• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone watching Shingetsutan Tsukihime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvspike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I downloaded the first episode on a whim while hunting for Kurogane and I like it! So far it's a good vampire fix with manageable levels of angst.

Story's based on a spaced-out anemic teen who, because of old family baggage (genes), has the power to see with the eyes of death. He teams up with a vampire assassin, Arcueid after an encounter with her in the park and they go off kicking some ass, and going on dates. Dates, mostly.

The series seems to have borrowed alot from hellsing, even the vampire's names are similar. And while it doesn't have quite the style hellsing has it does a better job of exploring the human relationships around the main character. It's also short, at 12 episodes.

Anyone following this series? Thoughts?
Daimonwrath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:59 am Reply with quote
You know what I just watched the first 10 eps its not half bad. I have sort of addiction to Vampire anime. I dont know if it exactly borrows from hellsing though. The story to me is more of a down to earth version of vampires. Where myth doesnt exactly fall in line with the race that they present. They in fact almost took them in a whole new direction. Im intrigued to see this version played out completely. When I first read about this story I just knew about the kid who could see the lines of death. But there seems to be like this wierd love triangle going on too.

Acrueid I think thats her name, she's definately someone I want to see end up with Shiki. But at the same time they completely switch her persona when she sees blood. Of course Shiki plays the typical School kid who is completely devoid of all feelings it seems.
I think that is getting a tad bit old. the amusement park episode was a good example of the Triangle that I saw though.

Well I dont know how much you have seen so I will stop there.
Good stuff though.

Wink

D.W.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
nvspike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:44 am Reply with quote
I've also seen to ep. 10 so no worries about spoiling Smile

At first it pissed me off that Arcueid's character shift is so dramatic, but I've grown to appreciate it. She's good at what she trained for. Killing. And when she sniffs the blood. Shocked
But presenting her social/situational side at a level of a inquisitive child is definately a refreshing turn from the typical cliched all-wise, spent-my-last-millenia-reading-up-on-everything vampire.
Quote:
Acrueid I think thats her name, she's definately someone I want to see end up with Shiki.

Sad really that there's only two more eps. I don't know how much they can resolve between them. Maybe one more date?

Overall, I've been suprised by how much I've enjoyed the show, given its low action content. I wish they'd had more money for animation, and a couple of episodes to explore ciel a bit more.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:33 am Reply with quote
its amazing thats its based on a dojin software fighting game turned dating sim.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Daimonwrath

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:20 am Reply with quote
Dating sim? intresting. Good effort for a series in my opinion but they could go so much deeper.

ITs wierd they tread a fine line of have and have not done this about vampires, I just hope they dont fall into the "have" section. yes 2 eps to go. This should be good. 1 more date? well shiki actually DID take a step forward and say when they werent working that they could go on a legit one.

They need to go more indepth to the one girl who is a dog of the church. I want to see how that runs and stuff too. One thing that bothered me about acruied is that she lived for 800 years yet she hadn't seen a lot of things. But then she explains it later that she just does her hunt job and goes back to sleep, its still a bit odd though She had a naive sense about her. .

D.W.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The Spatula

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:55 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
its amazing thats its based on a dojin software fighting game turned dating sim.

Actually, it's the other way around. The doujin fighting game is based on the original concept doujin visual novel (read: dating sim). It's one of the few examples of an original fan-made product becoming so popular that it spawns its own commercial anime. Cool stuff.

*Goes back to playing Melty Blood (a doujin game of a doujin game).
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Cool

I just finished ep11 last night and this is one of my favorite animes.

Arcuied is also one of my favorite anime females. Her character is just so darn likeable and for an anime character she is just soo darn cute.

The almost childlike innocence yet not innocent is a new angle I haven't seen done before.

I can already tell Im not going to like the ending but I think this will be one of my all time favorite animes. Even if you dont like this genre IMHO this is a very well done anime.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:00 pm Reply with quote
all my sources say meltyblood then tsukihime. (himeyasoft and such)

Melty blood is fun game.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Spatula

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:25 am Reply with quote
From the webpage:
http://www.typemoon.org/main.html

Tsukihime was released at Comiket 59 (Winter 2000) while Melty Blood was released at Comiket 63 (Winter 2002).
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:49 am Reply with quote
i stand corrected.
nvspike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:58 am Reply with quote
Anlushac11 wrote:

I can already tell Im not going to like the ending but I think this will be one of my all time favorite animes. Even if you don't like this genre IMHO this is a very well done anime.

Hell, I just finished ep. 11 and I already don't like where it's heading. Part of that is frustration that the series is so short, they have a winning formula here that I could watch for at least one more season.

The other part is the feeling that they are hurrying along the plot with some unrealistically fast/improbable plot twists. Arcueid's vampiric instincts seem to abandon her quite conveniently in the closing moments of the episode. Love conquers all? Bit too pat for me.
GUTB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:08 am Reply with quote
Okay, how many H-game anime adaptions do we have going this season?

Tsukihime
Kiminozo
Yami to Boushi

...what else?

Tsukihime is/was an extraordinarily popular game. Kiminozo is better (both game and anime) and also very popular. Yami is supposed to be a good game, but the anime adaption blows.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:28 am Reply with quote
I watch it! Slow at times, but I like it. *just wish it had less of the obvious dating sim elements, but that's asking too much*
Daimonwrath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:50 am Reply with quote
Anlushac11 wrote:

I can already tell Im not going to like the ending but I think this will be one of my all time favorite animes. Even if you don't like this genre IMHO this is a very well done anime.

Well I must check out this ep. I would agree though that it does feel slightly rushed and vague at the same time but so many animes do that nowadays. I think one of the worst vague plots though I enjoyed was the anime is Samarai Deeper Kyo. (Staying on topic) I just hope that Shingetsutan Tsukihime doesnt end prematurely and another season is made afterwards.

D.W.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:00 am Reply with quote
finally someone mentions it. This is one of the only fansubs I've been dling. With only one ep left it will be interesting to see what happens, makes you wish they would do more huh? Very Happy . I've tried to get the first game, and then melty blood aswell, but no luck. They have a THIRD installment coming out this january called FATE:stay night which looks to be pretty interesting. You can DL a demo version but I had no luck in getting it to work on my pc either, so frustrating. you can google search for TYPE MOON and find stuff.

spoiler[shiki gets laid in ep 11. That a boy! shiki!, why'd arcruied leave though? guess we'll find out.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2