• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Germany Puts All DVD Releases on "Pause"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the fans. I could imagine if I were to make about double my current income I'd be able to buy every anime DVD I wanted. At my current income level, I think I'll always be a little short no matter how hard I try, even if I did nothing else (I already spend a larger proportion on it, especially considering percentage of entertainment time than anything else).

My current income is about 20k, and I'm single. I also still live at home (even when I didn't I had room-mates, and I still pay rent/etc. to contribute here at home). For those with families I can definitely see the restrictions being stronger. The problem as I see it is that people want to see more than they want to own. Renting is a legitimate alternative to downloading, but it's limited (you can't get nearly as many titles in many cases, and certainly not as recent as what's fansubbed). I think many of those on the other side don't really care that you can or can't buy something, they think you should "do without" and do something else. Of course, if you actually did that, chances are you might end up deciding to spend money on things other than anime, so it wouldn't end up helping the industry at all. Regardless of what you think of free downloading, you are more likely to get money from people who are interested in your product than people who moved on to something else. What the industry really needs to figure out how to do is

1) Provide low rate subscriptions to earn some return on those who only want to see a show once.
2) Increase speed of licensing, particularly for subbed online material (there is really no reason they shouldn't be able to meet or beat fansubbers who can handle 3-4 shows a week for free).
3) Include advertisements as part of the subs to entice people to buy products most anime fans are interested in, including DVDs for the collectors out there

Yes, a small minority of the people buying DVDs will stop doing so in order to pay for these subscriptions. Some, like myself, will probably create a "wash" (I will buy 1 less dvd if the subscription rate is 20$, because I really do spend what I can on anime). Others, who formerly contributed nothing (probably the majority) will now be contributing something.

They don't have to kill filesharing to do this either. Do you see people on bittorrent to avoid having cable? No, most people downloading American TV on bittorrent might be avoiding TiVo but not cable. A lot of them are also foreigners who like us don't want to wait months to get it officially overseas. Downloading is really a pain, and if you give people easy and alternative ways that are of reasonable cost they will use them. So we need some kind of reasonably priced streaming subscriptions.

I have tried Bost, and I made comments there to this effect. I bought a few of the points there, sadly before I went back to see the rest of the episodes of what I did buy expired (something I told them would probably happen and that I didn't like, buying media that expires).
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Other than in France and Italy, Europe's not really that big a market for anime.

What are you basing that statement on? As recently reported here on ANN, the Western European manga market is bigger than the North American market - I wouldn't be at all suprised to learn that the same is true of anime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Manga's a different story than anime over there. We're the biggest consumers of the latter media, outside of Japan.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
For starters, Rozen Maiden this centruy's Nadeisco in regards to taking the franchise and ruining it to the point of no Return.

Second, just alow me to buy the things at a £15 rrp a disk (alowing for a genearl £11 price point on Play) and I'll shut up.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:25 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

Second, just alow me to buy the things at a £15 rrp a disk (alowing for a genearl £11 price point on Play) and I'll shut up.
Oh Lord, hear our prayer.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Manga's a different story than anime over there. We're the biggest consumers of the latter media, outside of Japan.

You may well be right but I'd love to see some figures. Or are you just speculating?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

I konw, is Five pounds per sale that much to ask? It's clearly not as if they're geting the £20 sales anyway if the recent week is any indication.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

I konw, is Five pounds per sale that much to ask? It's clearly not as if they're geting the £20 sales anyway if the recent week is any indication.
Surprisingly I agree with you on that, however that's not what I was praying for. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3