• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comcast Plans AZN Television Channel's Shutdown

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
While I loved the International Channel, I really disliked AZN. It changed the programming too much, often played dubs rather than subs (or raws), seemed to have gotten rid of the Japanese dramas IC would show (or else just put them at a totally different time?), and really narrowed the focus in a way I didn't like. I find it odd that I got IC and then AZN when I was with Insight, but when I switched to Comcast after moving to a different part of the stage, it wasn't carried in my area.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Comcast is just trying to make more money by offering less.......
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see this news post until now, so here's what I posted in another thread.

Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:
Thanks Mr.Brian! Very Happy
billyarnie wrote:

Well, this sucks. Evil or Very Mad Can't say that I haven't been neglecting that channel though. Last time I watched AZN was when they were airing Moonphase.

Yep, this sucks. I'm one of the 10 people that got it and I really appreciated the anime they showed. Any time an anime network shuts down it's a sad, sad day.

*moment of silence for AZN*

RIP AZN.

Mylene, I do partly agree with you, at least. They were kind of annoying with always changing the schedule. They would also say they'd air anime and then not air it. I never really watched anything else on AZN. I'm still sad I've lost a source of anime.
IndigoSkies

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I never actually watched the anime offered on that channel, but I watched Japonica Logos, Ainori, and Abarenbo Mama (all Japanese non-anime shows) every Sunday. (now Abarenbo Mama's over, so I don't know how the schedule's going to change) Ainori's one of my favorite non-anime TV shows, really sad to see it go. Sad
jel123

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the channel attracted about 13.9 million viewers, which was lower than expected, and the audience was not increasing...
With nothing to compare it to 13.9 million sounds like a lot. Is that 13.9 million a day/week/month/year/lifetime? Do other specialty channels have more viewers 2X... 10X... more?

[EDIT: According to Broadcasting & Cable it's 13.9 million homes not viewers (subtle difference). This makes a little more sense seeing as it's the number of households that _could_ be watching not the actual audience at any particular time. Makes it feel even more like Comcast was stacking the deck against AZN by dropping it from the more common analog line ups. Sad ]
[EDIT-2: Should be subtle not subtitle difference Embarassed]

As far as the audience not increasing - maybe Comcast is at least partially to blame;
At my previous residence Comcast removed IC from my cable line up about a month after I discovered the awesome shows they carried. About a year ago I moved to another town where Comcast happened to carry AZN. At the end of August, just as the good stuff (Last Exile, Kakurenbo, Moon Phase) started airing they did it again - AZN was dropped from my line up and became available only on digital cable.

So, in my opinion, it doesn't appear that Comcast was really trying to make AZN work.

Last edited by jel123 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember when International Channel showed raw episodes of DBZ & subbed eps of Slayers. Those were the days....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Gee, you don't supposed the "viewership not increasing" had anything to do with Comcast not even carrying the channel in some of their markets, do ya?

As Mylene has already noted, they don't carry either IC or AZN in the Central Indiana market and, to my knowledge, never have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tidusora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Is this the channel that once had Hikaru no Go in Japanese?
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
AZN is shutting down. NOOOOOOOOOO No more Coffee Prince....Oh my god this is depressing! And not because of the anime which I never watched on AZN anyway. Where will I get my asian dramas fix now? Honestly this is horrible. My sisters will be in tears when I tell them.
kenshin77

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if comcast and satellite companies would stop being so exclusive with their channels, AZN might have attracted more viewers from Directv and Dish Network. You can hardly find these Cable exclusive channels on Satellite. AZN could have survived if this was done.
mystes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
This is too bad. I never watched anime on AZN since it was dubbed, but I will miss all the subtitled Korean dramas and raw Japanese shows (especially Fujisankei news! I need to find some other way to get Japanese news). I would imagine that one problem with the channel was that all their programming would cater to entirely different audiences. Also, I have trouble believing that anybody watched their original programming; I sure hope it was cheaper to produce than licensing something else to show, because they have no excuse otherwise.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
mystes wrote:
This is too bad. I never watched anime on AZN since it was dubbed, but I will miss all the subtitled Korean dramas

Me too. AZN did not play much anime and absolutely nothing I liked. I can't think of a single anime i have ever watched on that channel but I watched all their korean dramas.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Hahaa, that's funny! Comcast shuts it down for not getting enough viewers, yet they don't even offer it to all Comcast subscribers!

IT'S FUNNY, IT'S FUNNY. Whose fault is it, really? I have nothing to mourn about because I never got the chance to watch it.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
jel123 wrote:
At the end of August, just as the good stuff (Last Exile, Kakurenbo, Moon Phase) started airing they did it again - AZN was dropped from my line up and became available only on digital cable.

They did this in my area too. It was really frustrating because I used to watch it all the time, and not just for anime. It not hard to believe AZN failed considering Comcast set it up to fail.

I really don't like Comcast at all. If it wasn't pretty much my only option for TV at the moment I would not be using them.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Where will I get my asian dramas fix now?

I used to get mine from my local PBS affiliate, though they were heavier on Korean dramas than any other Asian programing. Then I moved to Georgia and find myself in a wasteland of programming. You seem to be in the same situation. Wink But as for AZN, when I was in Jersey and using them they never carried the station. Not that I would have used it for anime, since they showed it primarily dubbed. Maybe if Comcast had tried a little harder and actually offered it in more markets, it would have done better. Though if they left it/made it OnDemand, it might succeed. I never liked Comcast anyway. Their service sucked and their prices were way too high.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3