• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - 2008-01-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
mbueno wrote:

The Freddie Mercury one was one of the best cases of this. Kudos, good sir...kudos. Anime hyper

I'm still wondering how it was logically possible to insert this seamlessly...

It was amazing (and I love Queen, yay... only have that gigantic 3-disc compilation album, but it seems like it's more than enough).
aluria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of Mike Toole before but I look forward to his next segment. I had some good laughs over his 'interpretation' of Kanon. ANNtv on the whole is getting better, keep it up guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Great show this week, and the new segment made me laugh out loud several times. I can't wait to see his take on Galaxy Angel next time Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemwon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mike's review is supposed to be funny and sarcastic and a lot of you are taking it way too seriously. Lighten up folks.

Summed up my thoughts. Some here who got kinda serious here had some valid points, but this was clearly a comedy thing. If he was a serious reviewer, would he really have done the "Cannon (BOOM!)/Kanon" joke?

Not trying to be too critical, but did anyone else think Ellie looked a bit uncomfortable with her hands in her back pockets? I just thought it looked like she tried a bit too hard to find a new pose (no offense).

Otherwise, everything looked pretty good. I still dislike the opening theme with random things listed, but the actual show content was good and I'll judge on that.
zalas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Moe is definitely the hottest niche within anime on both sides of the pacific, but to say that the majority of anime fans on either side of the pacific like the genre is misleading. Most anime fans in Japan either don't get moe, don't like moe, or don't specifically care for moe but do like some of the moe shows (I fall into the latter category myself).

Well, I guess that boils down to how one defines "anime fan". There's both a mainstream audience in Japan, who would watch the more popular things like Sazae-san, Doraemon, Prince of Tennis, Ghibli, etc., and the cult "otaku" audience, who watches the late night anime shows, which comprise a large portion (in number of titles) of the anime released over here. Moe, using the current definition in this discussion thread, is a big part of that "otaku" audience, I believe, but probably doesn't stand out as much to the general anime audience.

That being said, the "review" of Kanon was hilarious. I don't agree with half of what he's saying, but his delivery is spectacular and I look forward to seeing what he does next week. I think the only thing that bothered me was his pronunciation of Kanon as "can known". The people who are all upfront about his review should just chill, because even he wasn't taking himself that seriously either.

By the way, as a suggestion, can ANN turn down the reverb setting on the recording for the main segment or maybe record in a padded studio? The reverb makes it feel like they're standing in an empty room. Perhaps adding some light BGM might be better as well.

Furthermore, using random segments of the song to pad out the show makes it feel like the show has ADD. Maybe use a different song and at least use something with enough self-contained musical content in that short segment.
nuaythebest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit off topic but I really want to know. My friend argue me that the part where Makoto said "but right when I saw his face, it hit me" is wrong translation and using hit is wrong grammar and wrong meaning. Is it true? I hope anyone who use English as native language can answer me that.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
nuaythebest wrote:
It's a bit off topic but I really want to know. My friend argue me that the part where Makoto said "but right when I saw his face, it hit me" is wrong translation and using hit is wrong grammar and wrong meaning. Is it true? I hope anyone who use English as native language can answer me that.

"It hit me" is a way of saying "A thought came to my head" without sounding wierd.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't think I can look at Moe the same way again. Or trust toast that anyone besides me makes. I thought it was funny and even if it wasn't fully serious, it did show a number of clips from both animes which can help someone decide if they want to try them or not.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I thought it was funny and even if it wasn't fully serious, it did show a number of clips from both animes which can help someone decide if they want to try them or not.

I didn't mention this before but it was very nice to have lots of footage to go along with his thoughts, so I agree with this. I hope in future Jumps it will also use a plethora of footage.

Also for those who are serious, it was just a clear opinion, and a very comical one at that. I haven't seen Kanon, but from what I hear it is one of the better examples of the moe craze. So I don't think it made too much impact of whether I would get the show. Personally, if I ever do get one of these shows it will either be Air or Kanon. But that's besides the point. It was hightly entertaining, and that is something you don't see very often with these sorts of things. Also whether you agree or not, at least you can tell he was speaking from the heart even with his comical overtones, and not some pandering BS.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
While I don't agree with his opinion on.....Mike Toole's review was awesome. He's really funny and sarcastic, I love it. The "mercury bit" and the "dating in highschool" were awesome.

You rule, Toole!
Demontaco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
i agree that he's judging the show entirely on the first Disc.

I've seen the entire series fansubbed, and it is definitely one of my favorite Anime. There are reasons for everything, though most delve highly into the supernatural. You really can't judge this anime until you've seen the end; its like the entire anime up to that point was just handing you pieces of a puzzle, and suddenly they slam their fist on the table and all the pieces just fall magically into place. Everything clicks, and you're hit with this "Of course!" sort of realization.

The character development is amazing. its really NOT completely moe... each character is developed in a way to make you understand and sympathize which each one, till you feel you know them on a personal level; which is weird to say for fictional characters.

On that note, i think his comment that the characters were "ugly" is both wrong and contradictory of his moe-hate. Wouldnt "ugly" characters be less moe than "beautiful" characters?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Demontaco wrote:
i think his comment that the characters were "ugly" is both wrong and contradictory of his moe-hate. Wouldnt "ugly" characters be less moe than "beautiful" characters?

Nice try, but the characters of Kanon were obviously rendered to appeal to the usual moe characteristics. The fact that Toole personally finds them to be unappealing to himself doesn't mean he's contradicting himself.

I personally find these dating sim/h-game based productions to be generic and awful. I've watched a good number of these to give them a chance, but they're lowest common denomenator programming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mike's review is supposed to be funny and sarcastic and a lot of you are taking it way too seriously. Lighten up folks.

I don't think it's a "lighten up folks" situation. I don't mind someone knocking (jokingly or otherwise) something I like. Fans are going to be divided on this though. Everyone like me is going to want you to attach "Serious substance" to the ANNtv stream. Every more laid back person and/or giggly little idiot who will laugh at anything... those groups (mostly laid back considering this crowd... I think) will say "it's funny so we like it". My type won't be sitting through ANNtv if thats a part of it.

My personal opinion (because it matters so much) is this. Save the news, serious reviews/previews, and other substance driven segments (even if its just rehashing some text based content from ANN) for ANNtv. Maybe even rename it to make it less all encompassing. Give an implication that this is 20-30 mins of "the straight poop"... please don't call it "The Straight Poop" ...

For those of us who like our mercury jelly, well... Dude (or "The Tool" as I now call him) filled up about 5-10 mins with his little "bit" there. Name it, extend it, release a new one every 2 weeks or month. Build it as a brand.

ANNtv should be the RSS Feed/ANN section that delivers BOTH and any other new content you guys can come up with. By doing this you build a name, keep none-mixing demographics happy while still letting people just watch both videos subsequently, and best of all... grumpy guys like me who are hard to make laugh won't be complaining.

I realize criticizing ANYTHING online (even legit complaints or suggestions) is considered some kind of new ultimate taboo. Nonetheless, ANN seems decent, and receptive to honest critique. You can't keep everyone happy all the time, and this I have no problem with. Hopefully no flame wars will ensue.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I might find it easier to "lighten up" if the term "review" was not being used to describe Mr. Toole's screed. That was a "review" of Kanon in the same sense that Rush Limbaugh's take on a Hillary Clinton speech might be referred to as a "review": it was a lampoon at best and a hatchet-job at worst. Any reviewer is going to come equipped with biases and prejudices, but the good ones do not revel in them. I can - and have - disagreed with a reviewer while still being able to respect their opinion when it was clearly based on things other than their positive or negative preconceptions. Mr. Toole, however, has done nothing to earn that sort of respect. Call him a commentator or a comedian if you will, but calling what he does a "review" is an insult to those on your staff whose work actually merits the term.
GregZor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Jump Show made me LOL in real life multiple times. It's great that theres some guy from way back when that probably used to trade VHS tapes that can do a segment with a calm voice and be funny and entertaining without being one of those taped-up-glasses nerdy sounding self-loathing comic-book-guy-from-the-Simpsons types. I enjoyed the introduction to who you were and saw that it was necessary so that we know your qualifications.

You spoke very well and have a calm voice much like a professional narrator. I enjoyed your review of both shows and particularly enjoyed the history behind the older anime. Being someone who has only been into anime for like 10 years, understanding the older stuff and the history of the voice actors and the history of what companies did what is very interesting to me and is something I feel helps me be a more rounded anime fan. I also think you should totally use the "F*** it! Let's watch some cartoons!" as your permanent tagline.

One complaint I do have however is how many times you reused the cannon joke. It got dull...quick. But the Queen thing was awesome because Freddy Mercury was awesome. Also, fetal alcohol syndrome should become a running joke because it is also funny...in the "Oh my God I'm such a terrible person to have laughed at that" sort of way..

The jab at Megatokyo and it's terrible art further cemented you in my list of "Badass Anime Reviewers". I hope to see more of your reviews. Keep up the attitude, keep saying what you want to say no matter how terrible and demeaning to the anime it is. Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time!

Edit: I'm certainly seeing other people's views on the idea that you should not be part of ANNnews. You should totally have your own entirely different show called something like "Angry Anime Nerd" or "Totally Badass Anime Review Show" where you just rip shows apart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7