• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Indonesian Child Dies After Reportedly Imitating Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrVince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
You appear to be drawing the same kind of simplistic and overreaching conclusion as this politician is doing and it weakens your case to do so.

I think there's some reading between the lines on your part. I don't see anywhere in the two cited articles that the politician said Naruto had a scene where a character committed suicide nor attempted to strangle himself or herself. What the politician did say was:

Quote:
The story (Naruto) contains violence and caused a boy to take his own life.

To give you some benefit of the dought, the lawmaker could have ambiguously phrased his comment to CYA himself with the intention of saying Naruto had a scene with someone strangling him or herself. However, since there is no scene, the lawmaker couldn't be more explicit.

I do think we are in agreement in one thing: This lawmaker is using an incident to promote an agenda. I would go on to argue he is pushing the same agenda as to why most anime is heavily regulated, if not banned, in most of the Islamic world.

Last edited by MrVince on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
If a kid like that,is influenced by the older seasons of Naruto,I can't imagine what he would have done upon viewing the shippuden series.

As for anyone in Naruto,causing harm to themselves would be spoiler[Hidan of the Akatsuki,and his,self sacrifice style jutsu.] He is the only one that came to mind.But that's still far from being animated.

Both reports i've read,seem to blame the anime,but they also says comics in the quote.I don't believe they quite know what to blame.It's usually everything but themselves.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:
I think there's some reading between the lines on your part. I don't see anywhere in the two cited articles that the politician said Naruto had a scene where a character committed suicide nor attempted to strangle himself or herself.

The honest truth is that the article does not go into enough detail to fully explain what's going on, but previous examples across the globe have led me to assume that he's probably heading toward the well tread theme of blaming the media for the actions of children. Personally I'm kind of on the fence about this. On the one hand I do think it's entirely possible that violence on television can and does contribute toward reckless and even dangerous behavior on the part of some children who watch it and that not all of those children are obviously mentally deficient. Hell, I watched many of my own seemingly intelligent friends attempt to imitate what they saw on television at their own risk. However, I don't really have a huge problem with that; it's just not high up on my list of things to correct so I'll probably let somebody else fight that battle instead.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
What it sounds like to me is that the poor kid commited suicide and the adults are looking for an easy scapegoat. Rather than investigate what was going on in the kid's life, perhaps family trouble or schoolyard bullying, they say "Hey, he watched that Naruto show. Let's blame it on the cartoon!" Of course, the kid isn't around anymore to tell them Naruto isn't the cause of his suicide. Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
now the child may have had reasons, but what does Naruto do that even ivokes thoughts of suicide?

That all depends on who you ask. Wink

Naw, seriously this is sad. But I must say most of the blame will fall on the parents, lack of education and the teaching of responsibility. When I was that young I was competition shooting and fishing out in the middle of nowhere by myself or with a friend my age. Both of which can kill you. But if I ever deviated from the guidelines that were taught to me, harsh repercussion's where delt. Plus I was taught in a manner that made sense and I had to earn the trust before I was let go of. In the same manner as a child can learn to cross the road without the need to hold a parents hand, a child properly taught can learn to do just about anything.

Unadulterated accidents do happen, but most of the time it can be attributed to poor past care. As tragic as that is, most of the time it's from the parents own lack of teaching. Note: I don't think it is there legal fault though.

My guess is, he saw Naruto getting hung by his belt from a tree, or something. Maybe he was saying something "cool" while he was struggling to get out, so the boy wanted to replicate the situation. When he did so, he probably affixed one end of the "belt" to something to simulate the tree. He slipped and either broke his neck or strangled himself because he couldn't regain his footing. Or it is a problem of the asphyxiation game like bonbonsrus said. Which is also becoming a problem in the US by the way.

Hell, I still remember what my Mom used to tell me. Never put anything around you neck, except necklaces and other breakable things. And never put anything around your neck that you are going to tie off. She would explain why as well. She knew accidents happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sir Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
So, if a murderer said "Hasta la vista, baby" before killing his victim, the governor of the State of California should apologize with his resignation.

Rolling Eyes

minakichan wrote:
Although fans might naively expect differently, even a model parent cannot understand and monitor every single thing their child sees.

That's how Mother Nature has been doing for billions of years: not every offspring can reach adulthood.

however that may come off to someone whether it's crude or true; I whole heartedly agree.
Abdallah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:
I would go on to argue he is pushing the same agenda as to why most anime is heavily regulated, if not banned, in most of the Islamic world.

Says who? The huge anime collection of anime fans in the islamic world, or the airing of anime (mostly unedited) here since the 80s?
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
This sounds more like the choking game that is becoming more popular among children and less influenced by Naruto or media.
Perhaps the one accusing Naruto is simply uneducated about this phenomenon, or is on a witch hunt and using this is an excuse.

I remember reading an article about that a few years back, but why the hell would somebody want to play a game like that?!! You know what, as cruel as this might sound, the ones who play this "choking game" can just go ahead and die for all I care.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KamenRiderFaiz555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
While I don't think the kids necessarily need to die, I do belive if that's what it takes to teach the parent's a lesson, it's an acceptable loss. Besides, the kids "raised" by such parents tend to be the troublesome ones (not always of course) so getting rid of some is of course a good thing. If my kid were to do something as stupid as that, I'd certainly feel no remorse.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Its sad.

I just wonder what he was trying to do. Also I wonder how old was this kid?

I never remember trying the stunts I saw on Power Rangers. The most all of us kids did was run around on adventures screaming we were Power Rangers.

No one got hurt besides the knee scrapes or bug bites.

I know kids are learning, and they say the darndest things. But are kids today so sheltered that they're stupid? Are are they never taught any better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
bonbonsrus wrote:
This sounds more like the choking game that is becoming more popular among children and less influenced by Naruto or media.
Perhaps the one accusing Naruto is simply uneducated about this phenomenon, or is on a witch hunt and using this is an excuse.

I remember reading an article about that a few years back, but why the hell would somebody want to play a game like that?!! You know what, as cruel as this might sound, the ones who play this "choking game" can just go ahead and die for all I care.

Around 1998,I was a junior in High School,I would see freshman pay,to get choked out in the GYM.They would choke them on the vertical mats.Like drugs in school,people would usually turn a blind eye to it.I never thought it would have caught on.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Talk about diversion and obfuscation with unsubstantiated rhetoric.

"It wasn't an accident, it was an "error" and I'm pretty sure it was intentional, but he's dead so I don't really know for sure."
dax, when I write about intentional gun-related deaths, I'm talking about kids picking up guns and purposefully shooting each other, usually because they are in gangs. I'm not trying to divert or obscure anything, I just tend to classify things very precisely. Also, I think there's a difference between an accident, like dropping a gun and it goes off (which isn't even possible with some guns) and, say, pointing a gun at one's own head and pulling the trigger as a joke to scare someone but it turned out to be loaded after-all or sneaking up on someone in their own house late and night and being blown away.

Calling such things "accidents" seems wrong since they involve intentional acts that are extremely stupid and dangerous. Which is why I prefer "error" as it implies a mistake of action or judgement.

daxomni wrote:
Just what sort of statistics lead to that kind of a conclusion anyway?
Oh I don't know, just the fact that the human race as been using education to better itself for a really long time. Statistical analysis isn't necessary to prove that education is useful dax. The very fact that we are able to converse over a rather complex technological network is proof that education improves people's ability to do things.

Therefore, I'm making a rather logical deduction that education on how to safely handle firearms reduces the number of accidents and deaths as a result. If you have statistics that prove otherwise, please produce them.

Of course, as I wrote before, it's hard to prove a negative. If a person is alive, has been around firearms, and has had safety education on the subject, it can't be proven that he is alive solely because of the education.

daxomni wrote:
You didn’t blow your head off. I’m proud of you. Unfortunately it’s no more statistically significant than this poor child who apparently killed himself by accident (or "error"). You appear to be drawing the same kind of simplistic and overreaching conclusion as this politician is doing and it weakens your case to do so.
Again, I think there's a difference between doing something really stupid like looking down a gun's barrel while cleaning it, which does not strike me as an accident but rather an act of incredible stupidity, and a literal accident like shooting at something and missing and hitting a person instead.

Look, I don't see much of a point in arguing back and forth as I doubt we're going to come to an agreement anyway.
GregZor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
If I watched Naruto I'd probably strangle myself too.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
REAL STORY

Kid was being bullied all the time in school. One day after watching his favorite anime on TV, Naruto, he got really really depressed and HUNG HIMSELF - he commited suicide.

NOTHING RELATED TO NARUTO OTHER THAN HE LIKED TO WATCH IT!

(*edit added*)
And the lawyer Mutammimul Ula who is persuing this seems to find conspiracies everywhere he looks... This guy is unreal in Indonesia stirring up all sorts of strange lawsuits and concocting outcomes for cases that do not even match evidence the police have in many cases.
AnimeLover86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
cartoons shouldn't be blamed for the actions of children, but rather the parents! i parent should be able to tell their child what is real and what isn't. they should also be watching their kids, what exactly were this kid's parents doing while he strangled himself? this is nothing more than an example of child neglect. when i was 6, my next door neighbor's son, also 6, hung his 3 yr old brother with laundry line because they were watchin some cartoon about a wolf or fox trying to catch a rabbit and the animal got caught in the rope it was using. my neighbor imitated this because the wolf came right back, but sadly his brother didn't, maybe if his mother hadn't of been so busy watching tv she would have noticed what her kids were doing. although i agree some shows are inappropriate for kids, it is the parents responsibility to monitor what their kids are watching and then decide if it is appropriate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6