• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moyashimon / Moyashimon Returns (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countchocula86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Moyashimon (TV)

Plot Summary:
Sawaki Tadayasu, a college freshmen in a Tokyo agriculture university, has a unique ability, to see and communicate with microorganisms that appear to him as cute little super-deformed creatures. Together with his childhood friend, Kei, he begins what he hopes is a new and carefree life as a student. Those plans may change when he meets Professor Itsuki, a distinguished professor who specializes in fermentation, and other students who come to know about Sawaki's ability.

Moyashimon Returns (TV)

Plot Summary:
In the second season the story continues exactly where it left off previously. Professor Itsuki's Fermentation Cellar and laboratory is ready for operation and with Sawaki Tadayasu's unique gift to see and communicate with microbes to help, Itsuki's motley group of students begin to process different fermented products like soy sauce and sake.

Has anyone else finished this series? Its only 11 episodes long, and I admit that I was a bit hot and cold with it.

The first few episodes were decent; funny, but not really anything amazing. Basically it was just about the lives of a group of students(varying from undergrad to masters) and the professor of the lab. The "hook" is that one of the 1st years can actually see microbes, thus making him quite valuable for such a research lab. I wasnt really sure where the story was going to go with this, but it was entertaining enough to watch.

spoiler[Throughought the middle episodes I was always wondering what had happened to Kei, and why he had just randomly disappeared. But, I found that the last 2 episodes actually brought the anime together very well, and that the "gimmick" of seeing microbes was actually second to the core idea of the series, that being freedom.]

Did anyone else have any reactions? I never read the manga, so maybe for some of you its not such a startling revelation.

Second Season discussion begins here

[EDIT: Added the Encyclopedia link as well as the topic itself to the All Discussions thread. -TK]
[EDIT2: Added plot summaries, a picture, the Encyc. link for season 2, and the link where season 2 discussion starts. -TK]
iggentleman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I've never read the manga either.
Been watching it all along. Saw the last three episodes this weekend. Liked the series a lot, but.....
I think they ended it a bit abruptly. Probably needed two more episodes to do it justice. Could have had some more fun with the story
The stuff with Kei was a surprise, and I don't think it quite worked.

I wouldn't mind seeing a second series if they can make it as funny as the first.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I just finished this the other night. This show is really quite awesome if you ask me. It's a sort of cross between Mushishi and Honey and Clover with an atmosphere closer to Genshiken, and I do approve. I'll agree the first few episodes weren't as good as the last ones, but they're still pretty good setup. The cast was nice and varied enough that the characters didn't become stale or get too much screen time, but definitely not so big you get confused as to who's who.

Lots of shows have high school drama, and quite frankly, I don't really understand why. College offers so much more interesting possibilities, and Moyashimon really captures how it feels like to be an undergraduate sometimes (i.e. feeling like you're running around like a headless chicken). Well, ok, so the school they go to certainly doesn't exist as it does in the show, but if it did, I'd be putting in my transfer next week so I could have some Kiviak (look it up! sounds delicious!) with the crew.

The show did feel like it was shorter than it was planning on being, but I actually really liked the ending a lot more than I would have thought at the beginning of the last episode.

Seriously though, how can you go wrong with super powers, college, awkward homosexual (and straight) first encounters, shenanigans and alcohol in every episode?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
countchocula86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lots of shows have high school drama, and quite frankly, I don't really understand why. College offers so much more interesting possibilities, and Moyashimon really captures how it feels like to be an undergraduate sometimes (i.e. feeling like you're running around like a headless chicken). Well, ok, so the school they go to certainly doesn't exist as it does in the show, but if it did, I'd be putting in my transfer next week so I could have some Kiviak (look it up! sounds delicious!) with the crew.

I think you raise a really good point. You always get these slice of life style stories set in high school scenarios. Its nice to see a show that shows college life, and sort of the freedom that you get, and the ability to explore yourself that you really only find therein.

But at the same time, theres a lot of good humour too, which makes it easily watchable.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
Just finished episode 6 last night and I really like it. It's funny, the characters are great and memorable (The microbes are really cute Laughing), and I guess you can learn from it too. It kind of makes me wish that I took up science in college, especially in a school like theirs. They all look like they're having fun while learning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
Only seen the first two episodes and I've enjoyed what I saw. Most people seem to like the later episodes more so I'm looking forward to them once a certain group releases them. All the Noitamaina block shows I've seen are quality and Moyashimon so far keeps up the high standards of that time slot.
noobles
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
I definitely would have passed over Moyashimon if it wasn't for a few forumites who sang praise for it in the discussion for the last ANN Season Preview - I thought its premise was a bit silly and didn't really go into with high hopes, but it won me over with its relaxing pace, characters and humor. Unfortunately, it falters at the end for it was too abrupt, as there was definitely room for further story and character development.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it and truly hope they continue with a second season.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Only seen the first two episodes and I've enjoyed what I saw. Most people seem to like the later episodes more so I'm looking forward to them once a certain group releases them.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, from what I can tell all the groups that were working on Moyashimon consider their work on the series "done". The subs that are out now are probably all that will be out.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
noobles wrote:
I definitely would have passed over Moyashimon if it wasn't for a few forumites who sang praise for it in the discussion for the last ANN Season Preview

People need to listen to me more.

I'm lovin' what I've seen so far (six episodes). It's one of the most original and refreshing comedies that anime has ever seen, and remains consistently funny, to boot.

Moyashimon also has the advantage of airing on Noitamina meant to appeal to the mainstream as opposed to the niche otaku audience (where other series such as Honey and Clover, Mononoke, and Nodame Cantabile have aired).

I need to get around to watching the last five episodes.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, from what I can tell all the groups that were working on Moyashimon consider their work on the series "done". The subs that are out now are probably all that will be out.

One of their members popped up on um "that" forum and pretty much said expect a batch release of the rest sometime next week. I'm expecting it a few days after Spice and Wolf 3. I'm in no rush atm since I've only seen the first two episodes so I can wait.

EDIT - Haha those guys had a late night to get those releases out, I'll hopefully be back in this thread to post my thoughts on this series sometime this week.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to the second half of the series. Oh, man, good times! Although I do wonder what I would have thought if I hadn't been indirectly spoiled as to spoiler[Kei's reapperance. I'd seen comments about the goth loli girl being a "trap", so it was easy enough to piece together between Kei's absence and where goth loli girl showed up.]

The ending did seem a bit abrupt, especially given that Hasegawa's situation was only introduced (and not resolved) so late. I'd definately love to see a sequel, although the message of choosing your own future does provide some degree of closure.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Ya, there was definetly no real resolution about Hasagawa. Id have liked to see more of Muto and Oikanawa too
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks to this thread for introducing this series to me. I really like it so far, and I find it very educational and entertaining.

It has definitely had a Genshiken feel in it but I think it's much enjoyable. This show is unique, I'm liking it more..

Just finished this series today and I'm hoping for a 2nd season because the ending was unsatisfying. It ended just when it gets really good.

In episode 10 I knew that the girl was spoiler[Kei] after the kiss scene....

I like the mini microbe theatre at the end of each episodes the microbes are very entertaining and informative.

Oh yeah one more thing I really like Daisuke's voice (Sawaki) I just found-out today that he was the voice of Sawaki, I like Daisuke's voice for Sunohara from Clannad.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
I really loved this series. So quirky and fun. They should put this one on Discovery Channel or something. It's fricken educations programming. Wink

I also figured out the loligoth situation from the instant she was introduced, it just added up.

I really do hope for a sequel on this one though, there needs to be more! I don't see why they couldn't make more, they tend to do that more and more these days, throwing out 13 eps, and if people like them they produce a second or third season, rather than the usual commitment of 26 eps at a time.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
yes i also liked this series, very educational too but funny at the same time. not much to say since everyone else said it for me, i also do hope a 2nd season comes out but its been two years and nothing has been said about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3