• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kekkaishi.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Kekkaishi

Animation Studio - Sunrise

I saw that the main thread in the discussion thread was gone so I decided to make another one.
Recently picked up this fabulously potential series from the overlooked anime thread and oh boy, am I glad I did. It's been airing since Fall 06 but there isn't much discussion about it.

Plot Summary: Sumimura Yoshimori, a 14-year-old junior high school boy, is a descendant of Kekkaishi, or an exterminator of monsters He is vying for the heir to the family with Yumikura Tokine. Tokine is older than him, and she is his childhood friend as well as his rival Kekkaishi. To save people from the crises, and to make himself stronger, Yoshimori fights against monsters tonight, too.

The first thing I noticed about the series was the animation. I'm not a big fan of CG but the CG are some of the best I've seen and can quite add on to the vibe of the show later on. The pacing is also done well blended in with a fair amount of action and comedy.

Kekkaishi is about to finish airing and having seen 43/52 episodes, there is plenty of room for a bigger story. It's similar to Shounen Omyoumi on many levels but has more room for development. I think that Kekkaishi probably has a big chance of being the next Bleach/Naruto. That is if they get more support and continue with a new season afterwards.

Kekkaishi may seem lighthearted at first but I can guarantee theres gonna be some heart breaking moments later in the series especially since they focus on character development early on. One of the things I really like about the series is the rival relationship with the 2 main hero/heroine of the series. Tokine likes to tease Yoshimori alot and there isn't a clearcut relationship since they act differently with each other in public.

Give the show a shot
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
I'll throw in a more detailed post later of what I think of this great but under appreciated show but I have to correct something.

Quote:
I think that Kekkaishi probably has a big chance of being the next Bleach/Naruto. That is if they get more support and continue with a new season afterwards.

If you mean in Japan than I must let you know that Kekkaishi was blowing away both Naruto and Bleach in the ratings. Around Spring to the midpoint of the year they were pretty much rating like this. Kekkaishi 7%-9%, Naurto 5%-7% and Bleach 3%-5%.

Even when Kekkaishi's ratings dropped to the point where it got shifted to a grave yard slot it was still out rating them. Only One Piece is out rating it from the SJ + affiliates stable and since One Piece is pretty much the heir to DBZ over there it's to be expected.

Anyway people should really watch it, it's based on an award winning manga, production values are high (McDonald's sponsorship), the soundtrack by Taku Iwasaki is stellar.
heen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
i really like this series how ever episodes 44+ are not subbed yet so its kinda frustrating having to wait like 2+ weeks for the people to sub one episode
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I've only read up to manga 11 (what's available in America thus far), but its awesome. I'm trying not to be in the middle of getting huge numbers of manga series that have no definite length, but this one is staying. I don't feel like fansubs now, and if it gets popular enough (I always see people reading scanlations), mybe the anime would come over too. I'd definatly watch it if it does
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of an international release when I wrote that comment but Interestingly I didn't know that but its great to hear that its so popular. Where do you find your ratings?

I've read on Yoroshiku (fansubber's for kekkaishi) forums that the sponsors canceled so its going to end at 52 episodes. Theres probably another reason since I heard the stopping point is the end of this arc so that sounds like a perfect resting spot. Hoping for second season and an R1 release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I think it will be closer to being a Inuyasha internationally than a Naruto/Bleach. Anyway for your question I get them off that bittorrent site but ANN usually posts them as well, but only the top 10. Here's a few random weeks I found of ratings.

Monday, July 2, 2007 - Sunday, July 8, 2007
15.6% 07/08 (Sun) *6:30pm-*6:00pm Fuji TV Sazae-san
10.6% 07/06 (Fri) *7:30pm-*7:54pm TV Asahi Crayon Shin-chan
*9.9% 07/08 (Sun) *6:00pm-*6:30pm Fuji TV Chibi Maruko-chan
*9.6% 07/08 (Sun) *9:00am-*9:30am Fuji TV Gegege no Kitarou
*9.3% 07/06 (Fri) *7:00pm-*7:30pm TV Asahi Doraemon
*8.7% 07/02 (Mon) *7:30pm-*8:00pm NTV Meitantei Conan [Detective Conan aka Case Closed]
*8.4% 07/08 (Sun) *9:30am-10:00am Fuji TV One Piece
*7.3% 07/02 (Mon) *7:00pm-*7:30pm NTV Kekkaishi
*6.8% 07/08 (Sun) *8:30am-*9:00am TV Asahi Yes! Pretty Cure 5
*6.3% 07/05 (Thu) *7:30pm-*7:57pm TV Tokyo NARUTO Shippuuden

Monday, April 16, 2007 - Sunday, April 22, 2007
19.4% Fuji TV Sazae-san
12.2% Fuji TV Chibi Maruko-chan
11.1% NTV Meitantei Conan
*9.7% Fuji TV One Piece
*9.6% TV Asahi Doraemon
*9.2% Fuji TV Gegege no Kitarou
*8.6% NTV Kekkaishi
*8.3% TV Asahi Yes! Pretty Cure 5
*6.3% TV Tokyo Pocket Monsters Diamond Pearl [Pokemon Diamond & Pearl]
*5.4% TV Tokyo BLEACH

It pulled a 2.9% last week (not on ANN yet) in a graveyard shift of 3 am, I see Bleach getting a 3.5% sometimes at 5pm..... to bad it wasn't airing on TV Tokyo hey....

Oh yeah Yatterman the show they replaced Kekkaishi with got a 10% rating on its debut, also features Yoshimori's VA as the male hero of the show and I love the ED song for it.
Sonata-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching this series myself; it's really great and the shounen aspect of it isn't half bad in my opinion despite the limited fighting only at nights. I first watched it back in October when it first aired but took a hiatus from the Net due to PC-related problems, but it's really coming together and I also took notice how Yoshimori and Tokine's relationship is becoming stronger over time and let's not dismiss the plot, its getting quite more interesting to say the least. I'm looking forward in seeing where this goes as a series.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Kekkaishi's one of my favorite manga/anime series at the moment, and the DS game is truly excelent too (probably the best anime-based DS game, unless you count Jump Ultimate Stars).
Sonata-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Yeah, Kekkaishi's one of my favorite manga/anime series at the moment, and the DS game is truly excelent too (probably the best anime-based DS game, unless you count Jump Ultimate Stars).

So how is the game? I would take the time to do research on the game itself but I'm quite more interested in someone's opinion who actually played the game.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
looked it up and i'm assuming your the same person who wrote the guide for it at gamefaqs. too bad it only has a jp release.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving this show. It's just so much fun and so watchable. Favorite character so far has got to be Masamori, and the coolest epsiode was when spoiler[Madarao was unsealed and we saw his true form. Loved it!]
Definitely an under appreciated shonen gem. Usually I prefer the manga to the anime when it comes to shonen, but this is a rare case where the anime is just so well done that I prefer it over the manga (I also feel the same way about Gintama, which...coincidence! is also from Sunrise). Sunrise has a knack for doing shonen adaptations right. The most impressive thing is that the animation is really really good, and consistently so. This is especially amazing for this type of series. The animation isn't as good on a regular basis on One Piece, Bleach, or Naruto, etc.
Sad to hear that it's gonna be ending soon. I'm only up to episode 20ish, so at least I have a lot left to enjoy. The story was great as is, but the bigger plot that's building up is really interesting. The guys in the suits are so cool.I'll definitely be crossing my fingers for a second series.
I actually remember hearing that the ratings weren't that great for the show. But after seeing the numbers you posted, I'm glad I heard wrong.

And a question about the DS game...is it import friendly? Is there a big language barrier or no?
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
If you love it at around episode 20 than prepare to worship it after watching 21-37 8-)
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
looked it up and i'm assuming your the same person who wrote the guide for it at gamefaqs. too bad it only has a jp release.

Yeah. Hopefully, if and when the Kekkaishi anime comes out here, they'll release the DS and Wii games (damned Wii being non-import friendly!).

The DS game is fun. It's a platformer where you use the d-pad to move Yoshimori through the level, and you tap the screen to create kekkai. The longer you hold it, the larger the kekkai is, and as you progress through the game you can make more of them (at the begining you can only make two small ones at a time, or one 2x2 one, by the end you can make 9 small ones at a time, or one 16x16 one and another small one).

You then either hit a button in the corner, or just blow into the mic to ketsu them, killing the monster inside.

It's a bit of a puzzle system, as each monster type has to be handled in specific ways, like on the show, by multi-surrounding some, or using a kekkai to reflect shots back at him, etc. It's very accurate to the show's plot (up until right before Gen shows up) and the feel of the series. I'd love to see a sequel with a playable Gen and the Kokubourou plotline.

It's very import friendly, as there is plot, but it mostly seems to be recapping the show, and you can just skip through it. Follow the FAQ if you get lost. Wink

I get what they're doing with the show though, there seems to be a natural breaking off point which is where I guess they're stopping, but hopefully they'll continue when they have enough material to do so. Better than doing filler.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Well as I've said before, this is a series I'd really, really love to get into, I just haven't had much of an opportunity to is all. But I hear nothing but great things about it, and the shounen lover that I am, that really gets me excited to check it out. Only problem is I can't seem to find the manga anywhere and the anime is already so far into it I'm going to need to have some time to watch it all.
Sonata-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Only problem is I can't seem to find the manga anywhere and the anime is already so far into it I'm going to need to have some time to watch it all.

It's a relatively easy anime to keep up with in terms of following events. It's a good series so try not to rush it and you'll enjoy it at the very least, it's worth the watch. ^ ^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3