it makes people less likely to do stupid things dax. Regardless of the subject, being more educated makes it less likely that you will do the things an uneducated person would. When you properly teach someone about guns, they are far less likely shot themselves accidentally or others. This is just simple logical reality.

Guns are extremely dangerous but the danger of accidental death by firearm is greatly reduced by simply knowing some basic gun safety. Likewise, if something is viewed as a mystery, children will be interested. Removing the mystery makes children less likely to seek out answers on their own.

Regardless of age knowing more about how to properly handle and treat an object or situation will reduce the potential for death and injury. Kids who have been taught how to treat guns are simply less likely to accidentally kill themselves or others. The guns are not "benign objects" as you said nor did I claim them to be such. I merely pointed out a legitimate fact that education saves lives on the whole.

Firearms are tools for killing. They are, however, still tools and thus must be influenced by a person to be dangerous. Statistically, you will find far more gun related deaths result from intentional use or foolhardy errors than real accidents. Plus, statistics can not measure the number of people who haven't been injured or killed due to proper gun safety education as there is no reliable way to measure this number. But considering the sheer number of firearms in this country, I'm more than willing to suggest that without proper firearm safety education the numbers would be considerably higher than they are.

Also, I think dear bonbonsrus may be onto something. I'll admit, I've yet to see every episode of Naruto ever, but I've been watching the CN run since it started and I've only missed four episodes total. I don't remember Naruto choking himself. Maybe being choked by someone else, but not himself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6