• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - 2008-01-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Anime Jump Show. I hope you get around to fixing the website though Mike- those reviews are gold....

I think Mike nailed Kanon down in a pretty funny way, and the whole mercury poisoning thing was quite fun [after reading AnimeJump's review of Happy Lesson, then watching the show's first ep myself, I came to the conclusion that particular moe show's lead suffers from Stockholm syndrome]. To those who didn't like it- he did point out the production values and dub were quite good Anime smile So it's not all bad. And I hope we see all kinds of wonderful stuff from Old and Stupid.... the Alakazam review was fun [and for those wondering what Mike means by Tezuka's lunacy, Black Jack's coming back into print soon- go read that Smile]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

As a self-admitted fanboy of Kanon and its genre
All right, I'll drop it, I just felt like bringing a few things up, and I feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

And I hope we see all kinds of wonderful stuff from Old and Stupid.... the Alakazam review was fun [and for those wondering what Mike means by Tezuka's lunacy, Black Jack's coming back into print soon- go read that Smile]

Funny thing is, I always assumed it was the dude who played Speed Racer who played the lead character in the thing... so I was surprised to learn that it was actually some other... dude [Frankie Avalon] who was put in the credits, but like, they tagged his name there in order to promote the movie and he didn't actually play the character.

That was informative.

That said, is the show EVERY WEEK or just the last show of the month?

I'm kinda confused on that point.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

Quote:
The Anime Jump Show will appear in the last episode of each month

Either way you cut it, that's once a month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
DKL wrote:

Quote:
The Anime Jump Show will appear in the last episode of each month

Either way you cut it, that's once a month.

Yeah, I was reading that too, but some people were all: "can't wait for next week's episode!"

But yes, Toole needs to come out more; I literally watched the thing twice since it was THAT awesome.

The internets has meaning again (okay, not really like that, but you get the idea).
Sonata-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I thought this week's ANNtv was good, and yay for animated backgrounds, so a big thumb's up to Andrew Yeoh for his work! Moving on to Mike Toole's segment of the video clip, I was skeptical at first of the segment itself, but then again, the sarcastic statements he makes is somewhat humorous to say the least and can be informative at times, so looking forward to more.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

...and I flinched every time he said 'mow-ay'. [/nitpick]

Re-Mow-Ay, well, that's how it's pronounced. Not Moe like the Simpson's bartender, but Mo-Eh, phonetically.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
It's possible to make just about anything sound dumb if you ask the audience to first join you in making the assumption that it's dumb. The Kanon segment made some good points in a sarcastic way, and some people who weren't willing to accept the original slant might find it hard to laugh along.

And yes, it's pronounced "mo-eh" rather than "mow" like "mow the lawn."
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And yes, it's pronounced "mo-eh" rather than "mow" like "mow the lawn."

Exactly my point. There's a vast difference between 'eh' and 'ay'.

Quote:
Bottom Line: I'd prefer "The Anime Jump Show" to be a standalone podcast distributed by ANN, so ANNtv can have more interviews & video features, but I'll live with this for now.

I agree. Whether this segment is 'good' or 'bad' is a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact is that it's very, very opinionated. I think this is why so many people got angry; Opinion pieces like this just dont seem to 'fit in' with the more 'serious' news reporting.
Just like ANN headlines/reports dont include the writer's opinions on the matter.
As a separate podcasty movie thing alltogether, however, it could be interesting. Maybe he could talk about more series, it seems he spent too long on each. It could have a theme song and everything.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

I agree. Whether this segment is 'good' or 'bad' is a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact is that it's very, very opinionated. I think this is why so many people got angry; Opinion pieces like this just don't seem to 'fit in' with the more 'serious' news reporting.
Just like ANN headlines/reports don't include the writer's opinions on the matter.

Have you ever seen 60 minutes?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
championferret wrote:
I agree. Whether this segment is 'good' or 'bad' is a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact is that it's very, very opinionated. I think this is why so many people got angry; Opinion pieces like this just don't seem to 'fit in' with the more 'serious' news reporting.

Have you ever seen 60 minutes?

I love it when people think they have the right to say what the news should or shouldn't be without real knowledge of how it works. 60 minutes is a perfect comparison.

I quite enjoyed "The Anime Jump Show" segment and I'm a fan of Kanon, too. And its second part was pretty informative. This should stay a recurring feature, whether people like it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I love it when people think they have the right to say what the news should or shouldn't be without real knowledge of how it works. 60 minutes is a perfect comparison.

News - noun - new information about specific and timely events.

"Information" is a pretty broad word, but within the world of news is generally accepted to mean "factual happenings" or something to that effect. GOOD news editorial/commentating/opinion/satire/parody shows tend to market themselves as such. I don't know how 60 Minutes handles their business, but if andy rooney old technology reviews are any indication... well... They may have other problems than "news vs opinion". The "right" I have to determine what I see and don't is changing the channel. What all us complainers are saying, is this... When Animeondvd or some other outlet does THEIR eventual video stream, we don't want to add then to our iTunes and remove ANNtv, because they didn't hear what we like/dislike. They ask for opinions at the end on ANNtv, and we give it. We are entitled to this, despite the fact no one has to like... listen/care/do-anything. ANN is run by big kids. They can figure it out when they get all of our reactions.

I don't know about news verses not news. I just want to see things with similar tone. I kind of like ANNtv. I don't like this "The Tool" segment. They clash entirely. I'd never say pull the segment. People seem to enjoy it. Just don't mix and match into one stream unless that is all that can be done.

On a sidenote, I just noticed this... uh, we probably don't need a "preview" at the beginning for a 4-6 minute news segment. It's 4-6 mins.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
I don't like this "The Tool" segment.

This is too close to a personal attack. Please review our politeness and courtesy rules before posting again.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
I agree with the people who want ANNtv and Mike's segments to be seperate; they just don't mesh well with the news part of the feed.

Last edited by Ojamajo LimePie on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
@Zac: I wouldnt call it a personal attack. I think a 'personal attack' would be more like, "MAN that Toole section SUCKED, so MUCH!" They merely said they didn't 'like' it, and even gave reasons.
This is the feedback thread, and we can all see it's getting very mixed feedback. With all due respect, negative opinions shouldnt necessarily be labelled 'attacks'.
After all, I was under the impression the viewer's feedback was valuable.

It's not that he disliked it. Firstly, his named is Toole, not Tool. And "tool" is a common insult. He may have just misspelled Toole's name, but it was written in a way that looked like he could have meant it to be an insult, and that's why Zac said it was close to a personal attack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7