• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
I'm going to wait for a trailer or some kind of indication of what plot will be like before I complain about the adaptation of my favorite manga ever.

That said, I don't have very high hopes.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:05 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Akira has a Japanese feel to it (not to mention its title) that will feel awkward if it takes place in America.

Don't worry. By the time Hollywood gets done "basing it on the works of Katsuhiro Otomo", it'll be released as Escape from New York 3.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
BTW, Absolute Boyfriend Manga Has Live-Action Korean Show Planned. Anybody gonna complain how they're gonna change that? Confused

My comments would be borderline racism coupled with tired internet memes from 4chan. Or is that technically the same thing?

PetrifiedJello wrote:

Don't worry. By the time Hollywood gets done "basing it on the works of Katsuhiro Otomo", it'll be released as Escape from New York 3.

I doubt Kurt Russell will be able to play Snake Plisskin.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
Ah hell I wish Katsuhiro Otomo would return to animation..the anime world needs another one of his great creations..I always found it strange that Dōmu was never adapted into a animated film or an OVA series anyways it all really depends which actors they sign on and how the screenplay is developed to see if this film will even be worth checking out in the future..they need to go with a vastly better director to get such a massive project like Akira off the ground in the correct manner.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
Oh no, it will be a disaster..
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Astroboy wasn't that bad

Yes. Yes it was. To the point where Japanese audiences were offended by it.

Quote:
Of course, the real-world reason is that it's an American-remake movie, so it makes sense to be set in a place Americans are familiar with.

That and Hollywood thinks American audiences could never accept a non-white protagonist.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Production on what Variety describes as a "potential tentpole project"…

I propose that "potential barge-pole project" is a more fitting figurative term, given one's desire not to touch the finished work with such an implement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Production on what Variety describes as a "potential tentpole project" is set to begin in late February or early March. (A "tentpole" franchise is a property which will, in theory, support a studio financially for much of a particular movie season.)

So, Warner is in for some lean times then? This movie won't make enough to support a backwoods southern family, let alone a movie studio.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
^^I don't know. This is Warner (coughHarryPottercough) we're talking about, and if they really think this thing will financially support them, even for a bit, then I'd be hard-pressed to question their judgement. Yeah, the track record for these Hollywood adaptations of Japanese anime/manga properties isn't really that good (or passable, or even mediocre), but Akira is one of those titles that is better suited for this type of thing than the rest.

Let's wait and see what they come up with. At the very least, let's not pan the film until we can see some of it. It can't possibly be worse than Dragonball Evolution, and that's half the battle right there.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball was for the most part, a goofy series, something Hollywood should have had no problem doing.

If they can't even do something like that, what makes you think they can pull off something like Akira right?

Quote:
One could say it didn't need to be in Tokyo in the original - there are other places it could be. Heck, late 1980's Tokyo more resembles today's socio-economic Manhattan than today's Tokyo anyways.

How does that matter? The story is supposed to take place in dystopian neo-Tokyo to begin with.

Quote:
BTW, Absolute Boyfriend Manga Has Live-Action Korean Show Planned. Anybody gonna complain how they're gonna change that?

Never even heard of that series nor do I know it's settings(does it take place in Korea, Japan, China, etc.)...although in this case atleast Koreans can easily pass off as japanese people.(assuming the characters are japanese)
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="enurtsol"]
Surrender Artist wrote:

BTW, Absolute Boyfriend Manga Has Live-Action Korean Show Planned. Anybody gonna complain how they're gonna change that? Confused

Zing! How much you wanna bet things like this would be said about that "Uh, well that's okay because they are still Asian. Its not like they are American or something. Only Americans mess things up!"
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
At least they won't make it absolutely goddamn unrecognizable, like what American studios have done to Dragonball and almost every video game they touch.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
At least they won't make it absolutely goddamn unrecognizable, like what American studios have done to Dragonball and almost every video game they touch.

Heyheyhey, Street Fighter was spot on in some places!! Pity they sorta fudged on the costumes.....and the AN thing.....
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:

I don't know about EVERY video game. I mean Mortal Kombat 1 is as good of a movie as you could get for that. And even thought the Super Mario Bros movie is realllly silly they did have awesome costumes and Bob Hopkins as Mario is near perfect. Even though that movie is beyond dumb its still fun to watch.

Honestly as long as they make Akira look beautiful in all of its rotten urban-ness and the story is some what in tact. I will be pretty happy.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Street Fighter was an AWESOME movie! As a comedic parody of fighting games that the movie clearly was trying to be, Van Damme was the perfect Guile for such a movie.

Quote:
Zing! How much you wanna bet things like this would be said about that "Uh, well that's okay because they are still Asian. Its not like they are American or something. Only Americans mess things up!"

Despite your sarcasm, you unintentionally go that part right. Koreans are asian, and assuming characters in that Absolute Boy's manga are asians, having Korean actors do them are perfectly fine. How faithful the movie is in other areas will depend on the director's competence....same goes for setting. We don't know whether the adaptation will take place in Korea or wherever it's supposed to take place....or where the manga is supposed to originally take place.

Now if the characters were white, THEN there'd be a problem. Americans can play any characters that are white just fine, europeans, etc. Just like how black characters can only be done by black people. etc. Imagine a movie about Genghis Khan with Ghengis Khan being played by a pasty white guy. Or imagine in Lord of the Rings, if Legolass was played by Christ Tucker instead of Bloom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4